P.U.R.E. 0.55 - Page 61

P.U.R.E. 0.55

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

imbaczek

Re: P.U.R.E. 0.55

Post by imbaczek »

I'd also say don't show anything that's not at 100%, just like the healthbars widget.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Well, the way it works right now is that it doesn't show anything at all, if any important values aren't above / below threshold values. So you'd see a little billboard with different values, and it'd be black if that value is not changing, basically.

One thing I guess I could do, though, is instead of having exactly one background, where it's wasting space a lot, I could have small "modules". It'd be a lot like the Healthbars approach, but with a different presentation, basically. Lemme try that tonight, after I get done with IRL, I think that that would work all right, and it wouldn't require any huge change to the logic.
Argh

Post by Argh »

All righty... here we go: lost the useless text, it stacks, it resizes dynamically with camera distance from the ground, it has color coding, and it uses less space. Oh, and it's been "modularized", so that I could add arbitrary stuff to the stack very easily. It was already pretty close, just had to clean up a couple of very minor things.

Close-up, click to see at full resolution.

Zoomed way out, it shrinks but is still visible. That's as small as it gets, so if you're zoomed way, way, way out, you'll see what's happening, gameplay-wise.
Last edited by Argh on 30 Aug 2008, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Much nicer. Any idea of when we might see this opened up?
Argh

Post by Argh »

In terms of release dates... I dunno. I'd like to say, "soon", but it really depends on how long the Spring engine takes to get fixed up, given it's current state.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

You are starting to spark my interest lobe of my brain.
clumsy_culhane

Post by clumsy_culhane »

P.U.R.E is looking awesome, although im not too happy about that smoke effect.. looks very sprit-ish and repitive.. ?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

now we're talking, this looks sweeeet.
Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

there needs to be walls, (don't know if you got them or not).
there kinda pointless time wasters, but fun to build and look cool.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

About the box images, I think it looks bad having the 1px line black borders.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Will pure be spammy?
Argh

Post by Argh »

About the box images, I think it looks bad having the 1px line black borders.
I tried that both ways- looks better with the stark contrast there.
im not too happy about that smoke effect.. looks very sprit-ish and repitive.. ?
It's all right, in motion. My main complaint is the CPU cost of throwing lots of particles around. However, even on low-end systems, it'll be all right.

Should do a Lua hack of some new things I learned how to do, to make a more elegant solution, but I'm busy with stuff that's more important at the moment.
there needs to be walls, (don't know if you got them or not).
there kinda pointless time wasters, but fun to build and look cool.
Well... hmm. We can have walls that actually work right, now- i.e., they can have box collision zones. Might actually be worth doing. I'll think about that, maybe put it on the list of things to do when the punch-list is done.
Will pure be spammy?
If you're asking whether it's like NanoBlobs, the answer is no, it's not like NanoBlobs. Anything else gets into arbitrary definitions of what "spammy" means, frankly. Are units free? No. Can you make a lot of them? Absolutely. Will you make a lot of them? Depends on the map and the players.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Got bored today, did this for fun.

Don't read anything deep into it, this was just a screwing-around thing- I'm entitled to actually have fun once in awhile, I think. I reworked the old NB Strider as a quickie project, since I haven't skinned anything for a bit, wanted to do a refresher. Thought it'd be fun to share the results, though:

Put it into NB after I did IRL stuff. It's amazing how crude that game looks, two years later, but then I think about how much was new, and how fast I was going, and how little I even bothered worrying about Quality, since it was a thought experiment that mushroomed anyhow... and I get over it ;)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I like that.

Regarding the changes to your bars, I noticed this in other games and found I had to figure out the mapping from colour - action for some colours, its not always obvious, health for example is an easy mapping to figure out but the others aren't.

So perhaps when the bars are close enough the symbols can fade out to reveal icons in order to speed up the process. Or perhaps they can be put into the gem icons so that they're visible when close up but aren't noticeable far away where they would be too small but you can still tell due to the colour?

Jks widget sort of had the problem but doesn't Jk put the name of the bar inside the bar itself?
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Agreed AF.

If i dont know what the bar represents, it may as well not be there.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Pressure Line wrote: If i dont know what the bar represents, it may as well not be there.
My thoughts exactly.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

obviously, as a new PURE player im not going to instantly know everything, but something like what status bars mean needs to be really obvious.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Argh wrote:Got bored today, did this for fun.

Don't read anything deep into it, this was just a screwing-around thing- I'm entitled to actually have fun once in awhile, I think. I reworked the old NB Strider as a quickie project, since I haven't skinned anything for a bit, wanted to do a refresher. Thought it'd be fun to share the results, though:

mmm i remember that little model of mine, glad to see the remake getting used again. Looks awesome!
FrOzEnTaCo

Re:

Post by FrOzEnTaCo »

Guessmyname wrote:Um, Argh? You might want to change the title:

Purify, Expand, Reclaim, Exterminate abbreviates to PERE, not PURE

pure sounds better then pere imo so -1
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I thought he'd just made a Freudian slip and it was supposed to be Unify?

Return to “Argh's Projects”