GhostRadar v1.11 *fixed*

GhostRadar v1.11 *fixed*

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

very_bad_soldier

GhostRadar v1.11 *fixed*

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Once you had line of sight to an enemy unit you see the unit ghosted near the radar dot.

See it in action:

Thanks to trepan and jK for examples and help!

Changelog
v1.11:
-fixed: spectator mode

v1.1:
-Bugfix

Download from jobjol.nl:
http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1274
Last edited by very_bad_soldier on 02 Aug 2008, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
Hoi

Re: GhostRadar v1.0

Post by Hoi »

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Tried RadarAI? ;)
very_bad_soldier

Thats not funny, I can't even tell them apart when using ingame.
So it is there for a long long time yes? Great :cry: Never knew about it, I thought RadarAI just tells you when enemies are entering the radar zone.

At least you dont have to select the radarAI to use it :?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

dont worry, you can extend it, like adding construction and healthbars!
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

nice widget, but:

Error in DrawWorld(): [string "LuaUI\Widgets\unit_ghostRadar.lua"]:115: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'y' (a nil value)
Removed widget: Ghost Radar v1.0
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Borderline OMG HAXX but really useful :)
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Beherith wrote:Borderline OMG HAXX but really useful :)
HAXX would be displaying Commanders pre-LOS if unitID < playercount+1... :p
very_bad_soldier

ginekolog wrote:nice widget, but:

Error in DrawWorld(): [string "LuaUI\Widgets\unit_ghostRadar.lua"]:115: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'y' (a nil value)
Removed widget: Ghost Radar v1.0
Did you had this in a normal game? I got it sometimes while testing and switching teams by cheat but never in a normal game. Anyway, I fixed that one, should not happen again.

I dont even know if it makes sense to spend even more time on this, but Hoi thx, I like your idea, this seems to be a way to go.
ginekolog

Re: GhostRadar v1.1 *fixed*

Post by ginekolog »

ye, normal game on dsx - with water.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

This ability does seem pretty dodgy in terms of impact on gameplay. A player without it faces a severe disadvantage vs a player with it.

Strikes me that ghosted radar units are not that hard to implement through the engine, and could have been if they were given the chance. This sort of change looks like it would be best off as a mod-side decision, not something that only the players in the know should have.

Not trying to take anything away from you, VBS, you've obviously done a great job - I'm just musing on the implications of such a widget, and further widgets.

While I'm still musing, I really think the Spring lobby should allow you to browse and autodownload widgets that the other player is using to keep the playing field more level.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Great, works like a charm now, but can you make it remove itself when you become spec? It kinda goes crazy then.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Warlord Zsinj wrote: While I'm still musing, I really think the Spring lobby should allow you to browse and autodownload widgets that the other player is using to keep the playing field more level.
This is a very good idea.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

bug: the widget works when u r a spec too, could u please fix it
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

The hell, this shouldn't be a player widget. This needs to be a gadget that has an option to be turned on/off for everyone in modrules. I mean, why else do we have ghosted buildings as an engine-level option that the host can choose to enable/disable?

Oh, but in the meantime, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: !
UAF

Post by UAF »

But we can always get the same result if we just turn on the RadarAI. All the widget do is save you the mouse clicks required to turn it on.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

No, the problem here is that if one person has it, and the other person doesn't know about it, the person that has it has an advantage. This advantage is purely because one person sits on the spring forums, while the other doesn't.

You cannot have a purely competitive environment in a situation where there are any other variables other then player skill.
very_bad_soldier

Re: GhostRadar v1.11 *fixed*

Warlord Zsinj wrote:This ability does seem pretty dodgy in terms of impact on gameplay. A player without it faces a severe disadvantage vs a player with it.
Yeah, but this is a general problem with widgets. There are lots of widgets out there which I would say give you huge advantages above users without it. "Freak" users have lots of possibilities to enhance "their" spring by LUA.

On the other hand, in this particular case, the funcionality comes as default by RadarAI which is quite funny. Did anyone knew about it?? I mean, the problem is even that there are features in spring no one knows about ;)
Warlord Zsinj wrote: Strikes me that ghosted radar units are not that hard to implement through the engine, and could have been if they were given the chance. This sort of change looks like it would be best off as a mod-side decision, not something that only the players in the know should have.
True. I think it is wrong that the LUA-CallIn UnitEnteredRadar provides you with the actual UnitID of that unit. I think that is more information than a radar could provide and I dont understand the reason behind it. Maybe that callin could be changed to not provide that information? I would not be sad about it.
Warlord Zsinj wrote: While I'm still musing, I really think the Spring lobby should allow you to browse and autodownload widgets that the other player is using to keep the playing field more level.
I thought about this before, maybe I will give something like this a try in form of a standalone app at some time.

BTW:
Spectator mode fixed.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Standalone app could be helpful, but lobby integration would be ideal.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

just add to the new downloader?

Return to “Lua Scripts”