Looking for older version of Spring, circa 0.73

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Premier

Post by Premier »

Hello, everyone.

As the title implies, I'm looking for some kind of online repository from where older versions of the program can still be downloaded. The reason I'm looking for this is because I've just uninstalled my old copy and installed the newest version, only to find that this one no longer works on Win98.

Now, I've done the homework, used the search option, and therefore I fully realise that only idiots use Win98 still and that I should just upgrade my OS and that Spring doesn't support it etc. etc.. :)

However, please indulge me and accept that - just for the purposes of this particular thread - upgrading my OS is not an option in the near future; and therefore my only possible recourse is to try to find and download the version I used to have on my hard drive. As stated in the title, it was 0.73something.

I'm sure there MUST be some place where older versions are up, but this site offers only the latest version and some very early "not-yet-Spring" ones.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Re: Looking for older version of Spring, circa 0.73

Post by Tobi »

http://spring.clan-sy.com/dl/

Everything's on there.. from 0.10pre1 to 0.76b2
Premier

Post by Premier »

Thanks, man! You're a life saver.

Well, metaphorically.
Relative

Post by Relative »

You could just dual boot with linux if you want to play a more recent version without touching your windows 98 (why the hell are you using 98?).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

because he likes virii and buggy, crashy, operating systems :-)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Seems to me spring works fine in 98 if you use an older version of SDL?
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Peet wrote:Seems to me spring works fine in 98 if you use an older version of SDL?
I just looked over at SDL and the 1.2.13 Release Notes list a fix for 95/98/ME so I'm going to go ahead and assume its still supported, but maybe we ship a Unicode only version or something. Are you sure it isn't some other library we depend on? Anyway, running a 10 year old OS is a spectacularly bad idea no matter what reason you have considering any of the "free" OS is going to be better at it at this point, especially considering MS no longer issues security or other patches for 95/98/ME.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

98 was the worst windows ever

and thats saying something
Erom

Post by Erom »

Perhaps he's dropping it on a work machine where he can't change the OS? That to me would raise as many questions as it answers/ seems just as dumb, but it would explain the W98 thing.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

You can't play online with an old version.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

hunterw wrote:98 was the worst windows ever

and thats saying something
ME shares that title with Vista actually.
98SE was the best of the 9x kernal series.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Erom wrote:Perhaps he's dropping it on a work machine where he can't change the OS? That to me would raise as many questions as it answers/ seems just as dumb, but it would explain the W98 thing.
No company in their right mind would still be running Win98 unless its in a VM for an application that doesn't work on anything newer.
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

el_matarife wrote:
Erom wrote:Perhaps he's dropping it on a work machine where he can't change the OS? That to me would raise as many questions as it answers/ seems just as dumb, but it would explain the W98 thing.
No company in their right mind would still be running Win98 unless its in a VM for an application that doesn't work on anything newer.

Then he should get a new job cause if the company cannot afford to improve their equipment, then the wages must be horrible or the business is not making profit.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You underestimate the amount of mission critical, unreplaceable software that only works on ancient OSes.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

KDR_11k wrote:You underestimate the amount of mission critical, unreplaceable software that only works on ancient OSes.
I still have a 4-port gamepad set for my PC that I'd meticulously collected fun hotseat games to play with, and that gamepad set only works with 9X. I still have a 98SE partition for it. Good for Tank Squared (my own deathmatch Combat clone from highschool), Blaster Disaster, and Atomic Bomberman. Never found a good hotseat dungeon-crawl or space war game though, which I was always looking for.

Still, I probably should just replace the suckers with a set of USB pads. Don't use it much anymore anyways.
Erom

Post by Erom »

KDR_11k wrote:You underestimate the amount of mission critical, unreplaceable software that only works on ancient OSes.
This.

Blame the government. I don't know anyone stuck with win98, but I do have a friend who has to have windows NT installed on his laptop by regulation, because nothing newer has been certified with the systems he works with yet.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No machine with a pre2000 OS should be connected to the internet.

No amount of anti spy ware, firewalls, or anti virus will protect you and your machine will be infected with malware just by being connected to the internet. You don't even have to do anything you just turn it on, connect it up and wait and it will eventually be found by malware doing random IP range checks.

nm that when a program crashes the whole OS crashes.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Umm, AF, how does that happen if your router has no open ports leading to the machine? 98 doesn't run a lot of internet-enabled services, so I doubt an idle machine is sending out a lot of requests to random neighbors that could result in a malicious reply, and if your router is blocking all incoming requests to the machine simply because it has no public IP address, then how could the box get hacked?

Obviously, once you launch the crusty old version of IE sitting on it or start opening ports, all bets are off.... but I can't figure out the basic case.

Not saying it couldn't happen, I just have no idea how such an attack could work.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

pxtl: lots of such things were made in the past, most have probably been fixed. google e.g. winnuke, teardrop.
Premier

Post by Premier »

Never thought I'll create this much splash...

But to answer the speculation: nothing so dramatic as work-related constraints. It's just that my hardware is a bit aged on all fronts (CPU, RAM, Video Card, Motherboard, etc.), and I'm going to need a serious overhaul at some point, starting with a larger HD. Now, that HD will need to be dual-boot, as I'll still want to play various old games that XP can't emulate properly. However, there's not much point of fiddling around with the dual boot setup if I'm going either replace the HD or add an additional one within (hopefully) a couple of months, anyway - especially since XP would likely be rather sluggish on the current setup.

So it's really just a question of waiting for the money with which to buy all that new hardware, and THEN upgrade the OS. Only the money's taking its sweet time.

Return to “General Discussion”