PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring - Page 4

PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

BlackLiger

Re: PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring

Post by BlackLiger »

Just to note, I'd offer hosting but AF already has, and since we share hosting, meh. *shrug* :D
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

Is this the same mod as the first Star Wars TA mod? Is there a new version out and is there a way to download it?
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Is this the same mod as the first Star Wars TA mod? Is there a new version out and is there a way to download it?
In a way. SWTA was developed predominantly by Influenza, E115, Hansolo, and a few others; they all left for various reasons (school, jobs, and so on) after pack 5. Zsinj (who was a long-time player and partial contributor) built up a new team, somehow wrangling me in because I mangled a stormtrooper into a jedi model for him, and we started on pack6. Then Spring came out, we lost interest in the OTA engine, and other crap happened but basically that's the story.

There is a new version which we've been working on for the past two and a bit years since the release of 1.0 (the initial quick SWTA-->spring port), which features all new artwork and stuff, but we're currently in private beta testing. That will probably be opening up more very soon. If you absolutely must be a part of it now, you'll have to join the team and do some work ;)

We've got some new hosting worked out. Long story short, we're going with Dreamhost, which should be more than we'll ever need. We're deciding on a domain and some other details now.

One of our long-term plans was a name change (to something a bit more flashy than "Spring" tacked to the end of the franchise name) and domain purchase immediately prior to the next public release, but we shoved that up the schedule a bit due to the UF unreliability in the past couple months--first total data loss (site, not the game itself) and a couple weeks of downtime, then another week and a half or more of downtime. Zsinj will probably be posting some more details about that in a few hours or maybe in a day or so.
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

Ok, i remember the old star wars TA mod a few years back, and it was good for a first release, but everyone stopped working on it. It seemed it only needed balance fixes and, possible, a few new units. If you make an auto host for it ill probably host some games if i like the mod.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I will be? Dammit.

Anyway, yeah, we have our own personal hosting now, and I'm going to fork out a little for a domain name, etc. I think it is far better to have it 'in-house' so that we are both entirely responsible for, and in control of our hosting. That being said, I still want to thank AF for his kind offer. Thanks dude!
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That was our original product. We do not support it any more, but if you want to play it, you're welcome too.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:That's right, you did Tabula. I love that map, it's got a nice open space for big battles, pretty background scenery and interesting red lighting. The only thing it really needs is a decent skybox - the sky can at times be so ugly that I have to avoid showing it in images - unlike say, Smoth's Islands in War map, where I will actively try to feature the gorgeous skybox in screenshots.

IIRC smoth made a number of skyboxes which he released that you could easily edit with a reddish hue and use on that map, if you ever plan to re-release.
tabula is probably my ugliest map

use tumult for screenshots ftw
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think I prefer Tabula.

Also, that map also needs a pretty skybox, Spring's dynamically generated skies tend to only work for blue skies, and even then they aren't really solid enough for a real masterpiece map.
knorke

Post by knorke »

this is really nice and cool but where can i get the latest version?
It must have been a year since I played an older version of this mod!
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That was our last release, which came out well over a year ago.

That was a port of the original SWTA mod for OTA. Since then, we have essentially rebuilt everything from the ground up. When you play the new mod, you will be seeing all new models, all new textures, very different gameplay and several scripting and UI innovations. Which is essentially a long-whinded excuse for why we've taken so damn long ;)

We're currently in a closed-alpha stage. There's a handful more textures and scripts to be done, and a bit of balance testing, and then we'll be moving onto a semi-public beta, which if you're keen, reliable, and on the Spring forums, you will likely end up being involved with. That will hopefully be soon, but it really depends on how much work we get done in the next few weeks.
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

If you make an auto host program for it ill put up a server when im at work and such. Also, is there a dev forum?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yes, there is. The public dev forum is currently down for maintenance while we get our new site up and running, though.

Most of our development discussions actually take place via IRC;
server: irc.gnug.org
channel: #swta

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to remember to chase you up after release!
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

http://www.imperialwinter.com/

Website rehosted.

Design is a temporary one for the facilitating of the dev process and the beta. We have a more flashy site tucked away which needs a bit more work, but will be put up shortly before the final release.

Our last backup of the sites occurred on the 31st, and the site went down on the 12th - so all posts in the intervening time have been lost until such time as UF returns and we can port them over.

Unfortunately, that also includes any user accounts made between the 31st and the 12th. Sorry guys, you'll need to sign up again.

Thanks for your patience :)
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:http://www.imperialwinter.com/
blah blah blah... but will be put up shortly before the final release.
blah blah
Thanks for your patience :)
Ok, so refresh that page several times per day in anxious anticipation of its update, as thats the cue that the Imperial Winter release is imminent! Got it.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Or if you're that desperate, get involved in our forums and mod-related discussions, and when the time comes, you'll be more likely to end up in our beta ;)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Or if you're that desperate, get involved in our forums and mod-related discussions, and when the time comes, you'll be more likely to end up in our beta ;)
I don't know if it's just me, but personally, I'd rather rip off my left arm then get involved in another pre-release game forum :P. They are the most horrendous and empty headed places on the face of the internet.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Thanks swift, that sort of post really encourages people to join and get involved in our mod...

Besides, generalising about other forums does not necessarily preclude our forum to be awful; thus far it's been very creative and helpful. I'd link some threads, but they're all sitting on UF :P

Further, we will be conducting beta discussions on that forum, so you'll need an account there if you want to take part in the beta, so you better start gnawing on that left arm.

Return to “General Discussion”