Remove the Sperm - Page 6

Remove the Sperm

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I thought they where complaining that they're stuff wasnt meeting the guideline I set out? We had this in the logo thread with people posting logos that looked fine but you couldnt change them or they'd be bad or they wherent flexible enough
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Look what I done. Now it looks good. Well done to whichever of you drew that one.

aGorm

PS : I say i done, i mean the SY's have done
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

Well I guess we are still open to suggestions. The one I tried now is a bit jpeg-artifacty.. But I guess it does look better than the old one. :)
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I really dont see any jpeg artis meself... but then agian, who knows :O ... kudos to wohever did the new one, the blind effect makes it look great.
RightField

Post by RightField »

:D
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Now for a replacment I was thinking a flash animation of wireframe untis moving along a battlefield...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Uhm... I know it's nifty and all... but arn't we all too cool for flash?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Nooo... were never to cool for flash...

aGorm
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Flash is non-standard. Flash is also a bandwidth and not compatible across all systems.

In short, it wold be st0pid to use Flash.

JPEG + Text + GIF -> WIN
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

JPEG + Text + GIF -> WIN
Yea, if you like an FPS of 6...

All gif animations i've ever seen are SUPER choppy. If we want a peewee that walks under a strobe lamp, sure, use gif >.>
Uhm... I know it's nifty and all... but arn't we all too cool for flash?
Flash is to cool for you!
Flash is non-standard. Flash is also a bandwidth and not compatible across all systems.
Even if it's not standart, almost everyone has it. A bandwidth? You mean a strain on the bandwidth right? bah, flash files are super small, specaly for a small animation like this!
I dunno about the compatible issue.

Flash is good program, with smooth movements and low file size thanks to the vector grapichs(and with low filesize i mean for what it is doing, animation). Also, we can add sound to the flash, can be scripted into doing stuff, Esay to understand and blablabla...*rambles on*
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Holy hell mother of christ NO FUCKING FLASH.

I will personally fly to your homes and castrate every single one of you with a rusty spoon if flash is used, especially if it's flash with sound. Diiiiiiiiiie...

And not everyone has broadband, you know, and when you're on a shitty connection every little kilobyte counts... no need to waste everyone's time and patience with a dumb flash animation that would only work to distract...
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Im just saying that if we are going to do some sort of animation: Flash > Gif.

Besides, im on 56k adsl, and you are overeacting.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

OK, make everyone happy. Have a SMALL Flash animation that does not take long to download, to keep the 56k'ers happy. Then, for the people that dont have flash, put the current pictrue up instead. Solves size issues, and compatability issues, and makes it look good.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Or just keep the current one, since there's nothing wrong with it...
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Gnome.... very rarely does someone manage to piss me of, but whatyou just said did so...
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy hell mother of christ NO FUCKING FLASH.

I will personally fly to your homes and castrate every single one of you with a rusty spoon if flash is used, especially if it's flash with sound. Diiiiiiiiiie...

And not everyone has broadband, you know, and when you're on a shitty connection every little kilobyte counts... no need to waste everyone's time and patience with a dumb flash animation that would only work to distract...
Lets look at it liek this... to make a nice gif that dont look crap, you either have to 1) use a 256 colour gif and nothing short of 1 frame every 10th of a second
2) have a gif that only uses a few shades anyway (and hence can have less than 256 colours without looking crap) and that just has a blinking light or somthing.

And even then... for somthing as big as that banner (its actully quite big you know) your looking a atleast 40 k for somthing good.

With falsh you could have a background jpg (which will compress a darnsite better than a gif) and as much vector art as you want, all with nice smoth animations and it would almost certanly be smaller in file size!

Not to mention you could have several differnt jpgs and have them load in the background after everything else, the fact that flash streams down and can be setto load ofter the page... and you can do scripting to make even cooler stuff happen.

Flash is not the devil

aGorm
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I don't think Gnome was clear... did any of us say that animated GIFs weren't the devil either?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I don't think Gnome was clear... did any of us say that animated GIFs weren't the devil either?
Yes... I know.. I never said they were either! However I'll rectify that:

Gifs are the Devil!

aGorm
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

By god this is the stupidest idea i've heard in ages, why the F.U-K do you need a fsking animated banner? How much horsesh.t have you numskulls been swallowing? You don't need a fsking animated banner BECAUSE THERE's NO POINT.

Christ ive heard some bad ones, but this takes the fsking cake.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Dragon45 wrote:By god this is the stupidest idea i've heard in ages, why the F.U-K do you need a fsking animated banner? How much horsesh.t have you numskulls been swallowing? You don't need a fsking animated banner BECAUSE THERE's NO POINT.

Christ ive heard some bad ones, but this takes the fsking cake.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Why have a banner at all? the page could be functional without one, infact I don't see the point in all the background images and deviders either. Why not just have a bare bones HTML page?

Maby because it's astetically unpleasing... :roll:

I'd argue that an animated banner probably wouldn't add anything to the current page... at least not until you start trying to sell spring software. But if an animated banner is added, it would be because it looks good, and for no other reason.

Return to “Art & Modelling”