Video: Walk of the Monkeylord

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

That looks very very amazing.

Props, zwzsg ^_^

Could you make it force-fire the stomping weapon at all, even only in spring? It would be sweet to see the monkeylord actually deforming the terrain with its steps. It would actually leave a footprint :D
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

coool... something must be done to the slope thingy... sometimes it really gets underground... maybe the slope could be checked from 2 spots ? or more... not only from middle of the unit... anyone understand ?
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Pictures look nice. Any plans to upload the actual unit?
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

awesome :D
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

wow, PLEASE post this unit :P [edit, I see there is a link on tauniverse...]
I think the krogoth still needs a good arm enemy...
coool... something must be done to the slope thingy... sometimes it really gets underground... maybe the slope could be checked from 2 spots ? or more... not only from middle of the unit... anyone understand ?
I don't think it's possible to find the height of the map from within script, otherwise zwzsg - lord of ta scripting :) - would have done it already.
Last edited by jcnossen on 20 Aug 2005, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Okay, first of all, duplicates (an "Arm Krogoth") are the most boring and least satisfying form of balance ever. Besides, the Krog is already very very easily countered by Arm forces.

Second of all, dude, it's a Cybran unit. Cybrans are AI and cyborgs. Core is effectively that, and Core is Arm's mortal enemy. There's no possible way it'd make any sense being an Arm unit :P
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Second of all, dude, it's a Cybran unit. Cybrans are AI and cyborgs. Core is effectively that, and Core is Arm's mortal enemy. There's no possible way it'd make any sense being an Arm unit
In any case, there must be some reasoning possible to get this awesome unit into XTA :) There MUST be !

For the sake of not hijacking this thread I won't go into defending an arm krogoth....
mongus

Post by mongus »

Wow.. definetly.. er.. hahaha... lol man, that thing is enormous, and... a hack of gpg art.. haha, it looks very good.

Very nice zwzsg.

(now, .. i wonder if the legs... can stay in its place.. then the only thing that moves is the torax, and depends on the legs advance for its turning rate.. actually, if you look at the video, there are parts in which the legs slide through the ground.. that looks ... not real.. the legs should stay in one place... like static units, ontop of which is mounted the torax... that is deffinettly something to add, or workorund for the new unit format... just imagine how nice would the animation look then..., end of mumble).

Really impressive.. i dont know if laugh or be amazed.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

@rediculously small text

That would probably requre inverse kinematics (complicated) to be programmed into spring i'f i'm interpreting you right.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

It's so hmmm sexy....
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Don't forget to congratulate Rampage and Wotan. It's them who made that awesome model.

I'll try to give it a constantly firing weapon with the firing point moving from feet tip to feet tip. Currently the stomping effect is just scripted, it absorbs units near its feet and show an explosion.

The unit has been uploaded, as an attachemnt to some TAU posts, just follow the tinyurl. However it's not finished yet, it's still a work-in-progress. Plus I had to change a few things for Spring. And yet I haven't Springified it completly. For instance I wanted to replace the pseudo beam made with a custom shot model with spring beamweapon=1, but it seems that beamweapon laser don't use the thickness and intensity tags, and anyway the intensity tag is limited and 2/3 of the shot always remain transparent.

I can only think of it as a Core unit:
- By tradition it's always only Core who's got to play with the big toys. The Krogoth, Sumo, Goliath, are all core units.
- The texturing style is Core.
- Like Gnome says, the twinned individuals concept is so reminiscent of the mind patterning that we can't help but think that the Cybran are the Core-like faction of SupCom. Even the agressive and inhuman looks of their units reminds me of Core.
The only argument to make it an arm unit would be the briefing of the third arm mission, where it says that all terrain six legged units are an Arm specific technology. But later in the campaign Core get the six legged roachs, so!

Yes it's possible to read the ground height and the slope from a script. Yes I've done it already, like on that old AT-AT. I've even made a unit that read the ground height below another unit. The problem is not knowing what the slope is, it's knowing how to turn the legs articulation so the feet just touch the surface.

Some time ago I've been thinking about taking my tracking slug script, multiply it by six and mounting it on each leg, and then give them the consign to keep tracking a given fixed point while the body they are attached to move. And to perform the leg coming back and choose a new fixed point to track when it's no longer possible to reach the current point. But there's a few problem. First, I can't just retract some segment to give the leg the appropriate length like I did for the slug. The leg only has cylindrical joints, with fixed lenght between them. Maybe I could write the inverse kinematic model on paper, but coding it in the limited unit script language won't be easy. I mean, I can't even use cos and sin and root in scripts! Also, if the body tilt, the transformation between the local coordinates system and the global one becomes over-complex.

And then, if each leg run its own track-a-fixed-point script, there's also the problem of making sure legs don't loose their synchronisation, it would look odd if after a while you start to see it lifting all the legs of the same side at once because legs movement became independ of each other. And I also have to make sure legs never collide. Already, with the current predefined metronomically precise walk script legs nearly hit each others. If each leg is allowed to choose how to turn by itself, how could I prevent leg collision?

So I'm not sure it's a good idea to start scripting such a complain and uncertain script.

Maybe I could just script so they turn up and down to follow ground surface, but otherwise keep following the predefined walk animation and still slide along the surface? Still, I'm afraid of the complexity added by the body tilting.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

That's such a cool model, it looks great in Spring, and really heighlights the power of the engine.
ankh

Post by ankh »

It looks really impressive, great job ;)

Maybe you might change ratio beetween animation and speed of the units, because he "patinate" (i'm not sure of the traduction, sorry ;)),
and change de raygun to a annihilator-like ray?

Well done, i wait for new video with impatience ;)
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

I belive the word you are looking for may be "accelerate"
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

zwzsg, i think that you should just go for it. It's you, after all. :D There's noone better qualified to do it ^_^

Return to “Art & Modelling”