DWARF FORTRESS - Page 31

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Erom

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Erom »

I like the fact that flying units won't attack something if they can't find a walking path to it.
manored

Post by manored »

Hum... you mean, like, a bat wont attack a dwarf across a chasm? :) that would explain why the bats that flied above the chasm in my last fortress never seemed to move...

I won in the lottery! there is a HUGE lake of magma in my new fortress area, like, it occups the area of around one screen, but goes all the way from the deepest tile to the surface :) Only bad thing is that it is under the heigth my fortress entrance is, so I wont be able to have a defensive magma-river, only a huge pit with lava in the bottom :) So, any tips in what to do with magma and how to safely channel some to under my fortress so I can use it for magma furnaces and garbage-dumbing with more ease?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Fire_man might be a good idea to follow these instructions... you can actually pump lava if you have the necessary materials.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

1. Dig out your network of lava tunnels (tunnel will do mostly, only put channels where you need them) first.
2. Lava does not flow upwards as it has no pressure (water has pressure and will flow 'up' a U bend), so keep in mind that if you drop the z level of your tunnel the lava wont go back up again.
3. Tunnel an access passage above the point to where the lava tunnels are to connect to the magma tube, then channel out the last tile. Your dwarf is perfectly safe doing this, and wont have to run like hell from the approaching lava.
4. Remember lava flows on the diagonal.

To pump magma, i believe you just need iron pipe section/screw to make a screw pump. Do you need bauxite for the block? Not sure on this one, but an Iron or better block should do. Just ensure that you are pumping into a closed passageway (again, watch the diagonals). Try practising on pumping some water first if you havent done that.
manored

Post by manored »

Saktoth wrote: 2. Lava does not flow upwards as it has no pressure (water has pressure and will flow 'up' a U bend), so keep in mind that if you drop the z level of your tunnel the lava wont go back up again.
This is actually helpfull for me... I was afraid that if I just made a tunnel to a chamber under my fortress, the pressure of the lava above could push the lava up beyond the point I wanted it to go and flow up the acess tunnel and burn my fortress... now my life is a lot easier :)

Do fireman show up in the creatures window if they are under the lava? It seens that there are only fireimps in the deepest point of lava, but I wanna be sure before putting a grate in my lava river to keep the imps from coming, as the wike says that fireman can get past then...

Also, I found a king of stone called realgar, and dwarf fortress wiki tells nothing about this stone. I suppose it must be a insignificant stone, but just wanna be sure... :)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

3PanelSoul has another DF comic up:

manored

Post by manored »

Hum... that one wasnt very fun... beside a colossus cage is only a colossus cage as long as there is a colossus inside it, else its just "cage", so the dwarf couldnt have missed that one :)
hilal

Post by hilal »

manored wrote:
Also, I found a king of stone called realgar, and dwarf fortress wiki tells nothing about this stone. I suppose it must be a insignificant stone, but just wanna be sure... :)
Hidden fun stuff?
Erom

Post by Erom »

Nope, just boring old Arsenic Sulfide. When in doubt google for the real rock- the DF strata is based largely on real life.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

except adamatium... which is based on Marvel...
manored

Post by manored »

Most likely Lord of the rings, considering the similarity between the 2 worlds :) In Lord of the rings Adamantium was like the ultimate metal (strong like hell and beautifull), but extremelly rare.
Aun

Post by Aun »

manored wrote:Most likely Lord of the rings, considering the similarity between the 2 worlds :) In Lord of the rings Adamantium was like the ultimate metal (strong like hell and beautifull), but extremelly rare.
Erm, wasn't that mithril?
manored

Post by manored »

Aun wrote:
manored wrote:Most likely Lord of the rings, considering the similarity between the 2 worlds :) In Lord of the rings Adamantium was like the ultimate metal (strong like hell and beautifull), but extremelly rare.
Hum, dont remember now... maybe both are in it :) I might be wrong and it might be indeed mithril in Lord of the rings, but adamantium is in Runescape too so I believe it is the invention of some medieval style story rather than from X-men :)
Aun

Post by Aun »

manored wrote:
Aun wrote:
Hum, dont remember now... maybe both are in it :) I might be wrong and it might be indeed mithril in Lord of the rings, but adamantium is in Runescape too so I believe it is the invention of some medieval style story rather than from X-men :)
I believe it has something to do with "adamant" meaning unbreakable, or something along those lines.
manored

Post by manored »

On what language? I think that one of the most amazing things about Lord of the rings and Dwarf fortress (and others that I dont know) is that the guys made a story of such deep that they CREATED LANGUAGES for the diferent people of the stories... :)

There has been an accident involving a kobold thief and an axe. Is there anything useful I can do with his remains? Will a long tunnel and double wooden doors keep the miasma from escaping the refuse room and anyoing my dwarves?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

manored wrote:On what language? I think that one of the most amazing things about Lord of the rings and Dwarf fortress (and others that I dont know) is that the guys made a story of such deep that they CREATED LANGUAGES for the diferent people of the stories... :)

There has been an accident involving a kobold thief and an axe. Is there anything useful I can do with his remains? Will a long tunnel and double wooden doors keep the miasma from escaping the refuse room and anyoing my dwarves?
Doors will block miasma if a dwarf doesn't open them. The best way is to have a refuse pile you use for keeping bodyparts somewhere outdoors. Miasma doesn't do much harm outdoors.
manored

Post by manored »

I know I should have it outdoors, but I wanna my dwarves to need to go outdoors as little as possible :) I think that a long tunnel with a door on each end should do the trick.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

A door can block miasma.

a single door is enough for light/medium dwarven traffic, 2 doors will block heavy traffic from spreading miasma

Also set the door in such way that pets cannot open it so you wont have cats and cows opening the doors and spreading miasma to your halls
Doors will block miasma if a dwarf doesn't open them. The best way is to have a refuse pile you use for keeping bodyparts somewhere outdoors. Miasma doesn't do much harm outdoors.
Incorrect.

You will want to have your refuse pile near your butchery and craft shops ( to quickly dispense parts of animals into it and not making all your butchers sick to death, making them even more depressed) and to quickly use up all the bones and hides as raw materials (arrows, crafts, clothing, armor)

Also the refuse will disappear outside after a set perioid of time, fading all those precious bones you could use to make arrows and hides for armor/clothes.

A fortress that lacks efficiency and throws away resources is not a proper fortress!
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

I've just made an unbelievable discovery: d-f.
The single most fantastic key combo in existance.

I used to forbid every item seperately.
This is going to save lives.
manored

Post by manored »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:I've just made an unbelievable discovery: d-f.
The single most fantastic key combo in existance.

I used to forbid every item seperately.
This is going to save lives.
You have just been promoted to the rank: hero :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”