My story for the past month and a half(SPRING RELATED)

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

Ok, let me preface this with the fact that I am posting this as spring related because frankly my computer virtualy loling at me right now may calm you people down. Also my month and a half downtime is a big reason there will not be a TD release this Christmas.

Ok, a few years back I built my machine Sakiyama. She was fast and cool and frankly too much fun not to play with. So I was fidgeting around inside of her and POW spark! I was like well fuck, I should have known better but she boots up fine and I was like holy shit she is awesome.

Fast forward.

Spring sucks ass on my machine, I could not run the dynamic water and I wouldn't get higher then 30fps. SO I read the comments about lol buy a better video card and get a 8600 GTS. Which still yeilds no performance boost. I buy more ram... nothing.

So I say well shit a dual core is next. Before this happens my windows crashes. Well fuck, no biggie, I'll get this shit up in no time. However, checking my voltage in the bios it was noticeably kicking out odd numbers so I said shit, some controller did get fried but I figure well lets also check my ram. ERRORS! ERRORS ERRORS! Great, so that fucking dumbass moment came back to haunt me. I spent a week researching a similar motherboard and cpu dual core that I could get and NOONE HAD THE MBO!

Finally I find a friend who has one! LUCKY ME! Well I get the MBO and install shit! YAY! I even installed windows into my new sata... big mistake. See my bloody computer was fine until I plugged back in my media drive which was IDE! It immediately decided the IDE was the master and FREAKS the windows install. SO I repair, and repair, authenticate and then clean the old windows files off the old IDE.

WINDOWS CANNOT FIND FILES! what the hell, it installed across drives!??! I had never seen this with 98/95 but sure enough it had. So I said fine whatever, format reinstall, authenticate(bear in mind this is just calling india explaining the long story prior to all this and getting my compy oked repeatedly). Now.. what the fuck CANNOT FIND BOOT DEVICE.

So I reinstall and change drive orders, I unplug replug etc. Soo many reinstalls. Finally last night I figured it out! HO RAH, I needed to tell it to set the sata as active. So yay cool solution, lets reinstall on the other drive.

I have to format AGAIN, hours later. I am sitting here happily thinking about the l4 laser and I hear an explosion sound. Like a firecracker like pop. I think ok check the fans to see if one lost a blade. Then I realize the cdrom is making a funny noise. I think not now, not my cdrom also. No it is worse, the windows cd exploded mid install. I am not exaggerating, the fucking cd shattered!HOLY CRAP! So now the tray finally opened and I get 1/4 of the shards of cd.

1 1/2 months over 600 bucks and now I have to get a new windows cd and dvd burner. I cannot lie and tell you that I do not have teary eyed frustration over the whole mess.

So yeah, now, the lan party my friends were going to throw as a celebration of my graduation.. my machine still will not be up for. 1 1/2 months of frustration working through this and that and now I have a machine with a dvd rom filled with exploded windows cd.

So, towerdefense, gundam etc will not as an absolute fact be ready this Christmas. The files are safe and I do want to work on them both, I yearn to work on them but now I cannot even boot windows. Let alone do any spring work.

So get your lols on at my expense about the whole thing and my rotten luck. You guys are all playing BA so no big loss but to those who wanted to see the cool stuff I was doing... I am sorry you will have to wait longer, I have done EVERYTHING in my power to get back to work.

Links in post are not to pictures of my bad luck.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Well, I always copy Windows install to the HDD and then install from there. No CDs to explode and it's faster that way. Of course, you'll need to boot the PC from something like floppy or USB flash drive and start Window install from command prompt (for XP that's i386\winnt.exe, not sure if Vista can be installed that way) for this to work.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Poor smoth. :( I had to go through something like that to get my first computer (that I had built) to run, but it was fixed and working properly after about a month (PSU was bad out of the box, but I had RMAed the CPU and motheroboard first).
Erom

Post by Erom »

I had that "windows installing across drives" thing happen to me once while I was replacing a burnt primary drive - I was really pissed, because it corrupted the file structure of my backup drive, so I lost everything that I hadn't backed up to my remote failsafe (which I generally only use for important files, not game files and suchlike).

To this day I don't know why it happened - it's like there are weird situations where the windows installer goes Rampant and eats every drive connected to the machine.

Sorry about the burst disk - that _really_ sucks.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

once things start going wrong with pooters they tend to chain explode. bit like er windmills in spring or something.. my new motto is leave the f**k alone once its ok.
p.s. i always make sure i have at least 2 copies of the windows install cd before i start in case drive doesnt like one.
ps2 can anyone run dynamic water?

if you're making major hardware changes (like single to dual core) you must repair install if you didn't know that. helps to have a version of windows that doesnt need activation too.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

I think the only hardware problem ive ever had was when the capacitors blew on the motherboard of my old comp, frying the board and cpu (PIII 533mhz)

Ahh actualy the same comp got through 3 PSU's aswell... this one is okay tohughh, i tried changing the RAM timing thingies a few hours ago and it went a bit mental... restarted in a hurry :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Oh and on a further note, I had reuploaded gundam in between windows installs and fukt that up to. So I will be fixing that shortly as well.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well. That sucks, hard...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

forget the water and shadows, should play like 400fps at the start and at least 30 fps in any sort of game.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

TradeMark wrote:forget the water and shadows, should play like 400fps at the start and at least 30 fps in any sort of game.
Yep. Sad truth: Spring's best graphical features don't actually exist in any usable form for 90% of players. The ones that do get to use those features have no idea why it works for them and nobody else.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Pxtl wrote:
TradeMark wrote:forget the water and shadows, should play like 400fps at the start and at least 30 fps in any sort of game.
Yep. Sad truth: Spring's best graphical features don't actually exist in any usable form for 90% of players. The ones that do get to use those features have no idea why it works for them and nobody else.
It works because they have a high end geforce 6 / geforce 7 or better. It's quite simple :O
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Smiff

Post by Smiff »

Pxtl wrote: It works because they have a high end geforce 6 / geforce 7 or better. It's quite simple :O
i have GF6, 7 and 8 and dynamic water isn't useable on any. does it require a crazy high CPU or some tweak I don't know about?
shadows are not so much a problem (except the highest quality shadows in CA is also insane).
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

AFAIK, all you need is an SM3 card, 6600 or 6800 are the lowest end ones that support it i think, everything after that should work fine. Dunno what the minimum ATI card you need is. I have a 7800GTX and it works fine, i just turn it to reflective for larger games as it can get a bit laggy.

I dunno why it dosent work for you, ive been using it just fine since the spring version to use it came out...

Edit:

Windows XP
Athlon X2
7800GTX
2GB RAM
smoth

Post by smoth »

dynamic needs a higher card. reflective/refractive works fine on a 6000 series. If they are running lower then that.. I am sorry but you need to upgrade I doubt it would cost that much.
lurker

Post by lurker »

This community has apparently had ridiculous computer failure rates recently. My part was a bad mobo that pretended to be a bad psu and a few windows reinstalls.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ha ha ha epic

because I cannot find the PID in WINDOWS for the cd that EXPLODED I need to pay them 59 bucks to open a help session.

HA HA HA
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

MicroShaft at his best!
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

smoth wrote:dynamic needs a higher card. reflective/refractive works fine on a 6000 series. If they are running lower then that.. I am sorry but you need to upgrade I doubt it would cost that much.
Dynamic works on a high end 6000 series, as its they are shader model 3, they just dont run at a playable framerate, for that you'll want a high end 7000 series (7800/900GT/GTX) to get through whole games at a decent framerate, with everything else on high settings too.
smoth

Post by smoth »

and 8000 series makes everything go to pot

Return to “General Discussion”