ventrilo :) [teamspeak, free and really cool]

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

safi

Post by safi »

Hey,

I have set up a Ventrilo server for all of us who play TA-Springs if anyone is intrested in joining just go to ventrilo.com and d\l the free program.

Host name is safi.homeip.net
Port 3784

Ventrilo is a voice over IP program, this should make setting up and starting games a "JOY"

Also during 2v2 games you can talk to your partner instead of typing ensuring your way to victory.

Hell you can come and talk sh*t to that one kid who is always rushing you lol.

We have 6 TA members who have already joined up, hope to see more in the future.

If you have any problems setting up your ventrilo just send us a PM and we will try or best to get you up and running.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Yeah... I'll have to try that out... when I get a headset...
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Ditto
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

It's kind of funny using public vent servers because you always get lamers coming in and joining your channel when your trying to play the game. Ventrillo is the coolest thing I have ever seen when it comes to clan play however.
safi

yup

Post by safi »

it's amazin... talk while u play :) worx like a charm...

while this is a small community, you're all welcome to come and use the server i set up...

try and install ventrilo, even if u don't have a mic yet... just to see how it worx.. :)

I setup a couple of TA Spring rooms already... so... come and have a look see!

http://www.ventrilo.com -> download the client software and use safi.homeip.net as your server
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Cool idea :)
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well i have it, have used it and its cool. Now just need to get myself a mike so i can actually talk BACK to the people :P .

How much does your basic headset cost?
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Well, I have two mics, I ALWAYS use headphones, Alas that I do not have DSL... :(
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

But if some one hears my voice then they could guess at my secret identity. Also I don├óÔé¼Ôäót have head phones.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Sorry, ignore this post!
safi

headset with mic

Post by safi »

i bought one for ├óÔÇÜ┬¼ 5,-
sylvinus

Post by sylvinus »

what are the advantages of ventrilo compared to skype ?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

sylvinus wrote:what are the advantages of ventrilo compared to skype ?
I'm not really familiar with skype, but from the skype website it looks like the two applications are used for largely different things. Ventrillo is like Voice IRC, skype is like voice MSN. With ventrillo you log onto a server, choose the room you want to talk in, and start open conversation with all people there. Ventrillo is extreamly adept at handling multiple users/voice streams per conversation, making it prime for clan play, because clan members can just log on to the same priviate room and converse freely.

Skype seems to be more trouble for conference call type connections, but had much more support for finding individuals around it's network.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I use skype, but guess TS is okay too :)
sylvinus

Post by sylvinus »

I searched a bit more. skype conferences seem limited to 5 peers.

is there such a limitation in ventrillo ?
safi

limits

Post by safi »

yeah,

the standard, downloadable free edition is limited to 8 simultaneous connections, while you can buy licenses for more connections on your server.

So no, actually there isn't.. if u pay for it..

i didn't though, so my server can host 8 connections... (i found out later) but it's good for testing. Maybe when it'll get popular i'll upgrade :)

for now, 8 users, free to test for all here :)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Ventrillo limits are server side aren't they?

In other words most clients never have to worry about them unless they insist on regging servers that don't upgrade when thier limits are being pushed. I know there are server out there that have run absolutly massive conference connections before, in the server I use most alone we regularly have more then 10 users in an individual channel.
safi

RE: Ventrillo limits are server side aren't they?

Post by safi »

yeah, they are...

Return to “General Discussion”