Spring 0.76: pending stuff

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Alright, time for planning a new release. There are still two major bugs open I think, which need to fixed before release:
  • [FIXED] unitsync.dll problems (or unitsync.dll/TASClient.exe interoperability)

In particular (in r4601)
    21:14 < tvo> access violation in ntdll.dll after closing battle window and hosting again
    21:14 < tvo> first stackframe that makes sense is Utility.InitLib (line 179 in Utility.pas)
    21:14 < tvo> it may be that calls unitsync.dll Init function
    21:15 < tvo> hm and now I get failed assertions too..
    21:15 < tvo> unitsync.cpp:901: Call InitArchiveScanner before GetPrimaryModChecksum
    21:16 < tvo> but that is after I click away the segfault :)
    21:17 < tvo> only segfaults second time btw, third time and later I have to manually close the 'reading mod file' and 'generating unit list' progress
    dialogs
    21:17 < tvo> but no segfaults then, just failed asserts
    21:17 < tvo> maybe something isn't cleaned up properly in unitsync
    21:18 < tvo> and when closing TASClient I get another segfault (a read of address 0xffffffff failed)
  • [FIXED] There are still flying and underground units. I played a test game XTA v9.1 on Small Supreme BattleField V2 with Spring r4601 vs 3 KAIK with 100% handicap and around 40 minutes in game there had been lots of underground peewees, crashers and storms, flying thuds and piros and even an underground zeus of my own.
  • Replays 'stutter' (Seems the lag is stored too. Much worse then in earlier versions..) http://spring.clan-sy.com/mantis/view.php?id=659
  • [FIXED] Ctrl+move (keep formation) doesn't work anymore: the units move like 2 pixels/second instead of a reasonable speed.
  • We need played/team/ally number normalization in CGameSetup to accompany the TASServer SETSCRIPTTAG changes.
  • [FIXED] Starting a CA, S44 or FunTA game in AFLobby makes Spring hang.
  • Random startpositions doesn't work (they include specs in the number of start positions on map that are considered)
  • [FIXED] Replays aren't named properly. MelTraX and I got an unnamed.sdf for a normal game (ie. it should have got a name with map name and mod name included).
  • [FIXED] TASClient can't load new replay format.
  • [FIXED] SETSCRIPTTAG TASServer protocol change (will post about this ASAP, do not ask about it in this thread please)
  • [would be nice] TASServer protocol change to be able to dynamically update the backup server list (will post about this ASAP, do not ask about it in this thread please)
  • [FIXED] TASClient does not support the (last) servermode param to TASSERVER protocol command.
Features and other non-bugfix changes that are still worth implementing in my opinion: I probably forgot some things, so feel free to post. I will edit stuff that should go in this release into this post.

In particular, what's the state of every dev's working codebase, any features that are nearly finished left?
Last edited by Tobi on 21 Dec 2007, 17:11, edited 20 times in total.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Yup, have about 130K ready to commit.
- lua pathfinding (committed)
- AI / LuaRules interface (committed)
- LuaAI engine code (committed)
- unitTypes -> unitByDefs (committed)
- UnitMultMatrix() and UnitPieceMultMatrix() lua call-outs (committed)
- DrawUnit() call-in and SetUnitLuaDraw() call-out (committed)
- the SendLuaXXXMsg() calls (committed)
- decloakSpherical for unitDefs (committed)
- GetPlayerTraffic() lua call-out (committed)
- touch-ups for /quit and /grabinput (committed)
- etc... ;-)

- Started to help with the TASServer SETSCRIPTTAG (completed)

Features on my harddrive:
- UnitCmdDone() call-in (committed)
- MapDrawCmd() call-in (committed)
- gl.[Multi]Tex[Env|Gen]() fixes (committed)
- better free cam centering (committed)

Features that I'd still like to get in:
- FBO / RBO / VBO lua objects (almost done)
- Lua float arrays (classes are done, not tied into anything yet, ex: AdjustHeightmap())
- Custom Uniforms (unlikely that I'll have it done)
Last edited by trepan on 13 Nov 2007, 19:28, edited 5 times in total.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

While we are on the subject of a new version and a new lobby, it would be a very good time to standardize how lobbies launch games so that we never desync at the start. The upgrade to 0.76 is an ideal time to fix TASclient for everyone.

Right now, there's a bug with TASclient which makes it impossible to play against AIs in nonstandard positions. This makes playing co-op with another player against a swarm of AIs difficult, as you can't get them on the player start numbers you want - instead they are forced to go 2,3,4, etc.

If we fix this in all the lobbies, we can phase it in with the new spring release without having to worry about interlobby compatibility.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The AI issue can be corrected on the lobby end using tags that were added not long ago to script.txt

However TASClient and TASServer are holding back wider usage and thus they're unlikely to be used outside of singleplayer clients.

I would also like to highlight that my last attempt at running aflobby with an svn build of unitsync threw up an error retrieving the lists of units for restricted units due to a change in unitsync that made it always return 0 rather than the number of units that havent been processed yet.

I would also like to add a few extra java unitsync functions to reflect the additions to the unitsync API exports.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

AF wrote:I would also like to highlight that my last attempt at running aflobby with an svn build of unitsync threw up an error retrieving the lists of units for restricted units due to a change in unitsync that made it always return 0 rather than the number of units that havent been processed yet.
Assuming this last attempt was not in the past few hours, could you try again?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A quick overlook of the svn code it doesn't seem to be at fault any longer but Ill test.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

As a side note are we all done and dusted with Archive Mover atm? Is it in a state where we can add features or should we be bughunting?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

There might be the thing with it not moving some version of BA correctly, but I'd have to look that up.

I'd say, consider it done.
lurker

Post by lurker »

bonusshield will be done today
for reals this time
tell me it's not too late
:oops:
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

just fixed flying units bug, but noticed that replays stutter a bit (too) much...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Hurm... sounds like you're making progress, however!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Missile weapons with arc still aim wrong: http://spring.clan-sy.com/mantis/view.php?id=496
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

KDR, if you want a mod to show that effect in action, point people at the latest EE version, I have several unguided, non turnrate missiles in there using trajectory height.. and it is quite noticable.. they do not aim correctly at targets of any height difference..
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

luaui should be checked by default no ? and we could change the menu item background because the default one looks very cheap ! (I can make a new one if you want)

edit: and a feature request : could you add the unit owner in the bottom left details ?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Satirik wrote:edit: and a feature request : could you add the unit owner in the bottom left details ?
There's a fair number of tooltip replacement widgets, I'm sure that's a feature for those.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The changes to the installer script discussed in another thread and a few other things discussed in #sy have been put up in mantis in a patch.

I've added the necessary JNI bindings for the unitsync functions I added in a previous patch.

The status of NTai in the 0.76b1 installer is that it won't be in there due to stability and feasability issues as was discussed in #sy.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Has the problems with lua causing crashes been discussed before? It happens almost every game now, and it is even more annoying than desync issues of the past.
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

Fanger wrote:KDR, if you want a mod to show that effect in action, point people at the latest EE version
But... but... we deleted all our EE copies! :D
smoth

Post by smoth »

REVENGE wrote:Has the problems with lua causing crashes been discussed before? It happens almost every game now, and it is even more annoying than desync issues of the past.
what are you running? I hear of people getting lua crashes "every" game and I have NEVER experienced one. I kinda wonder if it is a widget you are using.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

REVENGE
Please try a recent SVN exec. If you get any error messages in infolog.txt
that contain "::RunCallIn: error" or "stack check: top", post the log so that
we might find the source of the problem rather then just hacking around it.
There's a chance that one of a couple of lua changes has already solved
the problem.

Return to “Engine”