non-cavedog graphics - Page 2

non-cavedog graphics

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

more like this?

yes
81%
no
19%

Total votes: 16

Gurkha

Post by Gurkha »

Can't you already make this using photoshop, the texture of the ground, one texture with the same size of metal, and making an alpha mask with the metalmap in greyscale?
yes, I suppose you could, but it'd be a bit of a pain to position it perfectly on yuor texture map. Instead you just make the large texture map and the map 'compiler' (for want of a better word) would then alpha it out to reveal mateal wherever on the metalmap a certain threshold was met.

Rightfield. You seem to be under a certain misimpression. If I could draw I wouldn't be using photoshop.

Oh, and I used: rendering clouds, layers, motion blur, more layers, edge detect, colour inversion, craclquer and some colour levels fiddling (off the top of my head, I may have used more). It's not just one filter.
RightField

Post by RightField »

Not really. Even I can churn out better with PSP 9, and that without drawing.

Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

ooh! i like that one!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Very crystaline, nice.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Anyone got any ideas for how to have something like a visible metal patch, but not as lame as a patch of metal? I have been thinking about this for years, but come up with nothing :cry:
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

to be totally honest i fucking hate metal patches with a passion... i think that metal deposits should be expressed through terrain textures such as the good ol core prime ground (and of course others). otherwise it is just so unrealistic.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

I am convert to the spring metal deposit system, I dont think we really need metal patches at all unless we want to be able to faithfully remake classic OTA maps. If we really must have suface indication of metal then a small hue shift in the terrain texture could work quite well.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Have you not noticed that there are no metal patches in spring? Just varied amounts and distributions and maybe some maps where ther're concentrated spots.

Eitherway I think they'd look best incorporated into the map texture as a streak of metal like they have coal in hills etc. Doing what ahs bene showed above is regression and doesnt fit with the engines 3D aspects. For example imagine palcing one of thsoe ontop of a metal deposit at the top fo a hil? Wouldnt ti eb odd having it there sitting flat with the ground falling away udner it? And can we afford to remodel every single patch to fit the terrain contours?

If you want metal patches do what people have done so far.
mongus

Post by mongus »

how bout, in addition to at surface level metal, metal deposits that are at a lower level, so, mining, (with explosive mines) must be done in order to get there. Also, a deep minning unit exclusive for this kind of job can do it too...
another unit could be a detector, determinning where are this underground metal patches.

it souds lame yeah, and slow...
maybe for some adv resources management system.
not for current game play.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Yeah I agree with Alantai, Weaver and shnorb above. Spring's metal map is much cooler than "metal patches". We just need some nice textures for zones with really high concentration, but that's about it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

In which case the examples above are reminiscent of scratchy stone like metal. And metals do not look like stones save those in ore form. Shiny, like lead or steel thats melted and formed a shiny silvery surface. Or maybe just a bit where the ground is slightly greyer and brighter than usual.
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

i think that if ground textures are to reflect in anyway metal deposits it should be something like this... http://www.trainzone.co.nz/texture-grass.jpg

you could have the metal deposits situated where the rockier ground is... i think that would make more sense, and look better.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

yes that shot is a great example
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Why cant we have a map like that?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Ashpen has such nicely blended metal patches.

Return to “Art & Modelling”