PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring - Page 2

PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Re: PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring

Post by Gnomre »

We have a website (when it chooses to be up :P) with a small 'Press' section on our about page, which helps.

We've also been featured in PCG UK and PC Zone (same parent company IIRC) before, so I think we have a fan on their staff watching us. We literally got the email for the interview thing less than a week after I put up the press contact email thing on our about page. So there you go, that's our secret!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:We're happy to announce that Star Wars Spring was recently given a full page spread in the current (Feb) edition of PCGamer (UK).

The article contains part of an interview conducted with me towards the end of 2007, as well as some detailed explanations of our approach to game design and gameplay. We were pretty lucky in that they've approached the article from a serious perspective, and looked at what we've had to say and show from an equal standing point.

Here are two quick quotes:
PCGamer wrote:We sometimes cover things in Mod News that we secretly suspect will never see the light of day. Some ideas are just too good to be true. But Star Wars Spring, a free, decent-looking Star Wars RTS, is actually a pretty safe bet.
PCGamer wrote:The rather chirpily named Spring engine is a free framework for making RTS games, most notably the loving Total Annihilation remake Spring:TA

If you're in the UK, I strongly suggest you pick up the latest PCGamer and check out the rest of the article :)

And while I've got your attention, don't forget to:
- Check out our forums, where we post regular art previews
- Help us out if you are interested in texturing, modelling, scripting, sound-mixing or scripting (cob or lua).
- Help us voice our units. All you need is a microphone!
- Keep an eye on our forums for the beta announcement
- bug me to finally post the results of the commander competition

Site down momentarily while UF is down. Bear with us while cuppy fixes whatever the problem happens to be. You can reach me via PM if necessary
fukin' aye man, way to go.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Grumble grumble totally unfair :P

This is me green with jealousy. Cool though.
eriatarka

Post by eriatarka »

If this mod is unreleased, what's the Star Wars mod I have on my harddisk?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

eriatarka wrote:If this mod is unreleased, what's the Star Wars mod I have on my harddisk?
Very, very old.
smoth

Post by smoth »

a version from roughly two years ago probably.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Mmmm release. It would be tragic if you got dozens of new players, enough to build a solid playerbase (THE HARDEST THING for a new mod to do, and what determines its success!) and they all left because they cant actually play the game.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

We've been trying to contact you for something along those lines, Saktoth. The site being down isn't helping though. Wherefore art though, Cuppy?!?
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:We've been trying to contact you for something along those lines, Saktoth. The site being down isn't helping though. Wherefore art though, Cuppy?!?
Has anyone heard from cup? Does anyone even know how to get in contact with him irl? I rarely use msn myself, but I haven't seen him online in ages.

This is the worst timing ever!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A C&D is unlikely, AFAIK Lucas Arts has even given a go-ahead to some Star Wars mods (Troopers for UT2004 is one) which means they cannot C&D it later, usually companies give no response so they can C&D.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yes, your avatar sums up my feelings on the matter perfectly, Hrmph ;)

We really need to get into contact with cup. The article contained a direct link to our unknown-files address. Is there anyone around who knows cuppy in real life that we can chase him down with?
malric

Post by malric »

Maybe someone can try to use the whois information of unknown-files.net . (it's in UK)

(and if you are very impatient you could try the phone number there :p)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

you could claim that UF went down cos of so many people were trying to get on to check the forums and eating all the bandwidth makes SW spring seem more popular :p

but anywayz great job cant wait to play

btw hoth map in the making rite ?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

As was covered in the article, we do have a few Star Wars themed maps on the backburner, but maps are quite time-consuming to produce, so we need to focus on getting our content done first. Suffice to say, I think you'll be interested by some of the maps we've planned.

I should add, however, if there are any talented map makers that would like to make some Star Wars themed maps for us (or finish the ones we have started), they should contact me via PM. These would be likely included in any SWS installer, and we would assist any map maker in the production of map features.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

KDR_11k wrote:A C&D is unlikely, AFAIK Lucas Arts has even given a go-ahead to some Star Wars mods (Troopers for UT2004 is one) which means they cannot C&D it later, usually companies give no response so they can C&D.
iirc, LucasArts' rule is simple: you can set it in the Star Wars universe if you like, as long as you don't use any Star Wars named characters. So go nuts with Stromtroopers, Jedi, AT-ATs, etc. Just don't you dare include 4-LOM.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Does the article link to spring.clan-sy.com as well ?

Ugh, still no cuppeh! He must be getting loaded at uni!
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Just checked - no link to spring.clan-sy.com, unfortunately.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It was already in PC gamer like 2 years ago, wasn't it? :? That hugeass Star Wars spread is just going to attract legal teams.
Gota

Post by Gota »

heh.
Your awsome Caydr.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Awesome at not reading any post in the thread.

Return to “General Discussion”