Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 123

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Hoi

Re: Random WIP

Post by Hoi »

smoth wrote:Learn what was inside of those tutorials I linked you to.
i did/ am doing that, some early attempts i made:
Last edited by Hoi on 26 Jul 2008, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Those look very nice hoi - the difficulty is knowing when to use what trick in what situation.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Xenon spire - trains infantry
well, not finished ofc but i have a question, i want to have doors, that can open and close (duh :P) what should i do for that in the model?
e: i want the doors to slide away in the model
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

very impressive improvements hoi, I hope someone as willing to learn like yourself ends up in the games industry :)
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Keithus wrote:very impressive improvements hoi, I hope someone as willing to learn like yourself ends up in the games industry :)
heh, lets start small:)
but i want the doors (the faces all the way below the windows) to slide in the model, i think that i can cut them in two and let them slide (dunno how yet :P ) but i want to prevent clipping, any tips?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

been really busy with IRL but didnt want to abandon my model

still working on the normals b4 uvmapping it again and doing texture
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

IRL= in real life?
nice model ,i like the legs:)
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I made a jeep. Obviously not for anything I'm working on right now. It's higher poly than I normally do, so I'm looking to get better.

It's apparently a WIP. Not sure if I'll redo the suspension/wheels or not. The body seems to need more detail. The gun is missing the ammo belt, which comes from the extruded area on the jeep. May or may not move the lights on to the wheel covers. Still haven't done the bumper bar.

4216 polys so far. I believe I'll end up with 5500-5750.

Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Nice jeep!

940 tri's
well ,its (nearly) done(i even set edge hardness!!!). as said before, commander building, it will fire missiles from the head and it will nano between those spiky things on the top, time to watch some tv or do something else now, texturing starts tomorrow morning:)
and some questions, when im going to uvmap it, i made the faces you dont see (the ground) a hole material, but they do come in the uv, if i use ignore faces will there be any problems/things i shoudnt do?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

nice jeep, but is that for spring? i hope its not a spamable unit :shock:

speaking of which playing a lot for mech commander 2 source ive been thinking that a lot of my models are too high poly for their use in the game. the mc2 engine is similar to spring, battles usually range from small to medium skirmishes. looking at the texture and models, about 2 times as many polis as ota, and each texture is about 256 at the most. and the game looks good. so am maybe thinking this is about the same scale i should be using for spring mods since the visual performance should be similar, battles slightly larger, and average computer has increased since the days mc2 was released. but thats another whole topic....
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

3do's are rendered two times (something like that) becaus of face loss, so an s3o with 500 tris is better than an 3do with 300 tris
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

yes but whats the point of some of those pretty details when you have 100 of them running amok and your zoomed out to a larger tactical scale
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, that can be argued about any model. What is your zoom level?
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

bobthedinosaur wrote:speaking of which playing a lot for mech commander 2 source.
good to hear you got onto that bob :) glad i could help (although it was mentioned earlier in the BT thread, i think it got a bit lost lol)

ive got more to say, but i think i will say it in the BT thread to save this one from even more clutter ;)
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

I don't think it'd be impossible to design things that look great up close (due to fine detail) and zoomed out (due to large features of colour and shape).
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

That jeep model is hand down a great looking model.

Yet totally unpractical when it comes to gameplay performance where a LOD system is not in place(yet) with Spring.

You could trim a whole lot of triangles out of that and still end up with a great game usable model for Spring if that was the goal.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yet totally unpractical when it comes to gameplay performance where a LOD system is not in place(yet) with Spring.
It's working in SVN.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

MR.D wrote:That jeep model is hand down a great looking model.

You could trim a whole lot of triangles out of that and still end up with a great game usable model for Spring if that was the goal.
I didn't make it with Spring in mind, but I may just do that :P
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Argh wrote:
It's working in SVN.
Not to our benefit. Everything looks like it's had Gaussian Blur of three to five pixels applied at game distance.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Not to our benefit. Everything looks like it's had Gaussian Blur of three to five pixels applied at game distance.
That's not the LOD system, it's the mipmapping changes. Bring that up in Dev., with some screens.

Return to “Art & Modelling”