Kernel Panic - Page 40

Kernel Panic

Moderator: Content Developer

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Kernel Panic

Post by KDR_11k »

I have no idea how the IceUI res bar works.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Thanks, but, erm, a little more originality would have been become.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'll add it to the ladder at some point, thanks.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Did someone download it? You gotta redownload it, because there was "bug", kernel panic mod commanders had that special fusion in their buildlists too :D

http://tasdownloads.com/download.php?m= ... 18_Way.sd7
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

[url]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/Kernel%20Panic%20T%20WIP1.sd7[/url]
Added a Touhou faction (Touhou is a popular series of indie bullethell shmups) for no particular reason. This will probably not be merged into the main branch of KP as the characters are copyrighted. Most likely the new faction is completely OP.
smoth

Post by smoth »

WOO HOO!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Dammit, you need to make a fork for all the one-off fun factions you've made. You know, a Kernel Panic Plus, where you can play the old Virus, the Touhou, and the Experimental.
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

Woo updates.

*Had it played against me today* Insane, completely insane... my bytes, my bits,my pointers! Nooooo! The fairies are coming!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

[url]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/Kernel%20Panic%20T%20WIP2.sd7[/url]

Forgot to post it.
KP T WIP2
-Increased Reimu build time (960 -> 1500)
-Increased Marisa build time (960 -> 1600), damage per shot (2500 -> 4500), decreased HP (3000 -> 1800), AOE (48 -> 16) and rate of fire (1/3 -> 1/6)
-Increased Fairy damage per shot (30 -> 40)
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

Wild fanciful and insane suggestion. Prob because I played too many hours (mindless bot bashing mind you, but its quick, can be used to fill up short bursts of idle time, unlike doing the same with *A and it's fun!) and am just delusional

A new faction called the "User", which would be FPS based. Since there's only one of "you". Fighting directly against RTS style play. It'll offer a radically different type of play in KP...

It would also fit thematically; we currently have the 3 computer elements battling each other in cyberspace, or as I like to imagine it, inside the User's computer. Now its time for the User, himself, to transport into this world and sort the mess out. :D

It'll be complete craziness to balance though, let alone implementation.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

User would need a light bike. 'Nuff said.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Horrible idea. RTS factions grow in power as the game progresses, a single player would not.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Upgrades from kills?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I have something similar scribbled down in my notes for the 5-ish factions I've dreamed up that I will never, ever get around to implementing:

The Macrokernel
Command Factory: Bootstrap - can build Hybrid Kernels, Macrokernels, and Modules
Swarm Factory: Allocator. Builds modules. If it has an associated kernel that it is guarding, then the modules will go to that kernel. Otherwise, it will give them to the next kernel in a looping list of all kernels.
Swarmer: Modules. They vanish the moment they're created, and jump into whatever MacroKernel they've been assigned to guard (otherwise, next kernel). Represented as health of the macrokernel - as the macrokernel gains modules, it gains health/max-health. As it loses health, it loses modules (and max-health).
Unit 1: The Macrokernel. Costs as much as 2 bits. Can morph into multiple forms. The strength of the form is proportional to the number of modules.
Unit 2: The Hybrid. Costs 2 bits + Macrokernel with added cloak-detection and construction nanolathe to build mines, debugs, and allocators.
Forms:
- Recompile into Alpha - effectively a Byte. More modules = more blast radius and ROF. Turn on to "overclock", which burns modules to make it faster and stronger. Can only overclock if it has a lot of modules.
- Recompile into Virtual Memory - works like long-ranged StarCraft Carrier - sends out "Page Faults" - effectively flying bits. If told to attack point, Pages are on Fight. If told to attack target, Pages have attack order for target. Each Page Fault is a Module, so if it dies, you lose a module, and they're not nigh-invulnerable vs. bits like StarCraft.
- Recompile into Driver - Artillery unit. More modules means more rate-of-fire. Has a d-gun nuke weapon that consumes a pile of modules to use.

So, now the high-level overview: the only mobile units are built by the main factory, but the individual geovent factories are constantly raising the power of those mobile units - their power linearly climbs with the number of modules they have, up to an undefined maximum (say 16 for hybrids, 32 for macros). As those mobile units take damage, they lose upgrades - so effectively they each behave like a squad of regular units. If it's a "hybrid", then that "squad" includes an assembler.

To get the versatility, the mobiles can morph. Their forms handle the different needs of the game - the Alpha functions as a general anti-swarm combat unit like the byte, suitable for fighting bits. The Driver is an instigator - it has long-ranged artillery, and provides the "nuke" capacity for this faction through its d-gun behaviour. However, the Driver is even less suited for anti-bit-support than the Pointer is, because as its power goes up it becomes more of an overkill unit against bits... but it becomes much more devastating for anti-armor and instigation/demolition attacks. The Virtual Memory recompile handles combat against artillery - pages can fly further than any artillery unit can shoot, so the normal weakness of large, slow targets vs. artillery can be avoided by standing outside of arty range and sending in pages to fly over and attack (and hope the pages don't get shredded by Bytes and Bits).

So you get a faction that behaves like a weird mix of the Net and the System, but with only a handful of actually command-able "units", that are really aggregations of bits.

(yeah, I promised I wouldn't bring up my never-gonna-happen plans, but people started talking about a Big Unit Faction so I had to bring it up).
exdeath

Post by exdeath »

This mod is very fun to play. But i think that if this mod had a more realistics analogies the game would be better.

Some ideas.

The map of the game would be the HD.

There is still no resources but there is a new thing called RAM. Each team would have some amount of RAM Points. The ram is needed to make actions. Some actions are walk, aim, fire, turn, units building things, bases builidng things.
If the player has 400 Max RAM points, and he has 2 units thats are walking, the amount of ram points that the player would have is 398. If he has 400 units firing and want to move another unit to get closer to those units he would need to choose one of those units and make the unit stop to get the RAM points to make the unit walk. Multiple actions use multiple ram points, so a unit that is walking and firing will spend 2 points, a base that is cloaked and building units will spend 2 points. You dont need to wait to recover RAM points, when someone stop from doing some action, you get at the same time the RAM points that the guy was using.
PS: I dont know if this ram idea is possible to do on spring engine.

FACTIONS:

1- System administrator(on PC): The guys that is using the hacked PC to fix.
Only 1 player can use this faction (dont know if this is posible on spring engine).

Some units:

Undeletion Program: Now in the mod when some file is killed (deleted), the carcass of the unit stays on the ground (like in TA). The undeletion program can ressurect the unit. Units can pass through carcass but while doing this they will be slowed and when units stays inside some carcass this carcass will start to lose hitpoints, when some unit is ressurected will have the same amount of hitpoints that the unit had when created, unless units had reduce the carcass (now a unit) hitpoint by passing through the carcass or shooting there reducing a carcass hitpoint is permanent and when ressurected the max amount of hitpoints that the unit has is the amount of hitpoint that the unit had when ressurected.

Scandisk: With this unit you can use scan to see the nearby enemy units hitpoints and can heal friendly units (or enemy units if you find a good reason to do that). With this unit you can also change bad blocks color to a transparent after this units would be able to pass through them (but not reduce their hitpoints like doing with unit carcass). The enemy unit that made the badblocks would be able to reactivate the badblock making them block units again (this would be faster than create new bad blocks).

Later i think about more new System administrator(on PC): units.

2- System administrator(on Network): You can have more than 1 player using this unit and they are friendly of System administrator(on PC).
Its almost the same thing that the System administrator(on PC) with some few changes.

3- Hacker: Is the enemy of System administrator(on PC) System and administrator(on Network). At least 1 hacker and System administrator(on Network) or (on PC) is needed to run the battle.

Unlike the Kernel Panic, the mod would not have only one type of virus or worm, there would be different types worm units, virus units.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think radical changes would fit better into a separate mod, KP is KP and KP is designed for simplicity.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

I cowardly suggest releasing a stable version due to lack of RC complaints.
exdeath

Post by exdeath »

KDR_11k wrote:I think radical changes would fit better into a separate mod, KP is KP and KP is designed for simplicity.

I was going to say that..
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Kernel Panic is more about spamfest and macro than turn based tactics. It's about producing dozen of bits per second and attempting to guide their flow, not about carefully pondering what the action of your man left forefinger should be.

But then Kernel Panic is public domain (beside a few lua), so you are allowed to take KP units and turn them upside down into your own action-point-based mod.

Return to “Kernel Panic”