Core Leveler +1 - Page 3

Core Leveler +1

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MR.D

Re: Core Leveler +1

Post by MR.D »

yup, there is a big empty space where the logo was gonna be.

I guess its better though, this way any mod can put whatever logo needed for factions.
smoth

Post by smoth »

that empty space is where I get to "dock" and "clone" with his model!
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

*wonders what smoth's type of 'philia is called*

Robophilia?
smoth

Post by smoth »

mechophilia
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

but the leveler's a tank...
tombom

Post by tombom »

Guessmyname wrote:but the leveler's a tank...
jesus christ why do you have to sap all the fun out of a somewhat amusing comment
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Smoth is a pattern... nuff said.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Guessmyname wrote:but the leveler's a tank...
mecha can be anything mechanical. Meaning I could hump all up on a lascannon if Mr. D. made it sexy enough :P/
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

You'll burn your Pee Pee kid..
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Very cool.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Well it looks pretty good in Upspring with all the teamcolor and Reflections going, hopefully that translates over to looking good in game.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Mr.D, I think this is probably one of the best textures you've done, and significantly better then your last few attempts (not that they were bad).

This one has a clear attempt to marry your 'techno-noise' with the geometry, which makes it read much better (in my opinion) then say, the Slasher. It also has good contrasting tones, and isn't afraid to go for a plain material texture for the barrel, which I think makes it look very believable and realistic.

The only suggestion I can make is that perhaps it could do with a bit more wear and tear? I realise these things have technically 'just been built', but in my opinion, the immersion break from seeing a scuffed tank roll out of the factory is less then the immersion break from seeing a bunch of totally pristine tanks duking it out in the field.
Tired

Post by Tired »

It has just been built. If you want battle damage, then ask our lua kids to find a way to make carbon scoring stick to models that've taken fire.

For Core, anyway. Arm can have all the battle damage textured on ya want. =)
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Well, I disagree. I think you're going to look at the unit as 'just built' for all of three seconds after it's built. After that, it looks a little strange (imo) to not have dirt on it's tracks, look a little rusty in areas, and show scars from previous battles.

Of course, dynamic battle damage from a lua overlay texture would be ideal - but when I suggested that a while ago I didn't get many bites.

I also think that after "The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination. Both sides, now crippled beyond repair. The remnants of their armies continue to battle on ravaged planets; their hatred fueled by over four thousand years of total war." Either side could arguably have 'dirty' textures ;)
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

TBH, I think that only really applies to the Commanders..

Its a tough argument though, of course units will look better with some wear and tear and dirt and all that stuff.

Problem is that I'm not that great at texturing to start with, and I'd probably just end up making it look worse :-)

Worst of all, is that to do a dynamic texture layering live in game would require resources that most clients don't have extra for.

Geometry wrapped layers like ground scars already cause a massive FPS hit, what would it do for hundreds of units on screen?

Alot of players can't even handle Spring's high range graphics, such as all the Shiny models, dynamic clouds, shadows, or the advanced water rendering.... Heck... ATI users can't even see half of the cool eye candy stuff thats been coded in recently.

I just can't help thinking that there must be a better way..
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Maybe you can just use some really fancy shader to blend 2 textures.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

but when I suggested that a while ago I didn't get many bites.
Does it relieve you if I tell you that I had the same idea a short time before you made that post? Yeah great idea etc. Now acquire someone to get it done! :P
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Well, what I suggested was to have a 'damage' texture that simply increases in opacity as the unit takes on more and more damage. Such a texture could easily be kept at 256*256 for most units, and many units, if not all units, could share the same damage texture (or make 2-3 for variation). Then the game is only loading a couple of very small textures which can be used across all units. Presumably the penalty on systems would not be much more then having 2-3 more units loaded into memory.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

AH-ha

Then we just need a model format or script for .s3o that can swap the main texture out.

We can use completely separate textures for these stages, all based on the 1st one.

Maybe an example would be like this?

A script would load different textures as the unit takes damage, like corgator_1_clean.dds, then switch to corgator_1_light.dds, corgator_1_medium.dds, then to corgator_1_heavy.dds as it takes more and more damage.

I know newer game engines support this, but to retrofit SPring to handle something like that would be a question for the coders.

Something like this would be easier for Video cards to handle because its not a layering effect, but this will up the requirements for memory usage.

Is something like this even possible?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Um, you could swap stuff out in LUA, but the actual texture reference is done within .S3O. IOW, gradual stuff is not terribly practical, I'm afraid.

If I can, I am going to try and get the 3DO / S3O mess looked at, in about a month, when I'm not getting the basics of P.U.R.E.'s second faction done, and then maybe we can have new model formats, that don't have these problems. I'm tired of waiting for this, it's about the only major thing that Spring can't do yet, due to choices made years ago...

Return to “Art & Modelling”