DWARF FORTRESS - Page 26

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Erom

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Erom »

Right now, it's mostly for adventure mode (big towns have a temple with priests now). Goblins worship demons, though, and if you start a fort in a goblin town, or enter a goblin town as an adventurer, the demon is on site and angry. Religion also gives the civilization something to fight over once the Army Arc is done. Right now, it doesn't affect fort mode much.
manored

Post by manored »

Dwarves arent religious then :)
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

IMO, the two most welcome additions in the latest version (38a):

* Ambushes. Unlike sieges, goblin ambushes can show up at any time, and they go completely unannounced until one of your dwarves sees them. I think this element restores some of the unpredictable death, destruction, and general fun that's been lacking in the 3D version.

* Color-coded dwarf preferences. It's now much easier to look at a dwarf's profile and quickly identify the things he likes.

The next version, due within a week or so, should contain a ton of bug fixes - including some improved pathfinding which will allow dwarves to walk around each other again. They hadn't been using wide hallways for a while now.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Really excited to see hallways getting fixed, and ambushes are AWESOME if you run DF on a subpar computer - nice to see some enemy action before your population gets so high the game chokes.
manored

Post by manored »

I suppose ambushes happen around the same time than sieges tough... I wouldnt like seeing a horde of globins storming in on the first year :)
Erom

Post by Erom »

They occur much earlier, actually. How early depends on how close you settle to kobold and goblin cities. I got a kobold ambush shortly after arriving, once. I hadn't even deconstructed my wagon. Fortunately, no bowmen, and a woodcutter and a hunter can together kill 3-4 melee kobolds pretty easily.
Krathi

Post by Krathi »

Looks awesome. *gets*
darkedone02

Post by darkedone02 »

I am a fan of visuals and I tried playing this game about two times, and dislike it cause it's too confusing. I prefer to play today games then this binary game, no offense.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

What this game is doing would be impossible to do in a 3D environment without a HUGE team of artists.

I can appreicate not liking the graphics, I can appreciate not liking the gameplay, but you still have to give DF credit for what it is. In many ways it's so much more than any other game ever made.
Krathi

Post by Krathi »

I tried this, and I have no clue what I am doing o_o

Still not giving up though >.<
Erom

Post by Erom »

SwiftSpear wrote:What this game is doing would be impossible to do in a 3D environment without a HUGE team of artists.
Not to mention either requiring insane computer specs or reducing the fidelity of the simulation. Not that there aren't some pretty blatant optimizations that could occur.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

It would be so worth it tough.

Computer specs wouldn't be that much of a problem I think, it's such an error to think amazing game mechanics = needs high spec, their more or less unrelated, its amazing game mechanics = need a lot of programmer work. (also graphics artists team rivaling world of warcrafts in this case indeed)
Last edited by Zpock on 16 Feb 2008, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

darkedone02 wrote:binary game
:roll: :lol:

Also: reply 512 GET
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

New version: 0.27.173.38a->0.27.176.38a
Lots of bug fixes & tweaks.
DF would be kick*ss in real 3D, but that won't happen until it's impossible to represent the game mechanics in a 2d display. Even 2.5D 'Doom' graphics would be great, but even that would require a large team of programmers. It's the animations that take forever to make.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Theres already a dwarf 3d visualizer. It shouldnt be hard to throw in some sprites (there are already a lot of graphical sets out there) and make it a fully fledged dwarf 3d.

Though im sure it would kill your computer EVEN MORE than it currently does.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Saktoth wrote:Theres already a dwarf 3d visualizer. It shouldnt be hard to throw in some sprites (there are already a lot of graphical sets out there) and make it a fully fledged dwarf 3d.
I'm not so sure of that.
manored

Post by manored »

If one were to make a 3D dwarf fortress, then it should put a little more effort to make a anything-you-want-simulated game at once :)
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

In celebration of the arrival of my new laptop, I started a new fortress.
I found a nice region: magma, flux, trees, river and a giant eagle.
I hope that eagle doesn't attack early on.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:
Saktoth wrote:Theres already a dwarf 3d visualizer. It shouldnt be hard to throw in some sprites (there are already a lot of graphical sets out there) and make it a fully fledged dwarf 3d.
I'm not so sure of that.
I'd be happy with 90% of the exact same sprites I have now in a 3D view. The rest, meh, it's THREE DEE.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Ah yeah that would be pretty brilliant. Just use the current tiles as textures on small cubes for the terrain and simple billboards for all the creatures.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”