Art request: Scar marks - Page 3

Art request: Scar marks

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

SJ

Post by SJ »

I checked in the scar code and textures to the cvs but someone will have to create a new set of textures that has equal size and fit to the craters.

The map will be able to control the coloring of the scars in future versions but only if they are not all black since the map defined color is multiplied with the brightness (red) of the scar texture.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Neuralizes look too splodgy, as if they're concentrated bangs with glass walls around them to stop them getting out any further. weavers latest looks too circular too.

hmm perhaps I should make one of my own if I have the time.
Delta

Post by Delta »

Weavers first is definately the best one imo.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

For those that wanted radials.

And the bmphttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Splat12.bmp
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

nooo, it looks too circular, you can even draw a perimetre exactly, it looks to uniform and not messy enough, thats not how explosions happen. It just looks like the glass barriers been lifted a tiny litle bit in some places.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

I dont see what your problem is.
It HAS to have a "glass wall" because it better should represent the crater that spring creates, which is circular. So at least the parts inside the crater radius have to be somewhat symetric.

Having a asymetric scar inside a circular crater would look much worse.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yes I was talkign as if the blast happened inside a glass tube, see how it just stops after a while with a few odd bits going out, it just looks wierd. Look at the ones from the moon that where posted earlier.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Doomweaver wrote:I really like Weaver's. By the way, the first dune book was awsome, agreed, but the rest of the series sucks.
That is true. Frank Herbert went really crazy :cry:

Also that crater looks soo cool. Ground scarring make's the crater's look 10 x time's better.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

What you ignore is that those moon scars being 100s of km big. They arent representable for explosion scarring.

Your "tube of glass" is the crater wall! Inside the crater, everything needs to be scared (because else, obviously there wouldnt BE a creater at that place), but beyond the wall of the crater there is only sporadic debris.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I know, but not all craters are deep, and explosions can create scaring without craters.

What about craters that're more like broken ground, in pieces, crushed etc.....
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Well, then there should be 2 kinds of scar images...
one type for "deep" craters (like berta impact, nuclear mine, ect) and one type for "shallow" scarring (nuke, commander explosion, wide area- low damage mine)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

And sometimes damage on the scale of a nuke can be done to the ground without a crater forming. Maybe the mapmaker wants to make ones map out of adamantium for example?

And somethign along the lines of a smear mark for fire or those explosions where they jeer off to one side such as midair aircraft explosions.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

These were my first attempts using ink pellets onto a hard surface. Are the edges indistict enough? I think I still have hi res versions. Or should I do one with a center spot as before with radials of more random length avoiding any "tide mark".
Delta

Post by Delta »

Those are very good for "shallow" scars, where there aren't much ground deformation. (Hence no steep crater walls to create the roundness of the scar)
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Have you seen that scars are draw on the water too. It look strange ;)
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Unfortunately splat1 was lost in a freak tidying incident but be now have spat13 and splat14 (hires splat1) which have less of an obvious edge to them. Made with large shallow craters in mind. Although they look different here their common ancestry may be quite obvious ingame so we may have to choose one or the other.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Splat13.bmp
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Splat14.bmp
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Torrasque wrote:Have you seen that scars are draw on the water too. It look strange ;)
I don't know if a blur is possible below the water line that would probably fix the look. May reduce the alpha a bit too.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

A propos impact in water...
Different sounds for shells hitting water would be nice... it sounds so wrong hearing that sharp crack of bertas or immolators when hitting water...

(the über-l33tness would be dynamic waves :D )
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The sound can just be muffled and a splash sound added.
IMSabbel

An idea....

Post by IMSabbel »

Currently, scar marks fade away very slowly... ( i dont know how slow, but its slow enough for me to never actually notice the fading...)

Would it be possible to fade between 2 scar textures?
For example, that after some _serious_ explosion (com-blast, nuke) the ground would glow in the beginning and then the glow would fade away to reveal the scar...

Return to “Art & Modelling”