Reiteration, repition, scaredness, Computer, Graphix Card?!?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

I apologize for what is in the topic, and how it does describe this post.

Simple question: about 1000 doller budget usd ( *sad face* weak monies must buy fast), and I am making a box. I think I shall use the q6600, and some sata hd, a psu perhaps, but what is it GRAPHICS CARD?

Should I get nvidia 8800gt?
Should I get nvidia 9000 series?
Should I get an ATI card? Drivers are shit? Value???!?!?!?
Should maek supar computer and use software driver? (lol)

Plox halp moi.

Sorry for a bad english ;).
Cabbage

Re: Reiteration, repition, scaredness, Computer, Graphix Card?!?

Post by Cabbage »

ATI 4870 will get you by far the biggest bang for your buck, less than half the price of a 280GTX, and almost as powerful, they'll be out very soon
tombom

Post by tombom »

you pretended to be a girl for several months or more
Tribulexrenamed

Thank you for your inumerably invaluable input tombom. There is a space very close to my heart that is reserved for people like you.

@ cabbage: Srsly? Will spring work on it? Will it have the same shitty drivers that dont work on linux?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

At this moment 8800 GT (at a fair price) is your best value. When 4870 comes out, it will be your best value.

People cry when you mention ATI drivers, that's because they haven't owned an ATI card in 10 years.

ATI is quite a lot better than it was in terms of drivers, compared to how they were even a few years ago. They're probably still not on Nvidia's level with customization and fancy stuff, but let's face it: you'd probably have those extras turned off anyway to improve your framerate.

Transparency antialiasing for instance. I don't know if ATI does this yet, I haven't checked recently. But the point is, it's an awesome idea, it works pretty well most of the time, but it costs me 10-30% of my FPS in many games so I just try not to look directly at any chain link fences.
tombom wrote:you pretended to be a girl for several months or more
At least he was only pretending. Some people really ARE girls! What a ****ed up world.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

ATI drivers suck at the thing you care about if you're reading this forum, that is, opengl support - they just stopped caring for versions < 3 (due Q1 2009). This means someone who cares more would need to, uh, "fix" spring, since somehow other opengl games do fine (ET:QW e.g.)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ATI driver OpenGL support isnt really OGL support. They take the latest and greatest commercial game using OpenGL, fix the bug, then declare it finished. There may be horrific bugs in their drivers thatre both easy to come across and easy to fix but because it doesnt affect the multimillion dollar game they don't bother and focus on directx.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Buy the ATI card 4850 or 4870, if it doesn't work with spring return it, buy an 8800gt. If it does, you have just bought one of the two the best value cards there is.

Should probably mention ATI has nice drivers now, opengl for linux as well as crossfire support.

Don't listen to me though, I'm a fanboy of the company that offers the best price performance ratio.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

ATI drivers still phail, or at least did a few months ago when I decided the ultimate fix was to buy an Nvidia card. Had to install newest drivers if I wanted to play certain games, and revert back to old old drivers to run spring. :x
Tribulexrenamed

So do they fail or not?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Get a 9600GT. I can run BF2142 and COD4 on full settings plus max antialiasing with it.

512 gddr3, 650mhz core clock. They are about $170 but you can prolly get them cheaper than that on newegg. For clarification, mine is the PNY brand.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

9600GT simply isnt worth it, you can get a 4850 for $169 already, and it will outperform a 9800GTX...

AMD/ATI have done somthing right for a change ^^

Infact you can get 2 4850s, a decent mobo and a phenom for less than a 280GTX :shock:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Well, admittedly I got mine on clearance for $123
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Yeh, 4850 FTW.
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Tribulex wrote:@ cabbage: Srsly? Will spring work on it? Will it have the same shitty drivers that dont work on linux?
Well Spring runs fine even with newer drivers (recently tried the 8.6 and what didn't work were shadows (but who'd want to turn them on anyway) and a minor texture distortion when something gets in the final buildstage (although that wasn't in the other 8.er drivers so this might be fixed again)...

I don't know much about the Linux drivers though. They might get better though as AMD starts to reveal more and more of their specs. After having released lots of 2D stuff there recently was a release of the R600 Specs...

Apart from that I wouldn't pretend NVIDIA has the perfect drivers. I still know of a combo of settings that will just crash your system (I think it was setting prerender limit to 0 and turning vsync on) - it's known for quite some while but because of NVIDIA's driver policey it will take quite a while until it'll get fixed...

When looking at the new graphics card I'd also recommend one of ATIs 4000er series as they have a just great price-gain-ratio and especially if you want to play in resolution higher than 1280x1024 with some AA and AF the new series just blows NVIDIA's cards away with like a 4850 being 70% faster than a 9800 GTX...
Caydr wrote:Transparency antialiasing for instance. I don't know if ATI does this yet, I haven't checked recently.
Ehm - you mean AA on alpha textures and that stuff? I already could use that when I bought my X800 XL years ago - it officially was introduced with the X1800 series... :wink:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”