Attacks on new players - Page 2

Attacks on new players

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

BigSteve wrote: Experienced players would comm nap my comm, build over my mexes, shout at me for doing the wrong thing, even though I was doing was blatantly the right thing at the time. 60,000 minutes, I know when to attack and when to defend ^^
Yeah that is pretty ridiculous. There are a lot of faux experienced players out there who don't know shit about the game, and I suspect that's where most of this is coming from.
kiki

Post by kiki »

It drives me INSANE when people reclaim my stuff. Especially econ, even if it is unnessary. I am HIGHLY EXPERIENCED now tho (lol)
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Answer to the problems, which is always been said.

Make newbs watch replays of good players, and not play terrible maps like newbmetal
picard

Post by picard »

Yes the main reason for this thread is to remind vets that if you dont look after the noob then the commuity will decline and maybe dissappear
I am sure none of us wants this.
As i said im still a little green around the gills and make plenty mistakes
I appreciate GOOD advice. and I have listened and understood.
The worse thing is when your team looses and you blame a noob
IMHO that is just plain stupid even if they didnt listen to your advice.
or maybe just wernt watching the chat monitor.
noobs are incapable by definition.
So cover their terrritory unless you want to loose that flank!
An experienced player who blames and then flames the noob is truly a very foolish player.
And is damaging the community!
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

A large part of the problem is smurfs. If there were no smurfs everyone would know who the new players were and teach them. Teams could be properly balanced as well so teaching a noob is not a bad thing. Flamming is also bad as long as they listen to advice and learn from their mistakes. Also Speedmetal rots the brain and with many games open there is an ok chance the noobs will join.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

I tried smurfing the other day (yeah, im evil) and couldn't even get into a game. I was kicked without any explanation from several games, and when I asked the host why, he'd just briefly reply '1 stripe' if he answered at all. After a while a newbie asked me to duel with him. I tried to explain him I'm actually a highly experienced player, but he didn't seem to understand me. Smurfing really confuses the newbies, who are the only ones actually thinking the ranks matter. Anyway, I thought I'd give him a lesson (the basics of the game, ofc :lol:) but we couldn't get into game because of technical issues - my connection being tricky dropping him after few mins and he apparently didn't know how to configure his firewall and/or NAT correctly for hosting.

Add the ingame abuses, shouting and bossing and you get an idea what's it like to be a n00b. I wonder how did I ever get past the start and not immediately delete spring for good. :|
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

The inability to even play a game is an issue. Noobs get kicked from battle loobies for being noobs and hosting can be hard, I only managed to get hosting to work after 3 months.
drolito

Post by drolito »

Google_Frog wrote:A large part of the problem is smurfs. If there were no smurfs everyone would know who the new players were and teach them. Teams could be properly balanced as well so teaching a noob is not a bad thing. Flamming is also bad as long as they listen to advice and learn from their mistakes. Also Speedmetal rots the brain and with many games open there is an ok chance the noobs will join.
i'm agree with u : smurfs are too bad, they prevent us to make fair teams and to give advices to true noobs :'(
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

Noobs were treated quite well when I started playing (cant remember when; I remember the good players were still playing xta tho :]).
I would just porc in a corner and barely contribute to the battle until later on and noone would really care. Do that now and more often than not you'll get abused and possibly kicked.
picard

Post by picard »

you know smurfs or not isnt really the issue although it would be better if it were possible to prevent it.
Even a noob can spot someone pretending to be a noob when they get their ass well and truly kicked. and if they play on the same side you just need to look at their economy/defense/attack its soooo obvious
Just as it is obvious when those with stars arent that good!
But really guys, noobs get a hard time its time to think more noob friendly if we want this whole thing to hold together.
Spring and TA mechanics is difficult enough to grasp if noobs make the effort of coming this far lets at least give them a chance of developing into worthwhile players.
AntiElite

Post by AntiElite »

Let the community decease by itself. Quit.
picard

Post by picard »

Let the community decease by itself. Quit.
Antielite are you suggesting that we just allow the community to die and dissappear without even care or regard !!!

What are you saying?

I happen to think this is .......
THE BEST RTS game ever, and I have been around a whille
in the gaming scene, probably twice as long as you have lived.
and believe me it wont happen again for reasons ive already mentioned
Take care what you say or wish for it may just happen
if more people think like you!
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Heres an idea, make an autohost that hosts replays...
DJ

Post by DJ »

how about having an autohost that has decent AI's in it so that noobs can cut their teeth there. Then by the time they're playing online they are passed the problems with using the UI etc and can concentrate on learning how to play against humans.

People don't want to be noobs and they don't want to piss people off either but we have no decent tutorials or easy to access single player stuff so how exactly are they supposed to learn?

If you want new players into this game you have to actually think through the process they are going to go through towards being a reasonable player. Not one person has outlined or discussed this fact in any reasonable way. FACT the average person on spring may teach a couple of noobs how to play but only about 5% of those noobs will ever play again. We play this game for us not to continually teach, so people get frustrated.

We need to automate this tutorial process as much as possible, this will give a better experience to new starters as well as improving the quality of games for the more experienced players.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

BigSteve is so true. when i sometimes pretend to be a noob just to see what happens. i get dgunning my start mexes and taking them. and all kinds of stuff like that. i think there should be a server for noobs and when you reach 100 hours you go up to the pro server. and in the pro server you start of low rank and work your way up again (like primary and secondary school).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Separate an already fragmented player base. Excellent idea.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

at least we will start getting more people. and there could be tutorials and things in the noob one so that when people join they won't wonder what to do then get shouted at and quit.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Even better when you have more than one mod so the rank won't tell which mod you're good at...
DJ

Post by DJ »

I don't think its a very good idea to have two servers. Another good way for a noob to learn is by spectating pro games. With two servers you'd remove that option
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

True but spectating is boring. no noob wants to spectate all the time.

Return to “General Discussion”