Urban map

Urban map

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

user

Urban map

Post by user »

this is a urban map made by me, has no buildings, but uses a cool urban texture, i will post a screenshot showing how it looks like in game.

it is 16x16.

deleted the old image to attach a new, better image.
new image is a Urban battle image, quality lowered by alot, to lower filesize.

this image is to show how a urban battle looks.

Attachments
screen002.jpg
(40.82 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Last edited by user on 11 Feb 2008, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Erom

Re: Urban map

Post by Erom »

Would be a nice base map to generate World Builder cities on. The texture could be better, but it's not terrible.
smoth

Post by smoth »

we need kloot's patch...

chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

>_< *fap*
user

Post by user »

smoth map looks better.

i didnt took time to make my map look good, all i done was painting with
textures, i wanted to see how a urban map looks in spring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

user wrote:smoth map looks better.

i didnt took time to make my map look good, all i done was painting with
textures, i wanted to see how a urban map looks in spring.

it was fine until I added these tall buildings and realized that spring has terrible support for tall buldings. Past that, dumbfire missile using units will try and shoot through the buildings. which also is bad. Then there is the issue of the buildings blocking your cursor and if you have a con selected it would go to a reclaim cursor(I believe this was fixed with a tag) Also, fps drops for a high quantity of features(I believe I read that gaia placement is less costly, I have not had time to test)
user

Post by user »

i managed to get my placeholder buildings working, now i see that big buidings have problems, i will post a screenshot later, i am still making the feature map, placing them with gaia is not the solution.

my buildings are very simple, they are just a big rectangle, they are more tall than that krogoth, the height of the biggest is 305.
user

Post by user »

deleted the old image to post a new one.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

/me waits for the screams and flames about scale :roll: :P

in all honesty, the buildings are too tall, to too big of texture,
a peewee is supposed to be nearly 3 stories tall... :wink:

edit:
/me cracks his knuckes cause the rest of my parts for my computer "should" arrive today, save for the processor which is on backorder til march, (damn new quad core hehe) but yeah, the prescott p4 works for now... BUT when it gets online, I'm giving my models to the public, we need some more enthusiam... expect urban soon.. (I hope) :mrgreen:

--- I just need to do the darn damage parts.. :( maybe I'll creatively come up with an easy solution to make them faster :roll: I dunno... we'll have to see
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

LathanStanley wrote:/me waits for the screams and flames about scale :roll: :P

I can fit a swarm of peewees on one slice of pepperoni.
user

Post by user »

these are just placeholders, i am waiting for that cool buildings in world builder.

these buildings are not very tall, they are just more than double of the size of a krogoth in balanced annihilation.

about 15 times more tall than a commander.

one problem, is that aircrafts dont collide with them, i am using the collide options.(that mod on the screenshot is not BA)

that map is fun to play even with all that buildings, it hardly lags,
and there are 4922 buildings.

and those buildings can take a few nukes before being destroyed(about 5 i think)
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

CarRepairer wrote:
LathanStanley wrote:/me waits for the screams and flames about scale :roll: :P

I can fit a swarm of peewees on one slice of pepperoni.

I've been gone too long, is there a effing pizza map or something? like the cow map, or duck, or whatever the hell stupid maps tards produce? sigh..

in all honesty, your little comment isn't funny, constructive, or beneficial...

I suppose mine wasn't either, nor is this one..

grumble... too many trolls, and I just classed myself one, :x

oh well, back on topic, if you set the large buildings to nondestructable and tweak the collision boxes, you can make them where you can't mouse-over on them, but then you can't reclaim, or destroy them... honestly, they will be only eye-candy until the feature engine itself is fixed... soo I'll prolly release my features of buildings with the skins, 3do's and all the junk you need to stick them in the map over the weekend (pending arrival and functionality of my computer parts) :roll:
user

Post by user »

features have alot of problems, one of them, is that most units wont turn around to fire, they just try to fire trought the buildings, this doesnt happens to beam lasers.

and how do i make aircrafts collide with them?

the mouse over area seems to be smaller when using big hit density values.
user

Post by user »

and those buildings can take a few nukes before being destroyed(about 5 i think)
something is wrong there, i destroyed about 30 krogoths, all in the same place, and the buildings were still there, it seems that they can take about 50 nukes before being destroyed.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Eh, feel free to ignore me, <sarcasm>I obviously am not telling you these things to help or making things easier and my map has obviously been left incomplete because I am lazy. Whatever, I am obviously telling you lies.</sarcasm>
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

It depends on your hardware and random luck really.

You can put a billion features on a map and I'll run it fine while other gpu/cpu's melt.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Cause a 7600gtx isn't the most amazing card ever built.
user

Post by user »

maybe because they are not very detailed.

the bad thing on urban maps, is that aircraft wont collide with the buildings, and they will fly trought and try to shot trought them, and
cruise missiles will never hit the target, they collide with the buildings.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Gundam aircraft fly high enough that even my tall buildings are no match for them. Also, my buildings were 5 sided cubes. Poly count has nothing to do with it. Either way, do what you want, noone is listening to me and that is fine. I will just frown when I see a really shitty urban map and all the players are let down.

if you are going to do something do it right and not half assed.

I'd bother to discuss further but by and large you know everything so I have no use in this thread.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The problem of stuff colliding with buildings hasn't been addressed- that's going to require a CollideNeutral / AvoidNeutral tag for weapons, which I asked for nearly a month ago.

Otherwise, everything is now working pretty close to perfectly for city maps.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Couldn't the approach taken with the original treemap (that is, the buildings just mask an invincible piece of terrain in behind them) work for buildings? Obviously, you wouldn't be able to have skyscrapers, but a Paris-like city of midrise buildings should be doable, right? Then they'd have a near-proper collision box and planes wouldn't fly through them.

Return to “Map Creation”