Arne's Core Air Force - Some Models

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Treeform

Post by Treeform »

This is based on Arne's concepts:
Any mod like CA wants to use them?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: Arne's Core Air Force - Some Models

Post by Saktoth »

Looks like the textures need work, but we might be able to adapt them, yes.

Ill talk with our concept artist about it (When i say 'our concept artist' i mean 'my brother).
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Wireframes?
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

Id say about 300 tri per thing.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Do they drop powerups when destroyed?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Those would be nice, with decent skins.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I like the current skins, I simply think some additional detail in the textures, perhaps some small widgets, could bring out additional flavour.
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

one consideration about skins is that they should be easily reproducible because well there is alot of them. Second consideration is that this is printed with a nanolaze it should be just a blob of metal in the most effecent form.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

very nice, but i was under the impression that the white areas on the aircraft where holes or gaps thru the structure.. just anther way of looking at it i suppose. but once again very nice :-)
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

we need arne to come down and tell us what they are :)
kiki

Post by kiki »

Imo they are rather flat, and could use a little bit more dimension.
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

I don't like thick planes, they tend to fly bad too. I made them thin on purpose to still have some hint aerodynamics there.
kiki

Post by kiki »

hmmmmmm ok :).

I just thing that the future of aircraft != thin, but rather lifting body type craft, but meh, nobody cares its a fantasy world.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

i really like that construction unit, is that an aircraft or a hover craft like ship?
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I just realized how much those planes remind me of Tyrian.
clumsy_culhane

Post by clumsy_culhane »

nice models, not too sure about the texturing. It would be great to have these in CA. Keep up the good work!
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

The texture layout is good, but it was a bad idea to just photoskin the concept art directly.

What needs to be done is just using the concepts as a reference, clean it up and redo the textures in higher res.

Models look good & clean overall, cockpit areas seem to be lacking a bit, and some of the definition around the engines could be more accentuated (height differences, or rounder ect..), keep it up.
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

thanks i am still learning. I really liked the color and the gradients of his concept art - that is why i did not want to redo the entire thing. I did not just plaster his texture over my models but redrew it but tried to stay to the original color scheme. Unfortunately unlike tanks or buildings planes zip by fast and you will not be able to see my texture work not matter how good i do it - but its still not excuse to do them right. I choice the "metallic plates" style can't really argue over what i choice but how i executed it. How should i improve textures staying with in this type of style?

bobthedinosaur, yes it the con but i think it supposed to be an air unit but it looks like a hover craft the way i modeled it - i still not sure how to go about it
Argh

Post by Argh »

I did not just plaster his texture over my models but redrew it but tried to stay to the original color scheme.
They looked photomapped to me, too.

You need to start over again, using clean edges and sharper line-work, with more greebling and nice, straight lines. If you haven't planar-mapped the flat surfaces, you should do so, instead of ending up with wobbly lines. These are very flat models, that should be OK for most areas, aside from the engines and "pods", which need to be unfolded. Planar maps are there for a reason ;)

You're working from tiny concept sketches- other than general areas of color, there isn't any reason to take them literally. I'd like to see a lot more attention to functional details.

Also, if you're going to keep the really thick blacklining, then it needs to serve some sort of real purpose, imo. Use a bevel to suggest it's a raised sectional edge, or something...

[EDIT] now that I've looked at your painting... meh... you need to learn how to keep your painting cleaned up... no wonder you cannot keep your lines straight, you can't see where an object ends or begins very well. Here is what one of my maps looks like:

Basically, I take all shapes on the uvmap, select them, expand the selection by 3 pixels, then make a layer via Cut... it helps tremendously, if you know where your objects are, and their real shapes, at all times. If you need to know the exact positions of the polygons, then you just use a semitransparent set of lines using Inverse as a layer on top of everything else. Much easier than painting like you did, with sloppy airbrushing everywhere, and you never accidentally paint what you don't want to, if you use Magic Wand to keep your selections clean.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Wasted space is wasted. O_O

You'd have to have the texture be 2-3x the size it should be to get the same level of quality...

Return to “Art & Modelling”