So you're looking for an MP3 player but don't want to be a t

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Ran out of space there... "but don't want to be a trendy Apple whore?"

I know you, you're like me. You want an MP3 player but they all get mixed reviews and have one problem or another. You buy cheapass ones from cheapass stores and they need AA batteries and you feel like a tool when you use it because you can afford better, just better doesn't exist.

You want an iPod basically, only without making yourself look like an emo desperately in need of recognition as being trendy and hip? Well have I got the product for you....

Samsung YP-K3J QB 2gb mp3 player

Rules.

Good price.

Might read a review or two from an Apple user who doesn't know what a monitor is, who says "it my pc not work i can t connect i need more trendy". This is because they used the included software, like a MORON. You don't use included software for anything, EVER.

Plug the thing in. It uses USB. That newfangled thing. XP detects it, and in a minute you're ready to go. You can only copy things to the proper folders. I don't know why. You CAN use it like a usb drive - just put things in the DATA folder. Music goes in the MUSIC folder. HOLY COW IT'S TECHNOLOGY SAVE ME WHAT ARE A FOLDER :'( I NEED MOAR BLACK MAKEUP

So it's 4 gb now. I feel cheated. Ah well, I only have 900mb of music.
link
So for you Americans out there, that's about a dollar more than the listed price in your currency. This is madness!

Battery life is beyond excellent, sound quality is very good, has an FM tuner, and the interface is super-super-intuitive.
Peet
Malcontent

Re: So you're looking for an MP3 player but don't want to be a t

Post by Peet »

The current mp3 market is irritating..there doesn't seem to be a place for mid-sized players anymore. Either you get a ridiculously large harddrive-based one, or one with a solid state drive that gets prohibitively expensive beyond 8gb or so. I have 12GB of music; neither of these fields fit me.

Not entirely related, but it's something that's been bothering me for awhile.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yeah, I'm in about the same boat as peet...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

12 gb? :|

Since you started going off topic first...

Ever thought of trying a different compression? If you have that much music, I'm guessing you ripped it yourself lossless. I don't know what you're using, but maybe converting to 160kb abr AAC would reduce that a lot and wouldn't be discernably lower quality. I use 128-192 vbr mp3 and I can't tell it from the disc. I have good ears, too.

Do you guys have entire albums or just select tracks? My opinion is, most artists have 2 or 3 really good songs at most, so why do you want to listen to all the tracks they just made to pad the disc? There's exceptions, like Radiohead... but not 12gb worth afaik... Maybe I just haven't heard enough music.
Last edited by Caydr on 12 Feb 2008, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

320 or bust....192 sounds like crap, 128 is almost intolerable.
And no, I ripped little of it myself. Arrrr. <_<
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

128 is definitely intolerable, I agree there. So if you didn't rip it yourself, how do you know what your actual source quality is? For instance, I might encode a track at 192kbps, but if it was originally 96, it's going to sound like crap. Or maybe you haven't used a good quality encoder?

Have you tried AAC? It gets better quality at lower bitrates, so when I say 192 is practically perfect, it's more like 224 or 256 mp3.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Caydr wrote:128 is definitely intolerable, I agree there. So if you didn't rip it yourself, how do you know what your actual source quality is? For instance, I might encode a track at 192kbps, but if it was originally 96, it's going to sound like crap. Or maybe you haven't used a good quality encoder?

Have you tried AAC? It gets better quality at lower bitrates, so when I say 192 is practically perfect, it's more like 224 or 256 mp3.
Looking again at my library, more than half of my music is <=192kbps. I just have an assload of music :P

Either way, I don't encode the music myself, I ...obtain it already encoded. If it's been re-encoded from a lower bitrate, I can tell. I generally delete such songs and ...obtain them from another source.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

YARRR! SPRING FORUMS BE NOT SUCH A PLACE FUR DISCUSSIONS ON DE METHODS OF OBTAINMENT! ARRRRRRR!
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

SwiftSpear wrote:YARRR! SPRING FORUMS BE NOT SUCH A PLACE FUR DISCUSSIONS ON DE METHODS OF OBTAINMENT! ARRRRRRR!
which iS precisely why i have nOt discUssed my entirely Legitimate methodS of obtainmEnt.

EK.
smoth

Post by smoth »

My ipod, got it for christmas, still listen to it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I have 70 GB of music.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

VBR mp3 ftw.
lurker

<3 my half-price 30GB zune

Post by lurker »

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

anythingbutanipod.com offers a great selection.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

sansa c240

excellent price
excellent features

I love mine.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Peet wrote:The current mp3 market is irritating..there doesn't seem to be a place for mid-sized players anymore. Either you get a ridiculously large harddrive-based one, or one with a solid state drive that gets prohibitively expensive beyond 8gb or so. I have 12GB of music; neither of these fields fit me.

Not entirely related, but it's something that's been bothering me for awhile.
I think that's because harddrives don't cost much more to get ridiculously large so they figure they can just throw a few extra bucks in to get 3-4 times the capacity. A 20GB flash drive would be waaaaaay too expensive and a 20GB HDD costs only a few bucks less than a 60-80GB.

Also Caydr, looks like you've stopped pretending to make a mod again, eh?
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Peet wrote:I have 12GB of music
what the shit
thats how much i get in a week :/
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

I dont get how people can/think they can tell the difference between 128 and 320. To me it's just wasted disk space.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

on an mp3 player u can rarely tell the diff between low and high bit rate

put a 128 track in a proper sound system of say a car with a nice setup and put the volume up and watch the epic fail of the 128 track compared to a higher bitrate

for mp3 players it rarely matters unless it really is a shit bitrate
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Solid state memory is always dropping in price. That's why I want a player that's upgradeable. And the only format that's worth is SDHC (SD High Capacity). I just got an 8gb card for $40. And prices still continue to drop. I need a player that supports such cards. That way I get another card, drag/drop hours and hours more of music on it, put it in my player and walk out the door. I don't have to buy a new player, I don't have to erase stuff off my player or previous card. I can just keep upgrading, and the cards are the size of a stamp so I can take them all with me.

The problem is it's really hard to find a medium end player, like someone else mentioned in this thread. I can either buy the giant expensive video-playing monster with the built in 8 gigs which does your taxes and costs hundreds of dollars or the tiny little made-in-china matchbox that has no display and has some crazy name like happyGOplayer for $20.

I just want one that's SDHC compatible, nice id3 tag display, preferably using AAA battery, and no built in memory (they don't have built in memory in cameras so why in an mp3 player?).

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”