TA:WD - Page 46

TA:WD

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Poll of the week: Should NATO and Mospact be devided into seperate countries?

Poll ended at 14 Jul 2006, 20:26

Yes, let's have 20.000 different races and a million units!
7%
Yes, but only split the up in factions like US and Canada, UK and Germany, etc.
56%
No! the sides need to say Binary! keep as it is.
14%
No, just make seperate factories for Bombers, Fighters and Helicopters.
9%
Yes, give the player a choice what country to play in game.
14%

Total votes: 43

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Even cruise missiles could still wipe an entire base. Something like a static rocket artillery system makes more sense, basically a nuke over time.
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

Well, everything is scaled down in spring, so we need a scaled down super weapon. One of the problems with the mod is games are either very short or very very long, there needs to be a tie breaker that takes a long time to make. Even conventional high-yield weapons would be ok, just something to break a tie.

Also, airplanes need limited munitions and longer ranges. Im not sure how to do this, maybe each plane should have a build screen and can only hold one payload at a time, this would also allow for a diverse payload
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Why is there a need to super weapons at all?

current Artillery like the MRLS etc have such long ranges they can smash bases pretty convincingly
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

Cause its too easy to kill MRLS with a few attack aircraft that cost nothing. Rolling those MRLS across a huge map, finally getting there, and then blown up with 2 or 3 light strike aircraft even though you have heavy air cover is pointless
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

The point of an MLRS is to scoot and shoot. Perhaps it just needs to be rethought out how it should/could work to be more super?
Totbuae

Post by Totbuae »

WD just plain pwns. I used to play the one that was released for OTA a couple of years ago, addicting stuff. This one is even better, if that's at all possible.

That being said, could the word "equipted" in infantry descriptions be changed to "equipped"? I know it's just a trivial thing but that should make it all the easier to change.

I apologize if I'm just being a stick in the mud... keep up the excellent work.

Edit:

Went ahead and did it myself. These are from V5B651. I'll be glad to help if you ever need to do search and replace on a large amount of text distributed among several files (it's really easy with PowerGREP).

infantry fbi's with "equipted" changed to "equipped", compressed into units.7z
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

You people are going at this in the wrong direction.. if we are going real world we dont need to worry about how to destroy bases, because bases dont exist in the real world.. Militaries do not go around into every little piddley area of ground they fight on and build a large sprawling complex of buildings for producing crap.. At best a field base would be about 2-3 tents and such mostly a headquarters and C&C area.. everything else pretty moot.. Fixed defences havent been seriously used since ww2..

Id suggest this mod borrow a World In Conflict style of setup perhaps with a small base setup and change mexs to outposts or something that give requisition or some such instead of metal cause it would go farther with the realism.. either that or look at what s44 is doing..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

HyperNut wrote:Also, airplanes need limited munitions and longer ranges. Im not sure how to do this, maybe each plane should have a build screen and can only hold one payload at a time, this would also allow for a diverse payload
I don't know what you mean with build screen (a payload menu?) but there's a fuel system and Lua, if you combine those it's damn easy to get the effect. You could even go without Lua if you don't want variable payloads, just use COB to force fuel to 0 once the ammo runs out (that makes the plane return to base immediately). That's what I did in Fibre, makes sure the amount of ammo remains constant no matter how far the plane flies (though it doesn't really matter if you have only one shot, can as well use weapon fuel use then)
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

The most "base" you'd get in a real world conflict is like Fanger said simply prefabbed, mobile structures; you'd have a unit's supply vehicles create ammo and fuel caches in various secure locations (ie they'd roll into a park and be like "Hey, this here park looks like a good place to dump our shit" and basically you'd mainly have piles of crap around with some trucks and maybe barbed wire/fencing to defend against sneaky saboteurs. You'd have command staff with their radio and computer equipment organized in several tents and mobile command vehicles with satallite and communication uplinks and what-have-you. There might be an area requisitioned for helicopter landing for liason and re-enforcements, you'd have a vehicle embarkation point or some such, and that's about it. None of this "omfg lets build a factory here in 5 minutes and start building tanks from sand and trees and crap sucked from the ground".

This sort of realism is hard to do with Spring's engine. The closest you could get is a system where re-enforcements "appear" at the edge of the map, and the only structures would be supply stockpiles and small observation points and machinegun emplacements made out of sandbags.. artillery wouldn't even play a part except some sort of off-map bombardment, aircraft too... actually, with LUA I bet all of this is completely possible...

*cogs start moving*
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Don't start thinking that way for S44.

Though paratroopers and gliders should work that way.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

And that sort of base would be annihilated by a single MLRS salvo..

I think we definately could lua that crap in..

I however took the easy route and went futuristic which means I can just say dropships did it..
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

Call metal oil, make the metal bar into a cash bar, instead of factories call them depots. Don't have to change how they work, just what they are called.
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

I think that the first goal should be to stabilize and balance WD as it is now. Taking on some gigantic overhaul where you change the underlying mechanics feels like something that would just end up not being finished, which would result in the mod stagnating totally.
I vote for going on a little by little approach. Add navies for example.

Hmm, maybe I'm just a bit scared the mod will change too much though, because I really really like WD as it is now. Been playing it since the OTA days, and I say it blows everything else away when it comes to depicting modern warfare in an RTS.

This thing...
http://springwd.hairminator.com/mamba.html
...evolved during a game. Just wanted to take some screenshots in order to show WD to a friend, but it turned into a little story. Consider it my (very) modest WD tribute :)
HyperNut

Post by HyperNut »

An autohost would be awesome too
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

I got an error while loading the mod on Spring_0.75b2+svn5031:

[string "gamedata/defs.lua"]:37:[string "gamedata/defs.lua]:25: error = 2, gamedata/armorDefs.lua, [string "gamedata/armordefs.lua"]:19:Error parsing armor.txt: Bad TDF text at line 410
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

that means on line 410 spring didnt like something in teh armor.txt
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

An autohost would be awesome too
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is that?
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

A host in the multiplayer lobby that is basicly an empty server that people can join and play at any time, rather than having to host themselves. Like the clan servers you see for UT and HL2 mods.
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

Ah, I see. Thanks!

(And yes, I concur, such a device would be favourable)
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

HildemarDasce wrote:various stuff
Is that avatar from Subterrania? :shock:

Return to “Game Development”