DWARF FORTRESS - Page 49

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Saktoth »

El Idiot wrote:I embark with at least one proficient engraver so I can have happy dwarves off the bat.
Engraving trains REALLY fast, is a great way to get stats, and smoothing gives no quality bonus for skill (IE, the bonus to value is identical for a legendary or a dabbling- it just takes longer).

Carving images gives a skill bonus to value (In fact, it is ONLY a skill bonus) so just smooth everything out to train,then engrave with your new legendary engravers who can now crush goblin skulls with their teeth.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

pharoph

Post by pharoph »

thats just fricken awsome. im still waiting to experience the funnies. plus something else went terrible today. DCWARF FORTRESS GOT CURRUPT! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

sinbadEV can you supply me the NEW links? thanks.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Inflate error?

Stop closing DF from task manager.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Inflate error?

Stop closing DF from task manager.
I close it from task manager a lot. Never had an inflate error.

In fact, DF has never crashed on me.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

pharoph wrote:sinbadEV can you supply me the NEW links? thanks.
There is NO reason a site like DF should hang or crash your browser.
FIX it already!
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

dont worrie. i just googled the file. problem solved!

anyways i have moved up on my progress on dwarf fortress.
I HAVE *beep* SETLERS!!!!
21 new settlers ready to go. but i have no idea what to do with them.
mostly i eed to build heaps of new structures and beds and get them all working. this. is. MASSIVELY. AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

pharoph wrote:dont worrie. i just googled the file. problem solved!

mostly i eed to build heaps of new structures and beds and get them all working. this. is. MASSIVELY. AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're supposed to put them in a room outside your fort and shoot them
manored

Post by manored »

pharoph wrote:dont worrie. i just googled the file. problem solved!

imigrants always come in bigger numbers than you would wish :) Yeah you need to build lots of new stuff, and assign usefull jobs for then as most dwarves come set to do useless (that you dont have in your fort) jobs.

I recommend you mark your 7 originals and any new ones you assign jobs to by changing their prof name and adding something easy to identify, such as an X somewhere, so you can tell who are the guys that need new jobs.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ok
i have most of them doing jobs except 2 but i need help on something else now.

the fighting system.
im a little confused on this and it seems annoying and body explainng it would prove helpfull
:/
just 2 questions
how do i assign dwarves to a squad?
how do i make my dwarves chase after a selected target? or even how do i selcet a target for my dwarfes to attack?
Michilus_nimbus

You add dwarves to a squad by promoting the squad leader and selecting the dwarf.

You can make them chase opponents on the military screen by pressing "view squad", but it's generally a bad idea. It's useful for killing retreating enemies, but make sure to disable it when defending if you don't like your dwarves like pincushions. Like every dwarf in DF, they usually do whatever they want, so you can't really select a target.
pressing "x" in the main view selects the nearest squad. Then you can station them near an enemy if you want to attack him.

Using a military efficiently is pretty hard, though. Also be prepared to lose many, many dwarves if you like charging goblin sieges like I do. But it' so much more fun than traps. Besides, it's a good use for those soap makers and threshers.

EDIT: Note that next release will probably have a totally different (and probably superior) army system. It will also break backward compatibility, so kiss your current fortress goodbye if you want to move on.
manored

Post by manored »

Well since its his first time with a fortress big enough to start worring about militar I suppose he wont have to abandon his fortress to move on... :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

i have a plan though when ever im gona get attack by straight goblins
ima gona out line my mote with lotsa traps so when the try to get into my fortress to kill my dwarves they cant because the bridge will be raised, they will line up next to the river which will kill them, and then my archers will fire out of there fortifications. seige engines will also be firing. ihope thatel be good enough. itll be along time till the next version comes out anyway but i am looking foward to the new miltary system.

another question
when the first goblins seige comes, how many dwarf solidgers will i need to defend myself?
does training happen by default when the soligers are takingf time off or do you have to set something?
ive got archer targets and a room set out for them but they dont seem to be training :/
Michilus_nimbus

pharoph wrote: i have a plan though when ever im gona get attack by straight goblins
ima gona out line my mote with lotsa traps so when the try to get into my fortress to kill my dwarves they cant because the bridge will be raised, they will line up next to the river which will kill them, and then my archers will fire out of there fortifications.
Remember you'll have to time it right. The goblins will stop moving as soon as you raise the bridge.
seige engines will also be firing. ihope thatel be good enough.
Catapults are useless. If you're using ballistas, make sure you've got enough ammo.
another question
when the first goblins seige comes, how many dwarf solidgers will i need to defend myself?
As many as possible. Don't put new recruits on the front line though, they'll die fast.
does training happen by default when the soligers are takingf time off?
Yes it does.
ive got archer targets and a room set out for them but they dont seem to be training :/
Make sure you've got enough bone or wooden bolts, dwarves won't train with metal ones.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

pharoph wrote:i have a plan though when ever im gona get attack by straight goblins
ima gona out line my mote with lotsa traps so when the try to get into my fortress to kill my dwarves they cant because the bridge will be raised, they will line up next to the river which will kill them, and then my archers will fire out of there fortifications. seige engines will also be firing. ihope thatel be good enough. itll be along time till the next version comes out anyway but i am looking foward to the new miltary system.

another question
does training happen by default when the soligers are takingf time off or do you have to set something?
Dont bother with seige weapons. Ballistas taking fucking FOREVER to reload/train dwarves

TO be honest, front line defences are really controversial. I mean yeah its cooler and stuff. But not always as effective. I mean a squad of legendary swordsmen will definately fuck everything up that comes to the door. But no matter how legendary they are, an arrow is still an arrow no matter where it comes from.

I personally would just lay down a giant hall way filled with stone/cage traps.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Traps will always be way more time and energy efficient than a military. Yes, a good military can and will protect you from most anything, but it will take years of work and massive amounts of high value metals. Traps, meanwhile, are dirt cheap, and you can put up enough to make you completely invulnerable by the end of the first year.

I usually play without traps, since they're so overpowered (Of course, it's really not that traps are overpowered - they should be deadly. It's that they're too cheap to put up, and the enemy AI is dumb enough to all walk into them endlessly, siege after siege.)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Erom wrote:Traps will always be way more time and energy efficient than a military. Yes, a good military can and will protect you from most anything, but it will take years of work and massive amounts of high value metals. Traps, meanwhile, are dirt cheap, and you can put up enough to make you completely invulnerable by the end of the first year.

I usually play without traps, since they're so overpowered (Of course, it's really not that traps are overpowered - they should be deadly. It's that they're too cheap to put up, and the enemy AI is dumb enough to all walk into them endlessly, siege after siege.)
And I always abandon the first Soil layer after the migrants come and literally dot it with traps.
manored

Post by manored »

I heard siege weapons are usefull against gigant creatures such as dragons, but I have never really used then myself, nor faced a dragon :)
Michilus_nimbus

This must be a pleasant fortress: vomit everywhere and an entire army of goblins rotting in the inner court :mrgreen:
A clean shot with my golden M on a cobaltite background:
Attachments
dfclean.png
dfclean.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
dfbw.png
(32.91 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Last edited by Michilus_nimbus on 13 Sep 2008, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”