P.U.R.E. 0.55 - Page 36

P.U.R.E. 0.55

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: P.U.R.E. 0.55

Post by KDR_11k »

So it's just a grid pattern with offsets?
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Man kaik doesn't take prisoners, just got my ass handed to me again haha, any chance of a new release soon argh, i wanna play with more units :D
Argh

Post by Argh »

So it's just a grid pattern with offsets?
Right now, I have it doing offset diagonals, but I could easily do herringbones, triangles or octagons. Doing the pattern of the grid's the easy part.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I finally got around to rescaling the buildings and stuff. I looked at shots of cities online, and wasn't happy with the way that the city looks, on the World Builder demo map. Here are the results- it looks a lot more like a real city, imo.

manored

Post by manored »

Just paint everthing gray and make the windows shine that it will look futuristic :)

This is probally a pointless suggestion that you already tough on, but I think you will need to have the income and maybe hp of those strategic spots vary according to the map's metal richness.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I wouldn't, seeing as the location of the artifacts and the metal map are not related to one another in any way
Argh

Post by Argh »

Actually, he's got a point there... on SpeedMetal, the Overmind would get a huge advantage, and on a few maps, where the mappers got creative and made metal spacing really huge, they'd have a lot more trouble.

TBH, most maps that are things people actually play on a regular basis have metal spaced so that it's probably not a giant problem, but meh, it's a valid issue.

I could write a metal-analysis algorithm that gets the average metal within a couple of percentage points, though, and adjust the number of resource points accordingly... with some sort of ceiling to prevent it going berserk on all-metal maps. I'll think about it.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Just make it crash on speedmetal. :P
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Those new cities look really good, keep up the amazing work argh!
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Needs baseplate texture.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The cities look nice but it'll be hard to select and command units moving through them.
Argh

Post by Argh »

GUI beta 0.5 is now feature-complete, if a little plain. I haven't shown off any unit menu buttons here, because they're subject to change still. Now that I have the layout complete and the OpenGL stuff's all working properly, I'm probably going to do a fancier version that looks a little cooler.
The cities look nice but it'll be hard to select and command units moving through them.
I haven't found that too big of a deal, although it'd be nice to have Dawn of War's masked-drawing method to show stuff that's hidden behind an object. I have no idea how that's done, though.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Argh wrote:I haven't found that too big of a deal, although it'd be nice to have Dawn of War's masked-drawing method to show stuff that's hidden behind an object. I have no idea how that's done, though.
A guess would be

gl.Color(tcr,tcg,tcb,.3)
gl.DepthTest(GL.GREATER)
gl.Unit(u)

probably with an offset so the unit wouldn't show the shadow for parts behind itself.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Unit Occlusion is term they use in the DoW settings
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

That looks pretty nice, good work i like the look of the GUI :D
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Yeah, really nice Argh, PURE is really one of the more beautiful mods coming along.

My only gripe with the city is that it looks a bit artificial (yeah, I know that's an oxymoron). By that I mean, urban centers like that should be surrounded by sprawling suburbs and one, two and three story buildings that stretch for.. well, miles; especially a downtown "core" like that. Just having skyscrapers suddenly rise out of the ground like that is a bit odd.

Another way it could make sense is if it is an urban center on some hostile planet, and has containment walls of some sort, making it very difficult to expand the city outwards; so a small settlement turns into a little pocket of office buildings or something. I don't know. You be the judge.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Yeah, really nice Argh, PURE is really one of the more beautiful mods coming along.

My only gripe with the city is that it looks a bit artificial (yeah, I know that's an oxymoron). By that I mean, urban centers like that should be surrounded by sprawling suburbs and one, two and three story buildings that stretch for.. well, miles; especially a downtown "core" like that. Just having skyscrapers suddenly rise out of the ground like that is a bit odd.

Another way it could make sense is if it is an urban center on some hostile planet, and has containment walls of some sort, making it very difficult to expand the city outwards; so a small settlement turns into a little pocket of office buildings or something. I don't know. You be the judge.
Well, also there are apparently no roads in his city either. I'm betting that he's got more stuff in mind.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Indeed, I think for that map, with the relatively small pockets of urban, you probably want to go with less "city center" and more "medium sized town", which probably just means someone needs to make Argh some more medium sized building content for world builder.
manored

Post by manored »

Also, I think the buildings are too similar to ours. If we are talking about an ancient and extremelly advanced civilization that left eons ago, their buildings should be unlike anything you have ever seen :)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

No no, I think the cities are human cities. Only the artifacts aren't

Return to “Argh's Projects”