A Gaming Site incl Spring Support [Coders/Gfx wanted]

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

Hey everyone,

There are a lot of guys on here that aren't happy with the sort of publicity that Spring get's and to be honest.. there's a lot of talk but not much action.

So I put this proposition to you. I've begun working on a site at http://www.portal-gaming.com that's going to be based on the Nuke-Evolution Content Management System as a starting point (which is a variation of PHP-Nuke if you've heard of it?!). Anyway, my idea is to create a site that brings together the following.
  • Multiple games - beginning with Spring/SupCom:Forged Alliance and following on with Starcraft II/Dawn of War II/Warhammer Online and many many more.
  • Support including the following maps, mods, replays
  • Clan/Player ranking systems
  • Tournaments/Seasons
  • Forums/News and the standard stuff
So what's new you're asking?
Basically there aren't any of these portal type sites out there to support Spring neither are they there to support the modding community as well. If you want to make Spring more popular then you need to get out and do it for yourself - the community needs to make it popular by bringing in people from other gaming communities, and that's what I'm intending to do with this.

I have a domain registered at http://www.portal-gaming.com
to show you what we have to start with.

I've already made a start of it. Check out a mock logo I made:-

I've also designed a mock database that needs to be amended to plug into the existing CMS. Gives you an idea of the scale I'm talking about and the plans I have to expand it.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/j ... o_db-1.png
(took the image out as it was messing up the page but feel free to follow the link - it's safe :-))

This project is going to be by no means easy at all. It's going to be a slog. But once it's up and running it'll be fantastic and will generate a lot of interest. My plan is to keep it simple but full of useful features. I want to make it easy to navigate and use as well as maintaining the user experience of the site.

At present I'm interested in getting together a good bunch of talented guys (unpaid unfortunately :( ) who can really get stuck into this site.

The following roles can be applied for:-
  • PHP Developers - Write and maintain the site's content management system. Need to liaise with front-end designers
  • Graphical Designers - Design various banners, images and promotional content for the site.
  • Database Manager - Design the underlying database and maintain it. Provide ongoing support for the site.
  • HTML/CSS Designers - Write and accessible and easy to navigate interface for the user. Combining with back-end PHP Developers to produce the dynamic content
It is essential to have at least one of these skills:-
  • PHP
  • MySQL, SQL Query language
  • Understanding of Databases
  • HTML/CSS
  • An eye for graphical design and creativity
Please also fill in the following if you're interested:-
  • The alias you typically use
  • A little bit about yourself
  • Where you're located
  • Why you're interesting in becoming a part of the project
  • What you think you can bring to the project
  • What previous experience you have with web design
I think it's important to have a good mix of people so the more of you guys that apply the better. Plus there will be many positions for administration / support / staff roles further down the line when this project really kicks off.

If you're interested more about the site please feel free to leave questions here as well :-)

Look forward to hearing from you guys!
Last edited by NKrypt on 04 Apr 2008, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Vadi

Re: A Gaming Site incl Spring Support [Coders/Gfx wanted]

Post by Vadi »

:?

The websites that I've seen so far designed with PHP Nuke CMS system tend to be compilicated... small fonts, lots of info. The initial design seems to be just that :o .

I hope that's temporary though.

As for the website, please reconsider if starting a whole separate project is worth it, and will it take off, or is it just better to start working on the existing and popular infrastructure.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

So basically you're making a large scale RTS league... It looks pretty damn cool... but the major problems will be selling it to RTS players already in league communities, and then getting springers to play enough to actually populate a league.

In terms of actual file storage and transfer, you have alot of competition even within the spring community already. After Unknown-Files died, half a dozen spring portal sites popped up. But competition only means you have to be the best right? :lol:

I can't really help you cause I have no skills, but I support your project, best of luck :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I would like to have some observer status here. I have a lot of fingers in a lot of places, and Id like to see what your doing and keep everyone as productive as possible, and perhaps lend a hand myself where appropriate.

Regarding skills Id say I have all of those requested. I would prefer any further dialogue with me occurred in private.
DemO

Post by DemO »

gl hope it works for you
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

Vadi:

I sort of agree with you there!

The initial design is actually just the basic design that comes with it. Nuke-Evolution is the mod version of PHP-Nuke, hence why it has the logo at the top.

Sure... it doesn't have to be a complicated layout. I'm actually going to sign up and help with one of the Nuke-Evo layout sites to help with learning about it.

I've had a look at the infrastructure behind Nuke-Evolution (which is free to download and install from http://www.nuke-evolution.com) and it's designed in modules so is pretty well structured. As far as simplifying the layout. I'm sure it's possible. One of the great things about Nuke-Evolution is the ability to mod the front end so the user can choose how it looks to them in their profile 8)

Understand what you are saying. Unfortunately, it's going to be pretty difficult to convince someone with an already thriving site to give their time to developing stuff for Spring, but feel free to have a go if you can!

SwiftSpear:That's pretty much the idea making an RTS League/Resource Site, it will be tricky to sell it to RTS players already in communities. The only way to pry them will probably be by word of mouth once it gets up and running. But if it's good enough it'll get interest :-)

AF: Feel free to pm me or add my msn contact if you want to discuss anything with me or are interested in taking. I'll maintain anonymity if that's what you'd prefer.
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

This site could be used to connect all of the other spring portal sites. I'd also suggest that each of the other spring portal sites link to each other if they don't already so we have a strong web ring of content providers supporting each other.

We should never be reliant on a single site again.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Maybe you can run a server for AF's Super Client?
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

SinbadEV wrote:Maybe you can run a server for AF's Super Client?
Think you'll have to elaborate on that one :wink:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

NKrypt wrote:
Well, AF has created a client (you can check http://www.darkstars.co.uk/ ) that can act as a matching service for Spring and Glest, he was discussing adding plugin support which would allow downloading of new maps and games and mods and such... it would be pretty cool if you could go to that there portal site your making and download a client that would connect you with other users.
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

That sounds quite similar in method to the map and mod downloader used for Complete Annihilation.
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

SinbadEV wrote:
NKrypt wrote:
Well, AF has created a client (you can check http://www.darkstars.co.uk/ ) that can act as a matching service for Spring and Glest, he was discussing adding plugin support which would allow downloading of new maps and games and mods and such... it would be pretty cool if you could go to that there portal site your making and download a client that would connect you with other users.
Interesting.... this certainly could turn out to be a venture. I'll have a word with AF and see if we can come up with something :-)

Bear in mind though that using Nuke-Evolution is only an option. I've just been discussing options with a few other guys and they've recommended Nuke may be a little restrictive for what we need.

Have begun considering using this instead....

http://drupal.org/

Written in PHP and supports the following:-
  • Apache 2.2 HTTP Server
  • MySQL 5.0 Database
  • PHP 5.2 and Perl 5.8 Scripting Languages
  • GUI WAMP-stack Controller
  • Dynamic DNS Client
  • Tomcat Servlet/JSP Container
  • mod_aspdotnet ASP.NET Host Interface
  • OpenSSL Cryptography Toolkit
  • mod_security Web Application Firewall
  • phpMyAdmin MySQL Administration
  • Joomla
  • Drupal
  • WordPress
  • MediaWiki
  • phpBB
Already the options are looking fantastic!
Last edited by NKrypt on 03 Apr 2008, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

I can code HTML/CSS and javascript and I know my way around Adobe PS; you can PM some examples of what you might need and I can try to help out.
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

Okay, so after consulting a couple of friends and trawling through a few different Content Management Systems out there I've finally decided to go with Drupal to power the site. It looks very nice, simple and extensible with a number of very neat features.

You can check out the sort of sites that were designed using it to get some sort of idea as to what we can aim for producing.

http://drupal.org/node/89809

There's no reason why gaming sites have to be so complicated even if they have a lot of content!
aegis

Post by aegis »

Hey, I have designed a few Drupal sites. I am comfortable and familiar with it if you have any questions or need help.
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

Just an update on progress....

I've setup a Drupal basic configuration on http://www.portal-gaming.com.

Check it out. I'm still looking for developers to fill some of the prospective positions advertised, so if you're interested let me know!
FuzionMonkey

Post by FuzionMonkey »

Get a new logo immediately. The current one looks like someone made it after playing around in GIMP and recompressed it as a jpg 5 times then to a gif.

A few suggestions:

-The current ninja-star type thing will probably work, but the gradient used is awful. The joystick image is a little complicated and I couldn't figure out what it was until i looked at the larger version of the image. Something simpler would be more suitable for a logo, which is often shrunk down.

-When it comes to shadows subtlety is nearly always bettter. Get rid of the huge, distant shadows.

-The current "techy" fonts look pretty cheap, I'd go with a more professional one. Theres nothing wrong with a tech style, but pick something more readable and less silly looking.

Lol, a lot of critique for something as trivial as a logo (one that is probably temporary), but its important you have your site theme and logo all figured out.

P.S. Good move staying away from PHPnuke. Its terrible bloated software and makes your site look really amatuer.

Once you've got your site theme worked out, I might be able to make a logo or whatever for you in photoshop; I did a few random graphics for Unknown-Files.
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

Appreciate your input Fuzion. Yes, you're right about the logo... I made it myself but I'm not a graphical designer by trade, I stick to coding which is what I'm much better at.

But like with most logo's it will evolve, I just had to be careful with the spiral logo because the idea was already used for Portal the game by Valve (no I didn't copy it I actually thought of exactly the same thing!).

Simple logo's are more memorable but unfortunately I'm not creative enough myself to come up with anything better at present. I'm more than willing to take on board any ideas or designs you have yourself. I'm really just hoping more people will get on board as the project progresses and gather's momentum. Again, I take the criticism on the chin in an effort to improve (that's what criticism's for right?!).

I'm going to have a go at theming the site maybe after that I might have to call on you.

p.s. is there something wrong with the unknown-files website? I tried to access it but it appears to be down :(
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

NKrypt wrote: p.s. is there something wrong with the unknown-files website? I tried to access it but it appears to be down :(
Ya, unfortunately it died mysteriously a while back. We haven't been able to contact the owner... which is a little disconcerting, but not much can be done :/
NKrypt

Post by NKrypt »

SwiftSpear wrote:
NKrypt wrote: p.s. is there something wrong with the unknown-files website? I tried to access it but it appears to be down :(
Ya, unfortunately it died mysteriously a while back. We haven't been able to contact the owner... which is a little disconcerting, but not much can be done :/
sounds like something "bad" may have happened to the owner then :( I guess the sites lost if that's the case.

After much deliberation, I've made a decision to use Joomla! rather than Drupal (I know chopping and changing!). But it just seems that it may be slightly easier to work with and may be a better one to go with in the long run due to it's popularity (various extensions etc...)

Return to “General Discussion”