Situation Critical - Page 3

Situation Critical

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

I need more icons if you are good at that.

If you aren't, this entire project needs a modeler that can work on remodeling all of the units so that we aren't breaking copyright law. That also means creating new "build" icons that you click on in-game to produce units. I need these specifically for the new Lobby actually.

If you want to help coding the lobby in python, I am always looking for people who can write mod-loading and map-loading routines.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yah, the build icons need to ahve a colour scheme like a certain tone, thats why some TC's or extra races ahve good looking build pics yet some 3rd party untis have good build pics but they dont look so good next to cavedog units in the menus.

Perhaps someone could code build menus that display wireframe models spinning instead of buildpics?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Ace07 wrote:That also means creating new "build" icons that you click on in-game to produce units. I need these specifically for the new Lobby actually.
This has been done. Taken from the UTASP mod, the file UTASP_UnitPics.ufo contains replacment BuildPics for all OTA units, save the core repair pad and half of the mines (and XTA only units too). You can find it inside this pack.

Off course it's so much more efficient to completly ignore what's already been done and try to get people other than the one who request it doing it again and again and again.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

mwha, I didnt know about that.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

I didn't know that anything like this had been done myself. Now I can work on getting the disabled units dialog to work.

Note: Is .ufo a simple zip archive? If it isn't, then I would appreciate it if someone converted the archive to zip. I hate binary archive formats that can't be easily opened with the zlib libraries. Plus, I highly doubt the current .ufo editor has a native Linux version. 8)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Use HPIView in WINE to dump the contents. Then just stick them in a zip archive and rename to .sdz, the engine can open that......
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

The new build pics should be more standerdised, the thing i hated about the cavedog ones were that some were looking from the left, some from the right, back, some were on grass, some dirt, some metal....
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Why was that a problem? I mean, once you know whitch units are what, their names and their build pic's then you are set and ready to go! Like a spent time learning all the build positions before Spring, then i got this "better" unit pic pack and suddenly i was like "WHOA! Thats confuzing!". So its really all down to with what your used to, and by now im used to the build pics that we have right now! Would chaniging them make the game any better or not as better once we have gotten used to them? No! so why bother changeing them and confuzing people who are so used to the originals that they could probebly sketch them in their sleep!
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

Because the originals are copyrighted.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Having different background and orientation on the buildpic make it easier to quickly differentiate with a quick glance. It's a good thing.

Return to “General Discussion”