TASClient (latest version available here) - Page 22

TASClient (latest version available here)

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Re: TASClient (latest version available here)

Post by Nemo »

Satirik: perhaps you should take a look at the SpringLobby source for ideas on how to shorten loadtimes on startup.

No joke - TASClient took about 5 minutes to load for me (even after a totally new spring install to a new dir). SpringLobby takes roughly 15 seconds. It rocks.
Jonanin

Post by Jonanin »

5 Minutes?!

Wow. On my computer it takes about... 15 seconds. And I have a bunch of maps and mods and junk in my Spring install.
aegis

Post by aegis »

the first time you ran it?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Nemo wrote:Satirik: perhaps you should take a look at the SpringLobby source for ideas on how to shorten loadtimes on startup.

No joke - TASClient took about 5 minutes to load for me (even after a totally new spring install to a new dir). SpringLobby takes roughly 15 seconds. It rocks.
5min is not normal except if it's the first time when it makes the minimap and map caching ... and the loading time is because it loads all the map so you can browse them using the "map list form" ... feature that spring lobby does not have

if it's not the first time, what step is it doing ? initialising unitsinc ? loading maps ? nothing ? freezing ?
Last edited by Satirik on 22 Jan 2008, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

LordMatt wrote:Thanks Satirik here are some bug reports on the moderation features:
*Get usernames by IP only reports the first username
*Everything else worked great :-)
mmmh it sounds weird ... did you get the good server msg in $local ?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Yeah that part worked fine. Maybe the box is too small to show the subsequent entries?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Satirik wrote:
Nemo wrote:Satirik: perhaps you should take a look at the SpringLobby source for ideas on how to shorten loadtimes on startup.

5min is not normal except if it's the first time when it makes the minimap and map caching ... and the loading time is because it loads all the map so you can browse them using the "map list form" ... feature that spring lobby does not have

if it's not the first time, what step is it doing ? initialising unitsinc ? loading maps ? nothing ? freezing ?

It freezes after reaching the normal window where you'd go to connect. The actual loading part takes a fairly reasonable amount of time. The issue comes after the loading screen goes away and it's just sitting there waiting for me to hit connect - but I can't, because suddenly my computer is bogged way way down. Thus, springlobby ftw.
tombom

Post by tombom »

Ctrl-Alt-Del>View>Select Columns>Virtual Memory Size

See how much TASClient is using. Before I did a totally clean reinstall it was 800mb.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

and i still have no idea why maybe because of the logs or something i don't know
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Nemo wrote:
Satirik wrote:

It freezes after reaching the normal window where you'd go to connect. The actual loading part takes a fairly reasonable amount of time. The issue comes after the loading screen goes away and it's just sitting there waiting for me to hit connect - but I can't, because suddenly my computer is bogged way way down. Thus, springlobby ftw.
did you check the option "check for new version" in Options -> Program ?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

make that disabled units list possible to scroll down when you arent host.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

TradeMark wrote:make that disabled units list possible to scroll down when you arent host.
done
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

thanks.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I get this error when I try to click okay for the get user names by IP message box. The first few times it doesn't do anything. Also, that function is really slow to display the names.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

LordMatt wrote:Also, that function is really slow to display the names.
That's tasserver.
aegis

Post by aegis »

maybe if it based things like user management on a SQL database...
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

LordMatt wrote:I get this error when I try to click okay for the get user names by IP message box. The first few times it doesn't do anything. Also, that function is really slow to display the names.
may be fixed now

edit : i remember you that the latest tasclient are not compatible with the previous ones (i mean b189 and before) you can't play with it
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

tombom wrote:Ctrl-Alt-Del>View>Select Columns>Virtual Memory Size
This is also known as commit size in Vista for anyone else running it.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Now you just have to click okay 10 times to get the box to close (but no error), and the function is much slower than the results are reported in $local.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i'll remove that msgbox

Return to “Engine”