Spring project name problem

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Masure

Post by Masure »

As spring is a common name used for several things, when you type spring in search engine, it's hard to find spring project related results.

TA Spring gives better results but there is the will to unbind Total Annihilation from Spring so that Spring can't be called TA Spring anymore.

It would be great to have a pretty unique name for the spring project.

I don't criticize the "Spring" name in this topic, just the fact it's too common.

Discuss
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Spring project name problem

Post by CarRepairer »

Masure wrote:As spring is a common name used for several things, when you type spring in search engine, it's hard to find spring project related results.

TA Spring gives better results but there is the will to unbind Total Annihilation from Spring so that Spring can't be called TA Spring anymore.

It would be great to have a pretty unique name for the spring project.

I don't criticize the "Spring" name in this topic, just the fact it's too common.

Discuss
I was about to suggest "Fall" but then I thought about it for a half hour and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work. :|
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

SpringRTS

Could work.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Otherside

Post by Otherside »

smoth got on the front page zomg :O
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Unix project name is currently "springproject" isn't it?
Masure

Post by Masure »

Peet wrote:Image
We all know if you use some clever keywords you're gonna have good results (spring rts, spring ta, ...).

I was pointing that the name itself is not enough alone and is missleading. If you type "spring game" in, the first page gives only one spring related result.

But google results are not the matter, it just would be great the project name leads flawlessly to the project in the minds.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

hmm I havent removed the border on this install yet but:

Masure

Post by Masure »

Masure wrote:We all know if you use some clever keywords you're gonna have good results (spring rts, spring ta, ...).

I was pointing that the name itself is not enough alone and is missleading. If you type "spring game" in, the first page gives only one spring related result.

But google results are not the matter, it just would be great the project name leads flawlessly to the project in the minds.
Auto quoting myself cause you re doing the same thing as peet but you don't seem to read the replies.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Sometimes in life, someone makes a point and you nullify that point, but they refuse to accept it, and instead make a mountain out of a molehill. Although ignorance is bliss, this isn't an argument and shouldn't be treated as such.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I don't think it's beneficial enough having a name so obscure it can toppage on single word google searches to warrant the effort of changing the spring name in every known reference we use it in.

If someone searches "spring" and they are confused by the fact that they come up with hits for the season and object, and they can't figure out how to narrow the search to more closely get the hit they are looking for, chances are they won't be able to figure out the installer anyways.

"Spring Game" gives us the top result and gives our wikipedia page the second hit. You can't ask for better than that.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Having a slightly obscure name means people are more likely stumble over it when searching for something else. A small percentage of these people turn into spring players.
lurker

Post by lurker »

If that's what you're going for, don't you think more people will be pulled in by a more common search such as 'spring', where we're also on the first page?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

this site is the 4th result for a search with keyword "spring"

I think we're doing just fine.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

If we're frontpaging the keyword "spring" we're pretty much doing as good as we can expect. Renaming to something more obscure would just reduce our hits.
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

evri1 clix http://www.spring.clan-sy.com 2 giv sprng hits!
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Complicated wrote:evri1 clix http://www.spring.clan-sy.com 2 giv sprng hits!
Google bomb!

Imagine if spring were the top result for the word spring! Millions of people would try the game! (dozens will stay for more!) Our community would nearly double!
Tactical

Post by Tactical »

Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You do realize that autumn and winter have nothing todo with the name of this project?

My pen has a spring in it.

He springs into action.

Jumping! It would be more appropriate to call the project the Jump engine
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

But spring is swedish for run. Everyone knows that. :P

Return to “Ingame Community”