fido

fido

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

daan 79

fido

Post by daan 79 »

I having soem fun with wings. this after noon

its abouot 1300 tris
Otherside

Re: fido

Post by Otherside »

you could shave alot of uneeded polys and improve other areas to make it look less boxy
Jasper1984

Post by Jasper1984 »

I am messing with modelling myself(using blender) i made them ridiculously high-poly. But perhaps we need multi-LOD units anyway..
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Feels like a box on flimsy legs.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

I think it has a nice kinda style, I like the reinterpretation of the unit. Agree that it's a bit boxy and the legs don't look quite right though.

Have a look at the legs of fast but sturdy predators. The ratio of upper to lower leg length, and the ratio of total front to hind leg length look wrong for a fast, nimble unit.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/librar ... n_USDA.jpg

I know it's called fido but the shape reminds me more of a lynx.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I fail to see the improvement... oh yeah, set up normals etc. (hit shift+tab for lulz)
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Crayfish: normal predators don't have to deal with bombs etc.
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

yeah i played ca today old fido looks alot better

well i had fun time with it
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Work on the form.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Cavedog render with the brightness turned up a bit to make some parts of the model easier to see.

There are quite a few spots on your model that could be tweaked to save some polies, mostly where you can delete some vertices without sacrificing edges and details.

Such as on the front grill by the head of the unit, the vertices between each square cutout can be removed and if the side grills also have extra vertices from connecting the box grills those can be optimized too.

You might even be able remake the grill section so its just a flat plane, and use alpha transparency on the texture for making those holes, then just build a single box tray inside the head to act as a bottom and give the grill some depth at much lower poly count.

Yellow = inside facing box for depth.
Red = alpha transparency on texture for cutout blank faces.

The connecting cylinders from the legs can also be reduced to 8 sided to match with the shoulders/hips without sacrificing details, once those are smooth shaded and textured you'll never be able to tell if its only 8 sided except at extreme zoom.

I hope these ideas are worth considering.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

woof woof

the 70 ton Barghest mech from battletech :P
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

tx for the replays,

I was looking for soem dogs for reference

omg

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

I tried somthing lse i think i still havent got the right look and also i dotn like the gun on top some how.

I think those legs are better tho, but the thing in the middle is maybe to much mechanical. I think i still need to get the poly down to use less round stuff but thats maybe later.

Jasper1984

Post by Jasper1984 »

@Mr.D: is that Fido +1, or are you just trying to impress daan? Looks cool. :) Only the gun looks a little bulky and how is supposed to move up and down? Don't think it fits the style of the kbots of CA. (But maybe it belongs in another mod/a role in core.)

About decreasing poly counts, are there methods for doing this quickly when you have huge amounts of polys? What is easier increasing LOD or decreasing it? Well, decreasing is more susceptible to automation, because the information just isnt there at low poly-counts. Beveling does seem to be a good LOD increaser in some cases.
Nurbs have 'infinite' LOD sometimes, is it practical to use?

I have been dabbling the 3d modeling lately(using blender), and i would prefer to have both LOD increasing and decreasing methods other then redoing it :).
Here is my popup gun, i mean it to be a popup gun of CA ARM. When i figure out movement, i will try to make the torusses move backward (When it shoots, the fire effect currently has rings too.), and let the gun fold forward and then go down (partially) into the ground. I might replace the stem, and maybe i wil make a dome that covers in similarly as the current popup. (Hmm, images are scaled down, decrease size next time.) I looked at the current CA turrets and they are rounded too.

@daan: funky hinges :)
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

tx :oops: well i tried a differetn gun

@jasper i think you should just try LOD since one should be the first :D

greetz
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I think it's getting worse. :(
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

the 70 ton Barghest mech from battletech :P

Barghest is ok. i prefer the Golaith mini personally

MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I think the first one was the closest to the cavedog OTA cinema model and just needs some fine tuning and proportions adjusted here and there, but with the others models you're tweaking you get points for creativity :-) they're just a bit blocky looking IMO.

that Pic of the white Goliath looks like a great design to work from too.

The bottom line = do what you want, just do your best, if you're happy with it, thats all that counts really.
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

Hi

Tx for all the commands. I will now stop raping the fido :D. I this model i tried something really different. Well i love the old model alot.

I felt more free in last models. LOL it shows they are a bit out the ordinary. maybe i should start make first soem own made stuff to learn.

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

oh i coudnt resist last one :D

Return to “Art & Modelling”