Star Wars Spring Rename

Star Wars Spring Rename

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Star Wars Spring Rename

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

As Gnome mentioned in the magazine thread - it has always been our intention to rename "Star Wars Spring" at some point in the development process. Star Wars Spring is what the mod is, but a game, especially a wargame, needs a proper name to work with, to sell itself, and to set the tone for the game.

Our original plan was to rename prior to our big public release.

However, given the issues with our site going down and cuppy disappearing, we have had to bring that far forward. This is because we are organising our own hosting, as well as purchasing a domain name. We want the domain name to be a little bit more interesting then starwarsspring.com, especially given that a name change is likely in the future.

So, here is what we have come up with, and what Star Wars Spring will henceforth be known as:

We chose this because of the double play on the word 'Winter'; both referring to our setting in the post-Return of the Jedi period (and hence a period where the Imperials are shattered and disorganised after the colossal defeat at Endor), as well as a reference to the Seasonal name of Spring. Winter also has strong dramatic connotations that sets the tone for our wargame - which is a more serious approach to both the game making and the universe.

We will likely be purchasing the domain this weekend, so if you have any queries (I know you've all got opinions, it's the Spring forums ;) ) we're happy to hear you, but once the domain is purchased, we're sticking with it.

Hope you like it :)

GBscientist

Re: Star Wars Spring Rename

Post by GBscientist »

Bravo! I love that logo and the Empire is my favourite faction, so anything that directly relates to them is my cup of tea. Could this foreshadow a single-player campaign from the Imperial PoV?

The main reason I started playing Spring in the first place was SWS 1.0, so I am looking forward to Imperial Winter with great anticipation.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Go for it (It is your mod after all...)
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

I like it. I hope a release comes soon!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

If you use a different color for the glow (or none and at all) then I'll like it too.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Good name.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

GB; we would certainly love to do a campaign - and we do have a vague storyline and timeline planned. However, there are significant impediments in the way of doing a campaign. The biggest one is time. A decent campaign takes a long time to make, and it is important that we get the actual game finished first, before we can look at a campaign. The second big problem is that noone in the Spring community has really done a campaign before (I know there are projects on the move currently), so we'd really be forced to break ground, which means wasting time with various problems, wasting time having to teach ourselves, etc.

Essentially, it is unlikely that we will have a campaign in the first release. If someone wants to offer their time to producing a campaign for us, we would be happy to listen.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

POW POW, Independence Wars anyone?

Now that thats off my chest, all good Zsinj. Good luck with purchases.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

At LEAST a tutorial campaign...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Or a dawn of war style campaign
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I'm watching the campaign project being sorted out for BA (CA?), to see how that turns out. A tutorial campaign would certainly be nice, especially seeing as our main target audience will be new players.

AF, I never played DoW; how was that campaign sorted out? Was it like the Z campaign, in that it was essentially a bunch of skirmish maps in concession? I'd imagine that would be potentially even harder to be fulfilling then a scripted campaign; with a scripted campaign we don't need an AI to really think for itself too much - with a series of skirmishes, the AI really needs to be difficult. This is particularly problematic because of how much we have changed the resource systems around - none of the existing AI's would work with them.

Any interested AI programmers are welcome to help us out with that though - we don't really have anyone on the team who is capable of that sort of work, nor anyone who really has the time (we need to get our content done)
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

Spring and Star Wars, together at last!

clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Loving the new name and logo!!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yah

If I built such a campaign mode into my campaign builder I would indeed set up a basic AI, which could then be customize either for harder difficulty or custom rules such as faction A cannot cross over here or Faction B cannot grow larger than size X etc...

According to my brand new pc zone that arrived this morning something similar is planned for CnC Red alert 3(or was that CC3 kanes wrath?).

Something along these lines would also provide the infrastructure needed for Intergalactic warfare boneyards style.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Lol, thanks for that machiosabre.

AF, boneyards capability would certainly be brilliant, but that's an innovation that should probably be integrated into the lobby.

Also, a campaign style like that would be great, but again, we still have the same AI issues to deal with. We don't have the knowledge nor the manpower to do a proper AI for Imperial Winter at this point.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Nemo managed to scrape together a cool "mission" and was working on a way to do events (ie when this unit does, something terrible happens, like robohitlerzombie appears)

I personally don't like the name, I think its cheesy, but then again I am a minimalist when it comes to naming ("Spring: 1944")
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm behind you all the way. Tell me when you want more voices, and when the forum is back.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Spiked: You could have just named it "1944", that's even more minimal! :P

Neddie: It technically is up on the new host, but I'm keeping it locked for a couple days extra to see if UF might come back. My backup was from January 31 and the site went down on February 11 so it's not a huge loss if we move on, but at this point an extra couple days won't hurt.

About the voice acting, it'd probably be good to get a few more units out of you. I'll have to double-check everything that's been done first, though.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

The CA campaign seems to be mostly talk right now, im afraid. Im writing the new storyline an we've come up with a few script ideas and concepts for a campaign. Complicated and some other guys have also been talking up a campaign (this would be what you are referring to) but that doesnt seem to be going anywhere atm.

What we need is people who are actually capable of making a campaign, or willing to learn.

For what its worth we've tossed around the idea of an overgame (galaxy with planets, prob) to link it all together (rather than just a linear storyline) too.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yeah, someone really needs to either sit down and do a campaign so that we can all see exactly how it is done, or go one better write a trigger based campaign widget, with some basical modifiers (ie: when unit X is at position Y, perform Z - When player A has performed Task B, perform C, etc). If you look at games that have basic built-in campaign makers, such as the Age of Empires series, the amount of custom-built campaigns is staggering - some of which are surprisingly detailed. If it can be done by someone that doesn't need to learn complicated lua to make it, you will find far more willing people to produce campaigns.

I also think that a customiseable boneyards style meta-game would be brilliant if it was a very simple framework that could be easily hooked into the lobby. That way everyone can customise the metagame to suit their particular mod. SWS would have the star wars galaxy, BA could have the Core galaxy, and assuming that combat zones are just links on a flat plane with an image beneath, 1944 could have a map of europe, or whatever.

Return to “Game Development”