Halp. (Video Editing / Format pick)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

Right, so I got 15 minutes of raw footage for a school project and I need to convert that into a manageable size of under 225 MB, The Raw Footage is 5 Gigs aproximately, taken from cam-to-comp using Sony Vegas 7 but liek, I needs to convert it into a format where it's not hueg liek PS3.

Halp plx?

Suggest format and how-to-zomg plx. (Also, needs to be easily editable, as I'm giving this to someone else who'll edit it ~~).
Peet
Malcontent

Re: Halp. (Video Editing / Format pick)

Post by Peet »

Virtualdub; xvid or divx codec. Edit it uncompressed, it'll turn out much better that way.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

Thing is, I'm not the guy who's going to edit the footage - I was merely the cameraman.

And getting the footage to him uncompressed (5 GIGS HOLY SHIT) is quite difficult (even moar so considering that I don't have a DVD-RW - Actually, scratch that. I don't have a single form of removeable storage aside from Flash Drives :P).
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

so whose idea was it to put the only copy on a pc with no way to move it uncompressed?
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.
lurker

Post by lurker »

What size flash drives? The way you're talking I guess small ones?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Peet wrote:Virtualdub; xvid or divx codec. Edit it uncompressed, it'll turn out much better that way.
Pretty much ^, also ffdshow for the codecs.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

h.264 beats everything, and use aac audio. Xvid and Divx are known to the online tv show sharing community as "fail".

Well it's not really as dramatic as that, but long story short, h.264 is the best codec for high quality low filesize, although encoding takes longer than a comparable lesser-quality codec like xvid/divx... they're for noobs imo tbh rly.

Furthermore, everything ever can read x.264 (this is a lie), while many people may need to download a codec or codec pack (which can be doom if it's not cccp) to play divx/xvid (this is somewhat more honest).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Windows movie maker will do it nicely. At 640x480 you're prolly looking at around 150 megs-ish.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Given that you're doing a handoff to somebody for editing, meh... I'd say it's time to 7Zip the raw footage in a chunked archive, or use RAR (same diff) then move it one piece at a time.

Do not compress it prior to handoff, that's fail. You'll lose so much compressing, decompressing, recompressing for the final version, it'll be bad...
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Yup - as Argh said. If you see no other possibilities then pack the files into numerous chunks and handle them over even if it means you'll have to do that many times. Other possibilities would be someone with an external HDD or a DVD-Burner who could lend you his hardware for this purpose...

The final solution would be to remove your hard drive and carry it to the editor...
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

You could make a triumphant entry into this millenium and buy a DVD burner
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

Doesn't matter any moar, problemo r fixx0red.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”