Which game requires more skill?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Call of Duty 4
75%
Halo 3
25%

Total votes: 20

gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

A friend and I had a argument about this.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: Which game requires more skill?

Post by SwiftSpear »

Does CoD 4 even have multiplayer?

Either way, H2 hands down. The only skill required in CoD is twitch.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

COD4 has multiplayer, just like the rest of the series...
smoth

Post by smoth »

halo has less skill involved. if you call cod4 twitch I want to see what happens on the hardcore sniping fests.

I liked halo but honestly, trying to find that sniper hidden in a partially blown up building is hard. It gets even harder when you are in hardcore mode and his buddie has a SMG or shotgun.

halo has shields auto aim and it is much more light hearted. I still play it some times but honestly, I found myself wanting a game where it is less about die spawn kill repeat. Cod4 is a better game, and that is coming from someone who normally hates realistic fps games. The way running, jumping and hell, prone are done is much better. Also the aiming through a sight is great, sneaking up and stabbing people is harder then club club like it was in halo.

meh, I still have shit k/d ratio in both :P.
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

SwiftSpear wrote:Does CoD 4 even have multiplayer?

Either way, H2 hands down. The only skill required in CoD is twitch.
You should be baned from video games FOREVER
Why would you vote if you never played cod4
"You are an Idiot" -Dr. Phil
Last edited by gamer17 on 06 Mar 2008, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

CoD4 is pretty pro, if you take out three things... noobtubes, grenades and the P90. Of course, they're all banned in some servers... hurrah!
Erom

Post by Erom »

I've been meaning to get H3 to finish the series. Cod4 is worth buying? I've glazed over all the identical "realistic" shooter clones.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

CoD4 is fun. Its really damned fun. The single player is pretty awesome and greatly cinematic.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Erom wrote:I've been meaning to get H3 to finish the series. Cod4 is worth buying? I've glazed over all the identical "realistic" shooter clones.
the only one I have ever liked and I like the fuck out of it.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Console games dont take any skill.... :?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Ok, lets get into the nitty and gritty here. This is inherently an impossible argument at this point.

A: First we must define "more skill". Is skill a factor of being able to do a few things incredibly well, or is skill a factor of being able to do lots of things moderately well. "more skill" must be clarified to mean either "a greater number of skills" or "greater mastery of a narrow band of skills". From my point of view, the latter seems fundamentally flawed in the case of gaming. Any given game will inevitably have certain skills that will be mastered as the player gets better at the game. The trend seems to be that a game that has a more level skillset required doesn't mean that the player masters some of the skills but not the others, it means the player masters all of the skills, because all are required to compete with other high end players. Take CS, I can find you professional CS players who can BARELY bunnyhop. It's a skill that exists in the game, the best players can preform amazing movement feats, but it's not acctually required to play the game well. Fundamentally, the only thing necessary to master better than your opponents in order to beat them is the knowledge of how your guns will behave, and the ability to put your crosshair on your opponent faster than they can, both through twitch and intelligent character positioning. To me this means that the game is not 'skill balanced' and ultimately, it results in a lower total level of skills that need to be developed to play the game well. The current argument is cyclic and could go back and forth infinitely as to weather developing one skill incredibly precisely is acctually "more skill" than developing many many skills, probably close to the precision of the one another game might have, but ultimately most likely not quite as precise. I would however say, halo has a higher TOTAL number of skills a player must master in order to be the highest end.

B: "Requires", or more precisely "Which game requires"... What is the definition of requires in this context? If I'm unable to move my left thumb I can probably still play halo with my left foot. It DAMN well wouldn't make me good at the game, but I meet the "required" skill in order to play at a basic level. If we're saying "required" in the sense of what level of skill is necessary to meet the level of play we see in the high end leagues, then halo is FAR FAR FAR higher, if for no other reason than the player base is much larger. If "requires" is the amount of skill necessary to be better than your average pubber, I'd say halo is still more demanding, it's been out longer, and therefore a larger number of the "discovery" players have already quit when they decided they didn't have enough time/energy to master the game. If the amount of skill "required" refers to the amount of time to reach an effective level with the interface, once again, the xbox controller sucks ass as an interface for an FPS game, alot more time is generally spent obtaining the "skills" to perform effectively with it.

Ultimately, both "Skill" "More" and "Requires" in this context are relative terms. In order to reach any agreement, it must first be agreed upon what "skill" means exactly. How we measure it in order to determine what is "more" or "less". And what we consider an element to be at which point it is "required". Bhopping in CS is increadibly difficult to learn to do well, but to play the game, even in the high end of the highest leagues, you don't ever acctually have to preform it at all, you probably don't even need to know it's possible.

I'm of the opinion that Halo makes use of a higher total number of skills when it's being played very well. I'm of the opinion that it's more difficult to reach competitive success in Halo than it is in CoD4. I'm of the opinion that it takes longer to effectively master the Halo interface to preform reasonably well in the game. All those things I am fairly sure are true in the multiplayer environment.

Now, if we're talking about single player, that's something entirely different.

[edit] I thought of a context in which CoD wins. CoD requires much MUCH more hand and finger movement than halo does.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

More useless polls please
pintle

Post by pintle »

lol console fps
nemppu

Post by nemppu »

ooh O_O swiftie got provoked so easily, uwaaaaaaah~ so cute ;-;
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

pintle wrote:lol console fps
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
pintle wrote:lol console fps
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

gamer17 wrote:You should be baned from video games FOREVER
Why would you vote if you never played cod4
"You are an Idiot" -Dr. Phil
lol.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

I really didnt like the singleplayer in CoD4. It just breaks the immersion for me when my buddies stand up behind their cover, get a fucking hailstorm of bullets on them, and sit back down. I try the same, couple of shots and im back to the last savepoint.

And whats with the infinite waves of enemies? Jesus i mustve killed the whole of Iran on my romp through the middle east

It doesnt get better by the fact that my mates are quite content to sit on their invincible asses and just kill the endlessly spawning enemies, waiting for me to advance to stop the enemies from spawning

Oh and dont get me started on the radioactive dogs with flashbangs..
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

rattle wrote:More useless polls please
I wrote why I made the post, if you think its useless then don't vote
nemppu wrote:ooh O_O swiftie got provoked so easily, uwaaaaaaah~ so cute ;-;
I did not provoked him, he just had a dumb answer that ruined my poll
I told my friend that nobody in there right mind would say halo takes more skill(If I walk around with a rocket launcher, I'll own too)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”