The Official Lego Spring Mod Dev Forum Page Item Goal Thing! - Page 2

The Official Lego Spring Mod Dev Forum Page Item Goal Thing!

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Im setting Up a gmail account that everyone can send their models/codes to.

lego.spring@gmail.com
password=legospring
Last edited by Sheekel on 31 Aug 2006, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Benito

Post by Benito »

Er, simply by posting an e-mail address and password you are inviting all the automatic web trawling spam address bot thingies that have no notion of "Spring" or "Hate" to find your address and (ab)use it. My advice would be to only give this out to those that offer help, not left it be a free-for-all.

For those that don't want to have to use MLCAD, there's an alternative in LeoCAD.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

For some inspiration:
http://www.blockland.us

Once the new model/unit format is in place, I'll be glad to help 8)
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

I tried out the MLCAD program and this is what i came up with in half an hour. How do i export models to be rendered in Pov-Ray?

http://img348.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plane0qv.png
TA 3D

How to convert?

Post by TA 3D »

Get L3p and install it. Then get L3pao and install it(configure the paths for L3pao). Run L3pao and set up your scene using your ldr file, then click okay and it does all the converting. Note: LGEO libray is only a few parts. They are different then the rest of the bricks(it replaces the standared bick with the LGEO brick if you have it). Use if you only want it!!!(YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE LGEO LIBRAY!). Oh and don't forget Pov-ray.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Pov-ray doesnt seem to work. When i finish running L3P and open the file, i get errors that say "empty file name after /RENDER" followed by "only /EDIT and /RENDER may be passed to previous instance" (whatever the hell that means) and then i just get an empty file. HELP!

Also, there seems to be a very high poly-count for these models. Can the MLCAD models actually be used, or are they just for eye-candy. Any ideas for reducing poly count?

Here's a basic aircraft factory

it sucks
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

If you had a texture for the lego bumps instead of 3d rendering them, it would have a much smaller poly count.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

WOW :shock: !

I think i missed ALOT while i was gone O.o!

Hold on, im gonna get my jaw... i think it's at the bottom floor...

Anyway, VERY cool models! one problem thou...

They are TO good!

Those models will lag any game to peices with sugar ontop!!!
Try to make pretty low poly models? Good models good, but that will make more computers crash more then... all the viruses and spam in world!

Now, since noone really given any ideas, here i come with some.

TEAM LEGO

Starts with: Level 1 lego builders. 5 of em.

Level 1 lego builder
Basic builder, builds pretty slow, but can use sevral of them to speed it upp. Can build alone to, but much less effective. *shuld they have a gun?*

Level 1 Gunman ( The uber cool render from TA 3D)
Basic lego grunt, with a medium assualt rifle. Can climb most hiegths like most lego ''men''

Level 1 gunman (laser edition) (Ta 3d, aging, cool)
With a fast shooting laser. Hits very ofen, pretty good as AA.

Level 1 missileman (needs anoter name)
Slower the a gunman, and lower reload time. Effective agsint veichels.

Level 1 Jeep (as seen as the uber cool model bye TA 3D)
A pretty fast level one jeep, with the driver inside.

Level 1 lego ''bot''
A andreoid, with much lower reaction time and aim time, but more hp and damage.
(i got more, but ill leave the level 1 lego side there.)¨

Level 2 swimmerman
A lego dude that can swim. Swims ontop of water, maybe some cloaking?

Level 2 Kamakazieman
Trained to be crazy. YELLS when moved.

Level 2 Special tank
A tank that has 1 barrel, and 2 lego gunmen sitting in 2 places in it.

Level 2 BFB (big f***** bot)
Think huge. Think krogoth. Now think lego. Now mix. Now smile:p

(Okay, these are the ''bigger''' ideas i found, so we stil need lotsa ''men's'', androids, veichels, ships, aircrafts, hover(?) and overall cool units to come upp with.)

Knex side

Level 1 knex build machine
Faster at building (compared to level 1 build for lego side) and has wepon (powerfull?) but slower to move and turn.

Level 1 knex Defender
built for defence. Slow, but longrange and powerfull. Lotsa hp.

(aculy, i dont have any ideas for the knex side)

The overall sides of it should be disused to. I think that the lego side should be spammyer, with more induadual units who builds faster then the knex side. And if the knex side dosent seam fun, we could have 2 lego sides...

IDEAS WE NEED!
And im talking about complied ideas like that ^! Plese!, if we just make units, we will just have madness! madnes i tell ya!
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

im going on vacation in canada so i will be gone until late august. Sorry :(
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

Ok, here is the basic lego infantry man. He has 2 guns, but could easily have 1 gun. I just thought that 2 looked cooler :P. I think that TA 3D's render would work better for the laser infantry or the missle infantry. Mine is more of a basic grunt.

Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Well, i converted some models into LWO and opened them in 3DO builder. VERY HIGH POLYGON COUNT. this will be a major hurdle in this project. Just this one basic piece shown below is 140 polygons! I realized that almost 75% of the polys are in the lego "connecting bumps" (the little cylinders). Without those, the piece is only about 30 polygons. We want 30 poly units, not 30 poly pieces! Any ideas/solutions?

all the faces are inverted....crap
Delta

Post by Delta »

only use the "lego programs" for ideas/designs and use some other program to actually build the unit.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

but the lego program units look soooo good :(
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Just a suggestion... if you leave out the suds and fake with a texture that should be fine, that or square studs... but the whole in teh bottom must be there, textureing that would suck!

It would probablie then be a good idea for someone to make a load of the basic peices, so everyone can use them, and them custome peices they will have to make themselves.

Personly I prefered it when it was models made with lego bricks and not useing to many fancy peices... The blocky moddels make it lego. Other wise it becomes "Star Wras Lego Style" (which addmitadly is a rocking good game) and that does not seem right for mass Lego Destruction.

Or is that just me?

aGorm
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Well, i converted some models into LWO and opened them in 3DO builder. VERY HIGH POLYGON COUNT. this will be a major hurdle in this project. Just this one basic piece shown below is 140 polygons! I realized that almost 75% of the polys are in the lego "connecting bumps" (the little cylinders). Without those, the piece is only about 30 polygons. We want 30 poly units, not 30 poly pieces! Any ideas/solutions?
either go into another 3d modeling program and delete them peice bye piece...

or have ''flat'' peices all over the units. Those with no cylinders at the top.

Or a combination of both.

Lindir, i think the guns look a litte to old fanshiod for a game placed in the future (or al least in the modern future).
TA 3D

Post by TA 3D »

Get L3p and install it. Then get L3pao and install it(configure the paths for L3pao). Run L3pao and set up your scene using your ldr file, then click okay and it does all the converting. Note: LGEO libray is only a few parts. They are different then the rest of the bricks(it replaces the standared bick with the LGEO brick if you have it). Use if you only want it!!!(YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE LGEO LIBRAY!). Oh and don't forget Pov-ray.

First! Don't use L3p for making the pov-ray file or you will have to deal with a ms-dos based program. Second! Use L3PAO(graphical front end that controls L3p) to make the file using the options it gives you. DON'T FORGET TO CONFIGURE ALL YOUR PATHS!!!! And lastly! Don't use the LGEO libray unless you have it installed or pov-ray will spit out errors.
Azure Skye

Post by Azure Skye »

I can help you with K'nex ideas and physical models... (I have soooo many laying around...)

I have several figure dudes... a giant space ship and a tank amongst other things...

-Azure Skye
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

im going on vacation in ontario for 3 weeks, so ill be back around end of august. Keep it up. here's a last-minute render (i finally figured out pov-ray) of a lvl 1 vehicle. And agorm, im totally with you on the block-ey units. It would be so much better. Right now i'm just getting used to the program and drooling over i-candy (note avatar)

TA 3D

Simple solution

Post by TA 3D »

Well a coulpe days ago I opened up 3do builder and started making some "basic bricks". Through these are only for testing purposes, as seeing I would have to go back and design them to their proper size. But anyways I am making a test building to figure out the destruction part of the script. See in the final part of the cob scripts, it lists the explosions due to severity of death. The way I see it is that the first option(usally), that of parts flying apart in all directions is the way to go. For example: A vehicle=

If killed by "Light weapons fire" I.E. small lasers, light cannons/machineguns/rifles, small rockets/missiles/rpg/law, gernades/mortors, anti-infintry mines, light artilery; The unit would only lose a couple peices that "fall off or fly off only a short distance."

If killed by "Meduim weapons fire" I.E. meduim lasers, meduim cannons/heavy machineguns/rifles, meduim rockets/missiles/anti-tank, meduim gernades/mortors, meduim artilery, small anti-apc mines, light bombs, light tornpiedos; The unit would only lose a few more peices that "fall off or fly off only a short distance."

If killed by "Heavy weapons fire" I.E. Heavy lasers, Heavy cannons/ultra machineguns/autocannons, heavy rockets/missiles/anti-armor missiles, vehicle mines, heavy Artilery, armor-percing weapons, small ballistick missiles/heavy bombs, heavy tornpiedos; The unit would lose a large amount of peices that "fall off or fly off a meduim distance."

If killed by "Ultra/Experimental weapons fire" I.E. Superlasers(I.E. BLOD, anthing you can think of), super cannons/ultra-autocannons, ICBM's, nuculear missiles, nuculear mines, atomic/Hydragin bombs, "Devestator weapons", long rang ultra cannons/artilery, experimental tycon weapons, ect..; The unit would go from eather almost complete disintergration, to complete "OBLITERATION", "with the units peices not being able to be found."

Later we can work on unit damage it the scripts.
FireCrack

Re: Simple solution

Post by FireCrack »

TA 3D wrote:The unit would go from eather almost complete disintergration, to complete "OBLITERATION",

You should've used Toatal Anhialation instead of Complete Obliteration, not only would it be "context sensitive" but Anhialation is a more complete state of destruction than obliteration...

Return to “Game Development”