Nvidia gpu debacle

Nvidia gpu debacle

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Nvidia gpu debacle

Post by AF »

Well I thought I had a borked gpu but now it turns out that my G80 based gpu is the only Geforce 8 class gpu that isn't affected by the horrible horrible manufacturing flaw.

For those who don't know, all geforce 8800GT 8600 8400 9200 9600 etc etc they're all defective parts, be they desktop cards or laptop gpus. It would seem only those based on the G80 core and the newer GT280 type cards are unaffected
BaNa

Re: Nvidia gpu debacle

Post by BaNa »

AF wrote:Well I thought I had a borked gpu but now it turns out that my G80 based gpu is the only Geforce 8 class gpu that isn't affected by the horrible horrible manufacturing flaw.

For those who don't know, all geforce 8800GT 8600 8400 9200 9600 etc etc they're all defective parts, be they desktop cards or laptop gpus. It would seem only those based on the G80 core and the newer GT280 type cards are unaffected
[citation needed]
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Needs at least a little elaboration to start with.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

old news?

the flaw is that the gpu can't stand the heat it was designed for, but this shows up only after prolonged use. (at least that's what it was about two weeks ago.)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Elkvis

Post by Elkvis »

Yeah, but as of yet nVidia are dodging the bullet and denying there is a problem with the entire series (just a certain few batches to specific manufacturers. which is bullshit. its widely understood to be a complete design failure).

The problem is with power cycling. getting hot then cold then hot again. As such a desktop that is on all the time will probably be minimally effected. However, laptops are very badly effected.

There are patches with help alleviate the problem by turning the fan on maximum all the time. All it really does it put the actual failure off until the warranty expires.

In general nVidia are now in shit creek. They already make inferior and defective chipsets. Now their graphics cards are both inferior and defective.

My laptop has a 140M. the workstation variant of the 8500. Uses the same architecture. I'm screwed. But, it makes me very glad that I got 3 year warranty with this baby.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Have they been pulled from shops? Coze i am going to be in the market for one next month and don't want to end up getting a stupid one.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Its not a matter of if your card is defective, they're all defective. Don't buy geforce cards built on the affected chip types.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

What about all the people with G92s and G94s that work just fine?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You know, an Nvidia card that will die before 3 years have passed is still a better buy than an ATI card for somebody who uses linux.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Peet wrote:What about all the people with G92s and G94s that work just fine?
Count themselves lucky and watch out for potential symptoms
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

AF wrote:links
ouch. good thing I got myself a 4850.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I've got a G80 so I couldn't care less
Argh

Post by Argh »

LOL, so that's why the 9800GTS doesn't quite hit the same OC benchmarks that the 8800GTS did. Makes sense.

Meh, what a bad series of decisions by nVidia. I know that a company like that, always having to feed today's profits into tomorrow's engineering... is not in good shape to meet a major recall problem like this. Not being really straightforward about investigating their own problems and fessing up (let alone writing a BIOS to lower the clock speeds down to a point where the thermal load isn't so bad, or some other aftermarket solution besides running fans constantly) is a really bad policy decision.

I just hope it doesn't ruin the company, ATi / AMD need real competition, and nobody else has the technology to do that.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

I have an 8800GT. It's been great so far. Maybe it will spontaneously explode one day though, I'll let you know.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Another reason i am looking at ATI cards heh.
Evil4Zerggin

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

Argh wrote:I just hope it doesn't ruin the company, ATi / AMD need real competition, and nobody else has the technology to do that.
Heh. Back when Core 2s and GeForce 8s were first coming out I was worried in the other direction (although I admit to not being the most informed about the way things are really going). It's a pity that the thing swinging things in favor of DAAMIT is faulty nVidia cards... especially since I own one.

Edit: Hmm... it looks like mine is based on the G80. Which is a good thing since I'm not one of those leave-computer-on-24/7 people.
Last edited by Evil4Zerggin on 13 Aug 2008, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I have a 9600GT and have never been happier. PNY brand if you happen to care. I've always had good luck with vid cards purchased through that brand.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ive a PNY card and it took them ages to write back to my email about TDR crashes.

However newer cards such as the GT280 are not vulnerable as far as Im aware.
det

Post by det »

neddiedrow wrote:You know, an Nvidia card that will die before 3 years have passed is still a better buy than an ATI card for somebody who uses linux.
ATI HD4850 on Linux, here. No problems so far.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”