Light Side of Spring

Light Side of Spring

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Light Side of Spring

Post by KDR_11k »

After seeing Nemo's Dark Side of Spring I thought of a different implementation. Not sure it's as much fun but meh, we haven't seriously played it yet.

[img]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/LoadScreen1.jpg[/img] [img]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/LoadScreen2.jpg[/img]

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1092

EDIT: Oh, right, this is the version with mirrors that turn neutral if noone uses them. Just aim your red beam at a neutral mirror to take control over it and be able to turn it.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: Light Side of Spring

Post by Saktoth »

KDR, have my babies.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Are you for real?

Wow, this looks fantabulous. I have a board game like this...
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Holy.

Living.

Fuck.

Would you be okay if I... kinda... worshipped you.

Like, from afar?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

BTW, if anyone cares this uses Lua trickery to determine the direction a shot came from (compares the attacker's and target's positions), it might work for some other uses but probably not all.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1097

Changes:
-Laser now will take only 10% of the damage from the first shot hitting it within 8 seconds, this means you need to fork your shots and hit with multiple beams at once to damage it.
-Laser reload slowed to 8 seconds (was 5)
-Laser is now marked as com so com ends works
-Reflective pieces that were built but never aimed at turn neutral now (previously had to be aimed at at least once to start the countdown)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Would it be possible to have mirrors aiming up and down too so hills can be used? Also the aiming is inaccurate over long distances.

Splitting beams is fiddly. I think there should be a beam splitter that is like a mirror but also shoots a beam out the back.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

The mirrors reflect the red 'aiming' beam a lot more easily than they reflect the final yellow beam.

I eventually figured out you must aim for the dead centre of the mirror, but the red line is still misleading.

I agree with google, some way to go up and down, or over, hills, is needed if you want to play on most maps. Mirrors also angling up when given an align destination would probably work to this end. Height still offers an obstacle, just not an insurmountable one.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A problem I see for height is how to handle that with shots from sources the mirror was not aligned from, should it just aim all of them up?

I'll up the footprint (which the shot collides with) and add a proper splitter.
Ashnal

Post by Ashnal »

Personally I think both light side and dark side should be combined into one mod. Either by a mod option switch, or by making light and dark separate factions.

Having a faction with the firing mechanic and a faction with the constant damage mechanic fighting each other in a balanced way would be made of win.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I really doubt that would work out and I feel the Dark Side would just be plain better due to constant firing and mirrors that always forward the shot in the same direction (Light Side's mirrors work both ways and can be abused by the enemy).
Ashnal

Post by Ashnal »

I meant dark sides concept with light sides mirror mechanics. So the mirror difference wouldn't exist
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Dark Side lives and dies by the ability to construct loops and get sick amounts of firepower in the air before slinging it at the enemy. That doesn't work with Light Side's mirrors.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1110

WIP5
Now has a separate splitter unit, larger footprints on mirrors (to reduce misses on mirrors that the red beam said you'd hit) and longer delay until a piece is removed from play so the shot has 3 seconds to reach the next mirror instead of 1, enough to move the shot across Red Comet.

Up/down mirroring was not added since I'm unsure how to handle it with the reflecting mirrors.
Eisi

Post by Eisi »

I have an idea for this (awesome) mod:

a submarine like scope (this simple pic should explain it):

It should be possible to build much more complex laser networks then.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'm not sure about that idea, it'd be pretty much a way of making the beam unstoppable with anything except further scopes. It'd only be used for attacks anyway as the beams can cross freely and intersections can be done anywhere where no mirrors are placed, the only point would be going around enemy mirrors and it's hard enough to get meaningful protection anyway.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Protection is easy to get. Just spam mirrors around your laser.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

That's not easy, mirrors you're not aiming at turn neutral and when your enemy aims at them he gets to control them.
Eisi

Post by Eisi »

the normal mirrors are a bit smaller than trees, right?
You could just let the laser be stopped by trees but not by mirrors.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Well, you can't make trees to block the beam.

Return to “Game Releases”