Art request: Scar marks

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

SJ

Post by SJ »

Im planning to experiment a bit with scar marks on the ground after explosions so if someone could give me some textures for them it would be good. Preferably they should be in the same format as the tracks with red as brightness and green as alpha but any sort of image with brightness and alpha would be usefull
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Same size as tracks 128*128 or bigger?

edit

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Splat01.bmp
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Splat02.bmp

Image tags don't seem to work for BMP, I can do higher res if required.

/edit
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

OMG I am getting exited...!
Anyway, It's not possible to have a simple algorithm that randomly generates them, is there?
I mean, for the small ones, they could begin to look repetitive, and for the big ones, they could begin to look strechted.
Just a thought.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Wouldnt they be radial blast marks? as in lines moving away from a central point?
SJ

Post by SJ »

Hm yes marks with more radial components would probably look better.

I guess I could generate the scars on startup but I would rather spend time on other stuff than figuring out an algorithm for that.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Already working on new ones, the old ones were made using ink pellets. I think coding them is probably the best way, but I'll keep working on the next ones.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Sorry, I'm Probablie missing somthing... But red as brightness and green as alpha, what do u mean by that. I just looked at teh two images of tracks and they are totaly different so they were no help! I'd love to make some.

aGorm
jokerr

Post by jokerr »

Few different styles for you.I tested em ingame,they all look ok,but should probably be bigger.Image
Heres one at 300x300.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Reasonably happy with this one should be ok for a range of sizes and surface textures.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/botworld/Splat09.bmp

As it might appear in game.
Last edited by Weaver on 31 Jul 2005, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

AMAZING !!! asjdakldf├â┬Âsafksjkld... bl├â┬Â├â┬Â├â┬Â├â┬Âh... *drool* *cries* :cry:
jokerr

Post by jokerr »

looks awesome weaver
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

i just read the Dune book...is there a series or somthing btw? but i'd love to see a Dune TC for TASpring as i can't be assed to buy the (old) Dune games :) and its sooo cool Imperial Elite shock troops (Sardeukar) fighting with the Desert Elite (Fremen) 8) with knives and swords most of the time as well as OLD school artillery and rockets 8)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The style I was thinkign was more blast, they look like small cocnentrated explosions, mor like splodges from a small boom and not a large bang or blast, the radials should be visible from near the centre to far out, remember scarring int he middle shouldnt look like a buildup of ash.

There's the radial spider like blast and the crater boom. Then there's the inbetweens and those in funny positions. And a few more outlying bits rather than centralised.
SJ

Post by SJ »

That last one looks very good weaver. The only thing that might be problematic is that the red around the visible (green>0) parts should keep the same color as inside the marks instead of becomming maximized (255) since that will leak into the visible parts with mipmapping and bilinear filtering.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Adjusted and re uploaded
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

With the radial marks, If you look at pictures of the moon you can see some good examples. Look at some of the larger impact craters in this pic, and notice the lines spreading out from them:
http://www.fli-cam.com/images/Gallery/G ... 204web.jpg is the original picture
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Those are nice examples Maelstrom, I think the low gravity and lack of atmosphere on the moon makes the radial marks very long. I will have a go at some like this, but I'll probable wont let the marks be longer than 3x the crater diameter, to save the texture from being huge.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

I agree with the low gravity, but there is no examples of ones on earth, as they have long since eroded. And considering those lines are quite a few kilometers long, I doubt the map would even be able to fit ones that big. But dont forget that these impacts were made from massive comets, not little plasma balls and unit explosions.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I really like Weaver's. By the way, the first dune book was awsome, agreed, but the rest of the series sucks.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Just a hint for the screenshots Weaver, try to take them on a map with the light coming straight down, so you dont get the shadows in the way of the nice textures. I do really like the one on there now, you just need to add some of the radial marks to it to make it look sweet.

Return to “Art & Modelling”