Arty Screenshots

Arty Screenshots

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Maelstrom

Arty Screenshots

Post by Maelstrom »

Is there a way to remove the HUD? Cause while playing the game I have come across many scenes that would look really nice as screenshots. REALLY nice. but having the none to pretty HUD in the way would kinda spoil the effect. Also, is there a way to remove, or atleast temporarily hide the health bars? Cause that would be sweet. Ill see if I can recreate the scenes I was talking about and post them here.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

F5 toggles interface, J removes crosshair, removing health bars will be in the next version.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

f5 gets rid of bars at top and text box. dunno wheher it gets rid of HUD
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

It even gets rid of the mouse.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Cool. That helped alot. Now all I need to do is wait for the next version with the Health Bar options...

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/9919/screen17od.jpg

There is my first one. Ill try to make more.

Mabey thats how i can contribute.. Cool Screentshots.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

I also grabbed a few screenshots from a plane fight that I had ingame. Pick and choose the ones you want:

http://www.meh.niiil.com/files/Screenshots.zip

Some of them are better than others, but onver all I like them. What do other people think?
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

You have much to learn young grasshopper, but you are on your way.

Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well why are no cool ones like those posted on the site then? If I saw ones like that I would go make something better than screenshots. Like something that might actually benefit the game...

Oh and my GFX card is to crappy to draw shadows, so I cant really make cool screenshots.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I keep saying we should stick a v.good thin panoramic screenshot on the frontpage like a bar, all that text looks intimidating to someone new, and the screenshots page isnt exactly top notch.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well get Neuralize on it. Im sure you can whip something up. I mean look at those ones!!!

on another point, OMG KROGOTH!!!

Now why cant someone add that model into game? cause that would be THE ultimate screenshot.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Well get Neuralize on it. Im sure you can whip something up. I mean look at those ones!!!

Now why cant someone add that model into game? cause that would be THE ultimate screenshot
Cuz we dont have computers big as fridges. That model would spolde computer very much yes yes.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We only need build 1 of them, lets just at least see what it looks like in spring.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

And even if it is a less CPU intensive model, it would beat the current one by quite alot. lets face it, all the models in the game need an overhaul. Just up the poly count a bit. Then we would get the cool screenshots coming in.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

bit skinny for the CORE comm! :lol:
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Also reamebear that Spring is a game with battles with hundres, sometimes thousands of units. A small poly improvment would slow down alot with battles with 300-500 units...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Maelstrom wrote:on another point, KROGOTH!!!
Now why cant someone add that model into game? cause that would be THE ultimate screenshot.
Because no one has that model. It is a render by Cavedog, which closed down without releasing TA source nor the high poly model it used for its render. This model never left Cavedog office, which are no more.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

nooooooo

Anyways, is it possible to make the engine render high poly models, but switch to lower res models as it zooms out? Or would the switching of models slow down too much?
RightField

Post by RightField »

Kixxe wrote:

Now why cant someone add that model into game? cause that would be THE ultimate screenshot
Cuz we dont have computers big as fridges. That model would spolde computer very much yes yes.
Pff that would go easily into Ut2k4. Hell I could even pack stuff like that into wc3 if I wanted, would be pain in the ass for the low-end comps though. :P
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

considering EaW going to be using this technique i'm gonna assume its a bit out of springs league :(
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Changing models from high-rez to low-rez is not hard. You just nee a little more calculation in the code. Here is basicly all you need to do:

Code: Select all

//Calculate Distance between camera and unit
Distance = Camera.Pos - Unit.Pos

if (Distance < HighRez) {
    Render.HighRezModel
} else {
    Render.LowRezModel
}
Now that would no take much extra at all. Only for the large close up shots would it change anything. And with another line in there, you could make an option to turn the HighRez models on and off from the options screen.

But as mentoioned earlier, there is sadly not many HighRez models yet avaliable to us.

Return to “Art & Modelling”