Transport changes

Transport changes

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

j5mello

Transport changes

Post by j5mello »

noticed this on Fisheye: http://spring.clan-sy.com/fisheye/chang ... g/?cs=4424

is there anymore documentation to this.

i tried droppin the flyover tags on a air trans from EE but no go

and yes i was using the test version
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

I just tried it out, and I can confirm transportunloadmethod=1; (paratroop behavior) works in svn 4448, I don't know about other versions since I'm too lazy to update. The "land flood" method also works fine, which is what I was interested in. I did have the fallspeed tag set in the transport FBI as well; perhaps that's required for it to work?
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

The fallspeed tag isn't strictly neccesary to get the air drop behaviour - it has a default value (0.2). If you send me the mod you are testing with I can try to reproduce this problem.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

Expand and Exterminate .173 is up on UF (if you've never played it the hub buildings are nano towers that build the facs cons don't...)

i did add both tags and i added it to the gd light transport helicopter
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

I used a search and replace tool to find all instances of the tag transportUnloadMethod, in your fbi files inside EEv.173.
You haven't used the tag in any of your transport fbi files, so where did you use it?
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

im saying i took .173 modified it for svn so that the tags where there and it didn't work. no matter if the other two got it to work im sure its something on my end so ill wait till the actual mod makers add it in... :P
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I found that the airtrans would only drop one unit per unload order, or if given an aera unload, would only unload as many as it could in one pass, instead of making more passes to fully unload. Repeat semi-fixed this, but it wouldnt drop the last unit without another command.

Also, is there anyway to mass-load units into an airtrans yet? Having it hopping around picking up units is a nuisance. :(
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

Aye, I'm working on a way to get transports to load in the same fashion as the land flood method. I should probably say that the radius of the circle you draw on the map will dictate the number of units that will unload there. The unit sizes are taken into account also, so you can fit 2 sumos in teh same space as 5 peewees.

This allows for you to queue up several drop spots, to unload 5 at one spot, 5 at another, etc.

I realize thats maybe a little unintuitive but I figured you might also want the aforementioned flexibility. I could force it to unload everything regardless of the circle size, or create a tag to decide between the 2 options.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

A tag to force-unload all units from one unload order would be useful I think.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Also, can we have control over how fast units are dropped, and force them to be dropped one at a time, like bombs, until empty? I know that may seem strange, but with that as an option, we could have transports that behaved like transport planes, whereas with the option to insta-load and land-flood drop, we could almost have helicopter-like behaviors.

At any rate, this is really awesome stuff, and I am looking keenly forwards to using this as the primary method of transport behaviors in PURE!
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

Here are the details of what it currently does, so someone can add it to the wiki:

Tags:
transportUnloadMethod = <integer>;
0 - land unload, 1 - flyover drop, 2 - land flood

fallSpeed = <float>
unitFallSpeed = <float>

These dictate the speed of units being dropped from the transport.
fallSpeed is used on the transports fbi file, to dictate the speed of all units it drops, unitFallSpeed is used on each transported unit to override fallSpeed.

For the flyover drop method, the size of the circle you draw to unload will dictate how many units you unload in that area, and the size of the units will also affect this.

Transport AI now calls the cob function:
'StartUnload'
which is called once when transport starts to lower during land flood method.

Dropped units call the cob functions:
'falling' and 'landed' so that you may start and stop a parachute animation.

Added lua properties for transportUnloadMethod, fallSpeed, and unitFallSpeed.

Argh: Are you asking about a means to adjust the rate at which units are dropped or the actual speed they fall at?
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'd like a tweak for how fast the Units are unloaded- for larger Units, it may result in borked behaviors otherwise...

Also, I'd really like a "mass load" that grabs everything that's appropriate within a circular area, and forces the Transport to land first, so that Air Transports would land, then immediately "mass load" anything in their radius, up to their capacity... it'd make a lot of things far, far easier...
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

The units are unloaded with a set space between each of them + a space dependent on the size of the unit, so larger and smaller units mixed together don't end up clumped together. I could create a tag to allow you to set that fixed space between drop points if you like. Currently, i'm working out how to get that mass load feature we all want; the path finding and various other issues are making it quite tricky to work 100% so its not ready just yet.
Argh

Post by Argh »

No problem, sorry if I sound whiny / ungrateful. It's just so close to being right, finally!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Pathfinding? Heh, travelling salesman problem...
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

EXit_W0und wrote:The units are unloaded with a set space between each of them + a space dependent on the size of the unit, so larger and smaller units mixed together don't end up clumped together. I could create a tag to allow you to set that fixed space between drop points if you like. Currently, i'm working out how to get that mass load feature we all want; the path finding and various other issues are making it quite tricky to work 100% so its not ready just yet.
I implemented a tag like that for default transport unloading... Off the top of my head I can't remember what it was called though. :oops:

edit:

-New FBI tag for transports; float unloadSpread
-Controls the spacing between units in an area unload command, works as a multiple, default is 1.
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

Cool, I'll extend that tag to work for the other unload methods then.

Return to “Engine”