CA Campaign (Announcement Thread) [Closed] - Page 2

CA Campaign (Announcement Thread) [Closed]

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Complicated

Post by Complicated »

So far, we've decided on a few posts

Mission Coder and Writer
Lohengrin

Lua Coder and Editor
Quantum

Map Creator and Coder
Cronos

Start Menus and Installer
Licho

Mission Introduction Voice
Ianmac

Testers will be announced shortly when we find some but they won't be needed for a while.

Join the #cac channel to ask, help, suggest, and not annoy :D

At the moment, I'm going to work on sample Missions to flex my knowledge of the campaign mission with a few UF maps.

However testing will only work with one mod.

We will also need mutators with each having different buildlists for each/some of the levels. That way some units can be disabled so it forces you to learn that tier tree and tier level.

Hopefully before this is done, we will have the music added by then. :D
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I can do other voices if needed.
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Thanks Neddie, I'll keep you posted.

Still well in the analysis stage :D
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

The plan thus far;

[1] Gathering resources, ideas, team and analysising known problems
[2] begin designing a prototype (the demo)
[3] releasing the demo to testers after completion with UF maps for each mission (three missions per side)
[4] Analyse any problems and fix the demo and re-release demo to testers
[5] Repeat step 2-4 (unless problems resolved)
[6] Release to community
[7] Begin Designing *Missions 1-5* ARM/CORE
[8] Begin Voice Introduction and Mapping.
[9] Begin Mission Start up Development
[10] Test with Testers, and Analyse Problems if any
[11] Repeat Steps 7 - 11 for missions 6-10, 11-15 then go to step 12
[12] Write Lua interface
[13] Test Lua
[14] Impliment extras
[15] Announce possible release and set out trailer
[16] Repeat Steps 7 - 11 for missions 16-25 then go to step 17
[17] Release to testers
[18] Evaluate and finalize
[19] Set out final release date
[20] Release to community

The whole Campaign, 25 missions for ARM, 25 missions for CORE is to fully exploit the Game Engine, Mod and Units to the user, showing each units role and purpose giving some experience in player. Teaching the uses of Kbots, Vehicles, Air, Sea, Amphibious, and Hovercraft.

This will involve teaching to spam quickly, early rush, airdrop tactics, avoiding defences, microing, ecomony, working around eco problems, solutionizing from losing to winning and so on.

Each mission you will be limited to certain units, like you can only use kbots on one mission, or can't use air and so on.

Our Aim-date isn't decided but hopefully it will be ready before Easter.

Full work on the Campaign will not begin until the Completion of the next CA beta which this will be based on.

AI? No AI, and don't worry I'll be smart at creating the missions, and make sure every precaution is taken, like if the enemy base is being attacked, I'll make sure it stop you. :]

Future: CA will undoubtly release newer betas and we will create expansions for them.
DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

a CA campaign?cool idea.
Problems i forsee:
do not make any statments as to what unit is better to what in ur missions.
You must let the player decide forhimslef what each unit does.why?because ca is always changing by the time some guy is gonna play this campaign in a few months ca might have changed dramaticlly.

again its very hard to make a full campaign for a mod/game is is constantly changing in unit stats in unit veriaty and in other content.

so i suggest that if u want to make a good campaign dont emphesize different unit usage..if you want to teach new players how to play focus on general gameplay and strategy desgin,usefull and used key shortcuts and so on... dont emphesize too much different roles of units...like dont make missions where u need to use one unit to counter another unit..

By the way,the best of luck to your team it would be really coo l to have a single player.and i really dont think its hard to make it very chanlenging since u can sript events and attacks..
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

DZHIBRISH wrote: again its very hard to make a full campaign for a mod/game is is constantly changing in unit stats in unit veriaty and in other content.
Yeah how is that going to work?
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

He made it quite clear that it will only work with one version (a more stable one) of CA and that he might adapt them for future betas..
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Glad to see someone reads properly.

And reason to limitting to specific units is to show them how to specifically initialize each unit role. Learning the units is a key to the mod.

There is also learning to econ, generate adequete income, create units.
Since playing CA, I'm far more aggressive than I have ever been, I have been able to claim most of the map, when ever in a suited position, rarely ever have to tech up even against tier 2. Only ever once built a bertha, to counter act several other berthas.

Learning to get around tight spots is going to be taught, you do not have the luxary when under heavy siege by tanks to change tier tree from kbots to tanks. So there you go.

I've learned how to beat a spam of flash and stumpies with one kbot and nanolathe alone developing units and overrun a base within a couple of minutes taking out an advancing army.
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

The plan should be:
[1]Make a list of things you plan to do
[2]Make more lists
[3]???
[4]Dead project
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Complicated you should keep in mind that many players that need to play the campaign will be new to spring. You don't want the difficulty to increase dramatically or they may give up.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Make one mission per side first. If that works, do a short campaign.

Please. I'd really like to see a single player mission, but if you plan to do more missions than commercial games ship with it just isn't realistic.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

If this is decent when it's done I'll add a DL link on our homepage DL section.
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

It will follow a storyline.

Storyline is about to be written and as I said we're releasing a demo.

As for being too hard and give up, I will also input a choice to have the missions in three settings

Setting easy - Non-agressive AI/Non-building
Setting Medium - Aggressive but non-defendent
Setting Hard - Aggressive, Defensive and Spammage

Will that satisify you?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

I'd like to see tutorial microchallenges - e.g. kill a gollie with one flash from behind, kill a gollie with 2/3 flashes from front, kill a llt that's powered by a solar somewhere, etc. IMHO this would have a lot of educational value.

(I even wanted to do something like this, but then uni came and stole all my free time.)
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

imbaczek wrote:I'd like to see tutorial microchallenges - e.g. kill a gollie with one flash from behind, kill a gollie with 2/3 flashes from front, kill a llt that's powered by a solar somewhere, etc. IMHO this would have a lot of educational value.

(I even wanted to do something like this, but then uni came and stole all my free time.)
Umm this campaign is generally a huge storyline and Flash would lose in seconds, as it is that Goliaths are equipped with flame throwers.

Then again, mini-games will be added in the expansion? :]
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Close me :]

Return to “Game Development”