OMGZOR CHRIS TAYLORZ

OMGZOR CHRIS TAYLORZ

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheBigPK

OMGZOR CHRIS TAYLORZ

Post by TheBigPK »

Demigod Revealed!
OH WOW DOTA, IN UBAR GAME FORM; THANX!

err my first reaction... phail. but theres hardly any news on it soooo...
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: OMGZOR CHRIS TAYLORZ

Post by Neddie »

How does I dog Blizzard and 3rd Party add-ons?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

DoTA
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

looks like shite

err, sorry, that was a typo. All hail the ChrisT!
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

The keys are like right next to each other.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

This can best be summed up as:

WTF?

Lol!

On the upcoming games front, Starcraft2 is my lord, and this:

http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page ... v=/us/6/8/

looking interesting, altough their games tend to look awesome at first but suck to play.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Looks kinda cool, to early to say.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Jesus christ am i the only one here who actually likes dota?
manored

Post by manored »

The game style sounds interesting, various characters with very diferent skills that must coperate to win...
kiki

Post by kiki »

The pictures of walking castles and various dinosaurs in stripper costumes lost a large part of my respect for chris taylor. Lets just hope that very nice gfx make up for the really weird characters? Creatures? Units? I am utterly confused. Maybe its bc I have never played dota.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

DotA is a really great game, hopefully they dont mess this one up as badly as supcom
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

Zpock wrote:This can best be summed up as:

WTF?

Lol!

On the upcoming games front, Starcraft2 is my lord, and this:

http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page ... v=/us/6/8/

looking interesting, altough their games tend to look awesome at first but suck to play.
agree.... I loved Rome and this looks awesome. Anyone played Pirates of the Caribbean on the xbox? it has little to nothing to do with the movies, seems like they just got the license to attract players (it was supposed to be a sequel to an established game). But theres really fun naval battles on it which would be awesome if TW does it right.
I2:Isaacment_Day

Post by I2:Isaacment_Day »

chris taylor is pretty much the definition of medocrity
Argh

Post by Argh »

ROFLMAO. One of the units is named "The Rook". And the art is like NanoBlobs meets High Fantasy- weird, goofy and yet there's something compelling there- like good ol' Rampage...

Dunno, it might not suck. Wish he'd give me money to make Freelancer II, though :P
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Supcom2 will be interesting. When you're at the bottom there's only one way to go.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Argh wrote:Freelancer II
THIS. You were pretty active in that mod scene, right, Argh? I barely touched the surface working on the SW mod.

That game was so close to being amazing... it still makes me angry when I think about the minor changes that would have made it SO WIN.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Zpock wrote:Supcom2 will be interesting. When you're at the bottom there's only one way to go.
You can still break through the floor...

I'm all excited about Sins of a Solar Empire.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I tried a beta of SOTS and was really dissapointed, altough who knows, maybe the retail delivers. I think it's really dull and depthless. The units are really boring. You build a bunch of this and that, send them into battle, see what happens, thats it. Not really any interesting tactics or anything you can do.

There was WC3 hero style capships that had some special abilities and really generic weapons, altough the special abilities didn't really seem to do much or anything interesting. You have a basic heal, some nuke, you can do 1-2 a battle and, that's it.

The small ships you have a "grunt", long range, and planetbombing type, nothing interesting. The middle size "cruiser" ships arn't impressive at all, they generally have no weapons and some really shitty ability that's neither interesting or have much effect. And a close range somewhat bigger cruiser is the only one with weapons. Feels kind of like a watered down version of warcraft2 with crappy wc3 heroes.

Every weapon feels like it's just substracting hp:s in the same way with different graphics and only slightly different ranges in rare cases. Yeah interesting, not.

The strategic part was also pretty boring I think, the research tree wasn't interesting at all, mostly like +2% armor, +1% resources or "unlock this ship", or 1more capship. Really linear and not much spectacular. You colonize planets and build up the 5/5 resource buildings, then a bunch of labs, no choices or important strategical implications. The early game is also really slow as hell, you'll sit there waiting for 5 minutes between building something.

All the races are supposedly as similar as in WC2 too, as far as I know.

To sum up, it all feels like your playing a mindless really slow spam game withouth much interesting tactics/strategy, that plays the same everytime.

It makes supreme commander look good. Look at this comment made on their boards:
come on, Supcom no mavor on worlddom with no resource increase and no speed increase is 4-5 x faster than any game I've played on sins.
lol
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

that sux, I was looking forward to it too =/. I found my Imperium Galactica 2 cd's a couple weeks ago and reminisced the old 4x games. Just got done beating homeworld 2 again... storyline blew but the game is awesome. I really wish there were more space sim games or even one that utilized the possibilities of the genre to a fuller extent. At least EVE online exists... but it's boring as all hell too.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I think they might have improvements coming on the strategical, or 4x part of sins tough so it's still worth checking out after release. Altough I'm really not a huge fan of space 4x that lack proper ship designing/customization, and there's no way that's coming.

Watch the "with commentary" video, the designer explains how he looks down on "clicking fast and wants to think instead". So why they didn't make a normal turn based 4x with this attitude is beyond me. It explains why the "RTS" sucks. Basically they combined RTS and 4x but ripped out all the stuff that makes either one good, justifying it by thinking that it's impossible to pull off a full blown realtime 4x, which I personally think is stupid.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/775/77524 ... Sid=836104

Funny ideas like, "this is great so that if I'm having some huge battle, and someone sneaks up on me somewhere else in the meantime, it doesn't matter!"

Yay congratz you managed to supress actually using interesting strategies, such as diversions, how splendid! I mean we can't have better players taking advantage by being faster, oh noes! Lets make all the gameplay so that it doesn't really matter what the player does!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”