Feature Request: Formations

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

tanelorn

Post by tanelorn »

You know for all the time I played TA, the thing I hated most was how you could line up your units in good formations, with the units you wanted in the front, middle, rear ranks, in a line or a V or whatever. But select them and give them a destination and it becomes a cluster.

Wouldn't it be great if, when you highlighted a group of units and gave them a destination, their destination points would be in the same pattern as the starting positions? Imagine that!
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well there is already some formation thing in spring. If I remeber correctly, its accessed with the group AI button. but I could be wrong.

Defniatley would be a bonus to see some improved formation movements though.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Yup, sleect your units, go select AI, anc choose "simple formation"

Right click and drag to place them, you need to double click your group to get the formation thing to work again after deselecting.

Anywyas, it doesnt work incredibly, more often than not units push others around and none end up in their required position, also, units dont move at the same speed while in formation so if there happen to be fast units behind they'l muff everything up when you move the formation.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

you can make a ctrl-click and your unit will keep their position.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Where have you learnt that?

There's so many features that are coded but we aren't aware of!

Better communication please!
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

zwzsg wrote:Where have you learnt that?
I've just tried :)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Torrasque wrote:...
I've just tried :)
Well, i tried too, in the earlier days of Spring, and i didn't managed to do anything with any of those so, i just assumed they weren't working yet...

Does anyone knows what the other selectable group AIs do?
mongus

Post by mongus »

metal maker ai.. asign to meta makers... (and not mexes).
(Turns off mm when energy is around 50% of the storage capacity, restarts @ +-70%)

its sad that "in formation" units loose almost all orders.. like attack.
im sure they are willing to change that, but atm, you cant tell formations to attack ground.. (not sure of move or patroll...).

the formations work great anyhow, if you have different types of units selected they get arranged by type. (arty and lrm in the back, tanks in front).

A good addition to formations and groups.. is auto group select, ( "q" is select current ai group), the same as q but automatically...
i know not everybody like this, so it can be a switch within the group ai menu.
Last edited by mongus on 21 Aug 2005, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

mongus wrote:metal maker ai.. asign to meta makers... (and not mexes).
Ok, but what does it do?
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Ok, but what does it do?
It closes down MM when energy reaches 0... and puts them back online when you have full energy.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

I think it actually does more than that. Metal maker AI seems like it turns off metal makers even before the stall (energy 0) actually happens. Seems like it balances it. To use it, select one, or multiple metal makers and then goto select AI - metal maker ai. It is very useful in game, I always use it.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Metal maker ai turn off stuff at 30% energy and turn off enough metal makers so that your deficit for the last second is balanced out. At 70% it start turning them on, turning on enough to balance your surplus the last second.
For this reason you should only have one metal maker ai otherwise both of them will turn off enough in their own groupd to cancel the deficit/surplus which will lead to oscilating behaviour (not that it matter much but still...).

Simple formation allows you to form up units although as you have seen its not called simple for nothing.

Central build AI allows you to assign a number of construction units to it and then give it any build order that at least one of those can do. It will then try to assign build units in an optimal way to the different tasks although its not terribly good at it yet.

I havent had time to do anything with these lately so if someone else wants to improve them ...
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

heres a list of a few bugs and ideas i have had that i thought i should just post in this topic rather than starting a new one... (dont flame me... theyre just suggestions!)

-shouldnt the commander be able to trample trees (he cant, can he...?)
-it doesnt seem possible to guard buildings (or units?) that are under construction
-the 'repeat' command working with nuke/antinuke facilities would be great, maybe the numeral on the right in the buildpic could change to an infinity (sideways 8 ) sign to...
-i dont think units reclaim stuff when guarding other units...
-the range of damage for nukes around the attack cursor would be great
-when typing messages ingame the text still goes off of the screen
-how come there arent the little clicking noises and stuff when you click a buildpic, scroll build menu, etc
-sometimes when units are guarding another unit they make noises as if responding to commands when in fact they are merely moving/following the master unit
-what are peoples thoughts on being able to build over other buildings? (ie. place a moho over a metal extractor so the con unit reclaims it automatically...)
mongus wrote:its sad that "in formation" units loose almost all orders.. like attack.
hmmm maybe this should be i teh bugs forum...
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Cnetral build AI is very nice if you know how to use it, but it doesnt work online unless you are the host :(
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

SJ wrote:Metal maker ai ...
This is awesome... :shock:
SJ wrote:...
Central build AI allows you to assign a number of construction units to it and then give it any build order that at least one of those can do. It will then try to assign build units in an optimal way to the different tasks although its not terribly good at it yet.
I thought that the normal selection of diferent builders already did that!? If you select a comm, a lvl-1 const and a lvl-2 const, you'll have access to all the buildings the 3 can build...
But, when given an order, only the ones that can build that building will do it, so, that may be the diference... Got to try it out.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

shnorb wrote:...
-it doesnt seem possible to guard buildings (or units?) that are under construction
It is, at least with other builders. Just use the key "G" because the standard action with the RMB is repair until the unit finished or if it is damaged.
-i dont think units reclaim stuff when guarding other units...
They don't...
-what are peoples thoughts on being able to build over other buildings? (ie. place a moho over a metal extractor so the con unit reclaims it automatically...)
How many times have i wished that the mexxes would be considered as a reclaimable feature when placing mohos...
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

-how come there arent the little clicking noises and stuff when you click a buildpic, scroll build menu, etc
If the development team whishes to use, i've uploaded this click sound into fileuniverse.
That sound was arranged by me, from free sources on the Internet, to be used in the game Lincity-ng. It has been chosen to be the new Game of the Month at the time and i took charge of the sound engineering (not musics).
Very nice game, by the way. Free, multiplatform working on Linux and more. Nice grafics, solid construction good sounds (i hope you like), has music...

Return to “General Discussion”