Ubuntu APT repository

Ubuntu APT repository

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

YokoZar

Ubuntu APT repository

Post by YokoZar »

Here is the best, simplest, functional way to install Spring on Ubuntu and keep it up to date:

http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/SetupGuide#Ubuntu

Using the commands there, you can install spring, springlobby, the OTA content, and a bunch of maps.

Enjoy!
Last edited by YokoZar on 03 Jan 2008, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
semi

Post by semi »

Good job.

I have updated the instructions in
http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/SetupGui ... h_with_APT
to use your source debian package.

I have compiled .debs for debian etch i386 in a freshly generated debootstrap chroot from your source packages, and they are here:
http://www.springlobby.info/tmp/etch/
I built them according to the sequence explained in my SetupGuide instructions above.

Perhaps you could add them to your repo, or build your own for Debian Stable too? Debian Unstable can use your ubuntu binary packages as is.

Then we would get simpler installation for etch users too.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Thanks for this, i installed by compiling, how can i get rid of it, to use the easier debs?
Relative

Post by Relative »

clericvash wrote:Thanks for this, i installed by compiling, how can i get rid of it, to use the easier debs?
I'm not sure, but I think you need to remove it manually if you compiled. Everything will be in /usr/local

/usr/local/bin/spring

/usr/local/share/games/spring

/usr/local/lib/spring

and maybe:

/usr/local/games
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

stickied
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

semi wrote:I have updated the instructions in
Yeah, I can make etch packages (and Feisty ones, for that matter), fairly easily.
Relative wrote:
clericvash wrote:Thanks for this, i installed by compiling, how can i get rid of it, to use the easier debs?
I'm not sure, but I think you need to remove it manually if you compiled. Everything will be in /usr/local

/usr/local/bin/spring

/usr/local/share/games/spring

/usr/local/lib/spring

and maybe:

/usr/local/games
I know our SConstruct file is horribly broken and all, but shouldn't there be an scons uninstall option?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

scons -c install
Relative

Post by Relative »

Shouldn't this be listed on the download page and not just a forum post or an obscure part of the wiki.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Relative wrote:Shouldn't this be listed on the download page and not just a forum post or an obscure part of the wiki.
Yes, it should.

Although, the download page links to the wiki page.
Relative

Post by Relative »

BTW, yoko could you take a look at this .deb I made for aflobby:

http://www.unknown-files.net/3699/aflobbydebtest3/

I've tested with a number of people and it seems to work fine, but its better if someone with more experience looks at it.
HAARP

Post by HAARP »

YokoZar wrote:
Yeah, I can make etch packages (and Feisty ones, for that matter), fairly easily.
How about Edgy ones? Since you still maintain Edgy Wine packages, I figure this should be possible ;)

I agree that a lobby is needed.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

HAARP wrote:
YokoZar wrote:
How about Edgy ones? Since you still maintain Edgy Wine packages, I figure this should be possible ;)

I agree that a lobby is needed.
Separate packages is a bit of a pain, as I have to give each one a unique branch. Not that big a deal, though, if there's demand for it.

Edgy is more of a pain, since the build dependencies for Edgy and Feisty are going to be different.
Relative wrote:BTW, yoko could you take a look at this .deb I made for aflobby:

http://www.unknown-files.net/3699/aflobbydebtest3/

I've tested with a number of people and it seems to work fine, but its better if someone with more experience looks at it.
Post your source code please (.tar.gz, .diff.gz)
semi

Post by semi »

Relative wrote:Shouldn't this be listed on the download page and not just a forum post or an obscure part of the wiki.
Obscure? Doh, why the hell I ever wrote that setup guide if it's obscure...

It's structured on topic, covers everything you need to do when installing on linux, tries to be easy to follow.

Nowadays almost every time people pop in on #taspring to ask sth about linux install, it's already mentioned in the setup guide.

What do you need?
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

semi wrote:

It's structured on topic, covers everything you need to do when installing on linux, tries to be easy to follow.

Nowadays almost every time people pop in on #taspring to ask sth about linux install, it's already mentioned in the setup guide.

What do you need?
Maybe a more obvious link to the Linux setup guide from the download page. Right now you have to read a paragraph of text, rather than clicking a big Linux button.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

YokoZar wrote:
semi wrote:

What do you need?
Maybe a more obvious link to the Linux setup guide from the download page. Right now you have to read a paragraph of text, rather than clicking a big Linux button.
Bingo, just because people on Linux, doesn't make them not-lazy. People need the easiest ways to do everything. And now we have actual downloads, download button or link please.
Relative

Post by Relative »

clericvash wrote:
YokoZar wrote:
semi wrote: Obscure? Doh, why the hell I ever wrote that setup guide if it's obscure...

What do you need?
Bingo, just because people on Linux, doesn't make them not-lazy. People need the easiest ways to do everything. And now we have actual downloads, download button or link please.
Yeah, I didn't mean is was bad guide, I meant its not easy find if you are a new linux user. A highlighted and direct link to the wiki page is an easy fix for this.
Relative

Post by Relative »

YokoZar wrote:Post your source code please (.tar.gz, .diff.gz)
This just makes me look like I have no idea what I'm doing, which is completely true. :P I didn't compile any source code, I just used a pre-compiled release from AF. I also have no idea what a .diff.gz is :/

I just structured it as best I could and used the dpkg --build command. Here is everything:

http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/370 ... ydebstuff/
semi

Post by semi »

Relative wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean is was bad guide, I meant its not easy find if you are a new linux user. A highlighted and direct link to the wiki page is an easy fix for this.
Thanks. All clear. But I can't change the download page, I can only edit wiki pages as I'm not inside.

So anyone who can actually edit the download page, please make it obvious.

Clericvash, the ubuntu install method in it's simplest form still needs you to run 3 commands in a terminal, it can't really be "click download in a browser". Disregard this if I misunderstood your comment.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A word of warning.

That deb package includes beta 3.8 which is not a stable build, and the deb package was intended for testing not production purposes. Anyone who tries to seriously use ti will run into problems with autologin and setting unitsync paths and joining games that have already been fixed and improved in 3.9wip
longhair

Post by longhair »

Clericvash, the ubuntu install method in it's simplest form still needs you to run 3 commands in a terminal, it can't really be "click download in a browser". Disregard this if I misunderstood your comment.
The nice thing is that once you set up the repository, spring will automatically get updated the next time a new release comes out. (Assuming that the repository is maintained)

Return to “Linux”