Is it me or...

Is it me or...

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Snipawolf

Is it me or...

Post by Snipawolf »

Does the new Wings UI phail?

Render buttons on the opposite side, you know, right where your uvmapping screen or your outliner is...

Redo and undo in button form? Blasphemy, too slow anyways.

Saving and opening buttons as well? Jesus, use moar hotkeys.

The little guiding directional thing in the bottom left isn't helpful either...
Maelstrom

Re: Is it me or...

Post by Maelstrom »

You can still use all the old hotkeys and what not, nothing has changed there. All they have done is add some buttons to the bar up top, which can be disabled anyways, hiding away all the new buttons. The little thing in the corner is useful, for instance if your working away in the insides of a model and cant see the grid/guide lines at the origin. Stops you from getting lost and what not.

All they have really done is add in some buttons that can be disabled anyway, what is the problem?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

These features were there for quite some time, there just was no official release

You may want to hit CTRL+V a couple of times for some lulz... unless you bound it to something else.
kiki

Post by kiki »

blender
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

blender
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah blender does have a fail ui.
kiki

Post by kiki »

smoth wrote:yeah blender does have a superior ui.
Corrected
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

truespace 3.2 > your silly sauce
smoth

Post by smoth »

kiki wrote:
smoth wrote:yeah blender does have a bad ui.
Corrected
kiki

Post by kiki »

Peet wrote:truespace 3.2 > your awesome modeling program
Oooo looks interesting. Multiplatform? Opensource?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

kiki wrote:
Peet wrote:truespace 3.2 > your awesome modeling program
Oooo looks interesting. Multiplatform? Opensource?
If you hadn't modified the quote to be filled with blather you'd have figured out that it is neither. It is also about 8 years old :P
kiki

Post by kiki »

I am not an idiot. I am also unable to locate the proper syntax for sarcasm.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Doesn't the latter exclude the former?
kiki

Post by kiki »

of course not
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

It's funny how after learning kind of how blender works, then discovering how amazing wings is in its glorious simplicity, then later going back to do some stuff in blender that can't be done in wings (the light projection render baking thing) I discover that I have no idea how basic things like selecting and deselecting polygons, vertices or whatever works and have to painfully read up in manuals how to do that again, lol.

Blender selling point is that they have this amazing complicated multiple levels (ctrl-shift-A-l-spacebar-alt-F9) hotkey system for you to spend ages to learn to do anything and a click interface your supposed to ignore. While in wings you just press Insert-hotkey while hovering over whatever command to setup your own hotkeys easily for the stuff you need as needed. WIN.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Baking taught me some stuff... you need to import rounded and hard model parts seperately in order to put different subsurf modifiers on them. This takes some time cutting them up in wings as well as deleting the new "inner" UV areas as well as UV which share space. This greatly improves AO bakes.

However it takes AGES to setup a model properly. What I do within a minute in wings needs 10+ minutes in blender since I fuck up every so often. Ctrl+X is your best friend. :P

I wish they'd improve the UV mapper in wings and get some light baking done. All it can do is bake noise/clouds and a couple of other useless things.
kiki

Post by kiki »

To use blender you have to be willing to practice. Im no expert yet, but people like tree have obviously mastered the software. Once you master it, its much more powerful. Its like gimp vs. mslolpaint
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I don't see how spending ages to learn a muppet interface will help you in the end. It's BS that the blender interface is more efficient once you learn it, then for example wings with well setup hotkeys (use insert key). Blender has some interesting features that you might want to use tough, altough it lacks others as well.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

kiki wrote:Its like gimp vs. mslolpaint
fail comparison. if we were talking blender vs something horrid like milkshape, that would be a fair example. wings is an easy-to-use modeler that doesnt take long to figure out, even without any tutorials. in blender on the other hand... i cant even figure out how to select things ;_;
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The adding of buttons that help new users learn to use a product does not increase the fail of a UI. Hotkeys are all fine and dandy, but if they only way to learn them is tutorials you have a problem called bad software design.

Return to “Art & Modelling”