old XTA - Page 4

old XTA

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

EnlightenedOne

WOO FBI FILES!

Post by EnlightenedOne »

Well i just completed the grueling process of restoring 0.95 stats to ALL of the FBI files from 'back in the day', theres afew unusual files such as the enterprise unit and the super peewee and such and afew missing mines that worry me but other than that everything looks to be going smoothly. I hear DR is making progress with the weapons or at least sinking his teeth into it. I made two spelling errors that the game found for me :p and I fixed them in a matter of seconds which i was very pleased with it just told DR that he had errors :P.

Ive removed thanks to gizmo the irritating, you may not build level 2 factories without a level 1 factory and the really irritating cloackable fusion before super fusion thing going on that drives me nuts (I appreciate the time that went into it but the idea of not being able to do such things bugs me).

All those dodgy new units are gone the annihlators cost has dropped by roughly 2500 in metal everything can see alot less and acceleration and breaking have seemingly had a global decrease, I noticed afew odd boosts that made things be stronger by making there metal need go down and have their health go up and their energy required go way up and their build time be the same, energy being the most available these balanced must clearly have crippled some factors of the game, and just by testing ive done alone i can see an increase in the need for precise decisions just down to less visibility :) its looking intresting.

Im not to sure on the 3rd step of a global balance for XTA being created as i think that would remove the point of doing this all in the first place. As some other steps could possibly do so there will be much debate over those factors to come. As i keep saying to DR, YOU MUST NOT DESTROY THE RICH TAPESTRY!!!

I cant predict when we will see a ready version yet as the weapons seem to either work great or be really really really well, none existant :p
1v0ry_k1ng

Re: WOO FBI FILES!

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

EnlightenedOne wrote:the annihlators cost has dropped by roughly 2500 in metal
what the hell? do you WANT games to last forever?
pintle

Post by pintle »

I would drop the cost of the immolator long before i considered rebalancing the anni tbh. If you want to make anni more viable nerf build time, and maybe e cost per shot
EnlightenedOne

Status Update

Post by EnlightenedOne »

EO - FBIs for units all complete and debugged
DR - Weapons Operation still being debugged
EO - Build restrictions Removed (thanks Gizmo)
DR - Weapon Accuracy restored to old styles
EO - AAI Sorted (thanks AF)
DR - Aquire cool debugging software that helped us clean up afew mistakes (thanks imbaczek)

We have a simple load screen at current and are using XTA version 0.95, if we dont like the end result or we feel like it we will go back in time to v0.66 as those versions are indeed very cool.

Kudos everyone for the noticing/helping so far, hope to have some sorta release later on, a couple of bugs to iron out and afew debates to be had
on what is allowed to build what.
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

ok well. the next thing is too debug everything. a couple of units i notice seem to hurt themselves and a few other bugs like that.

also a little spitshine is in order. i was thinking of remaking some of the old maps, especially those that used too be in the loading screens and those that downloaded with spring. and including them with the installer. so i shall probably be defiling the user mapping forum soon asking who too credit the maps too.

loading screens.
nice installer.

i dont think we'll go sofar as too remodel units. but im considering retexturing the commanders or something... i dunno, guess we just want too leave a fingerprint on XTA really.

like a dog pisses up a lamp post
or a chav writes "I WOZ ERE 2007"

anyway just got it running and im going too bed now. so all shall be dealt with tomorow.

we'll keep u posted.
D.R
Myg

Post by Myg »

This whole situation is rediculous.

XTA has a dev team with people working on it, and they, unfortunatly; arn't you.

"old XTA" as attempted to be defined by you, is not a set of stats, nor simply a case of "unchanging" what was done to it.

The XTA you want is now just a memory;
It was a great experience which you havent forgotten, but it will never be again.

People's enthusiasm for playing has diminished, people have honed their skills, and have overcome most of the challenges which drove that enthusiasm in the first place.

XTA is no longer the single focus of the community and their attention has become divided and seperated. The community no longer has the unity of mind it had before, and we are reaping the effects of that.

If you feel like you want to go back to a time, that will never be again. I suggest you move on to other interests instead of wallowing next to the nostalgic bonfire, whos ashes are cold and wet.

The "old times" will never come back for us, all we can do is remember them and discuss them with those who were there.

TA Spring was the engine, XTA was the mod. Like any other shallow persuit or human endevour, it will eventually diminish into nothing and cease to be.

The passion will die, the drive will fail, and we will; for a time, want them back, but they can never come back to their full glory.

Just be glad that you were there to enjoy it when it was, and then move on.

I urge you to consider this, and leave it to those who are continually developing XTA to do what they will with its name, and not try to hijack its identity.
Thanks
Last edited by Myg on 14 Sep 2007, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

No one died :P, developers move on but gameplay can be what it was the balance and scales that control everything define how the game plays out the idea of honing skills suggests a flawless pattern that can be applied, restore the old numbers and the patterns will shift into something less defined and thus gameplay shall be something of what it was.

If there was no enthusiasm then it would be a cold shell of a game to play now which it isnt, i just want to see where this backtrack leads us. I follow what you mean i dont expect any repeats of history but i do expect to have fun playing this modification XTACEV05.

It will be very similar to previous things you can never tell exactly what will happen with experience. 'outlook not so bleak' as the eight ball would say
Myg

Post by Myg »

Your attempt to lighten the graveness of my words is not well advised, noone is speaking of 'a bleak outlook' or death, just moving on.

You can only enjoy such persuits for a while before they become mundane/boring.

I suggest you re-read what I wrote and think about it.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

As much as it pains me, I agree with Myg. Basically I don't see the point here. Restoring an old version of XTA that was somewhere into the mid darkages in XTA's lifetime, and then tweaking it the way you like. It's not really old XTA, it's just a worse XTA balance mod than the current one.

Now if the project were to restore XTA 0.65SE, the last SJ version, and the end of a golden age, make graphical updates but otherwise lock in the balance and stats, THAT would be an awesome project! It has tonnes of timeless appeal and could really bring to life some of the history of our project, as well as making all the warm fuzzies well up in the hearts of the old timers with the nostalgia and all.

The current XTA team isn't SJ, but they are working hard and generally doing a great job. However, simply because they aren't SJ, what they do just isn't the same style, and while that's certainly not all bad, it would be nice to have the old style preserved.
FoeOfTheBee

Re: Status Update

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

EnlightenedOne wrote: We have a simple load screen at current and are using XTA version 0.95, if we dont like the end result or we feel like it we will go back in time to v0.66 as those versions are indeed very cool.
AFAIK, version .66 was the last version made for Spring. Is version .95 an OTA version?
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

im not sure of its origin but at the time we started it was the most out of date version we could find, we were trying to get as close as we could to the original and hence thiswould be closer to sjs work at the time, now we have an older copy were completign mopificitaions here tampering and experimenting, one so we know what were doing and two because its intresting. As i said we may go back further later on right now im not sure what were doing, were still testing out what we can do.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

myg sounds like somthing out of a dramatic sci-fi monolouge :P I reckon hes right though. if your problem is you like long porcy games you'll get just as spanked by clans at 0.66 as you will at 9.1 because its the general skill level thats risen not restrictivness of the mod, in solid balance terms not much has happened beyond cropping crazy overpower units and making each L1 unit useful in its place rather than OP zipper + crasher spam. iirc riot tanks do somthing like 400DPS in this version, for example. they do 160 in 9.1, and people are saying they are overpowered. GG
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

its not about porcing you would understand if you wernt there, skill level is different, theres no great tactics in killing a commander with missle bots, they can first of all see as far as they can shoot, the whole idea of having to use reconassance has been decimated, level one rules supreme untill afew pyros start churning, if you do go through the balance of the mod at present and you examine the difference in modifications to the teams, theres alot more improvements and beneficial changes made to the core side in all the key places, im not saying its unbalanced but im saying its different and you cant judge it as a simple matter of no longer porcing.

The term golden age is the best way i can describe it, i dont plan to dwell on skill level nor on preference of strategy its a completely different style of play. To make it more clear what im saying i will inform you we are now restoring 0.66 version after afew tests of 0.95 have goen through and we now know what were dealing with, weapons wont be modified for a while and theres alot of change to be made but i want to show you something different and preserve someone elses balance of the game i dont want this version to be tampered with in any other way but restoration.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

they can first of all see as far as they can shoot
LoS 363
Range 700
LoL yes
level one rules supreme untill afew pyros start churning
of course level one rules supreme until there is level two?

I would agree with the "core seem better" but that is entirely down to the AK > peewee in terms of practical use, and thats been there forever. that much makes a crazy diffrence. arm l2 wipes the floor with cores and a L2 mobile fusion is just as efficent as core minifusions. killing a commander with missles in 8.1 took more skill than the rest of the game put together since a comrush confrontation resulted in a patchwork of dragonsteeth and the com spammed them out likes theres no tommorow.

but you know, im interested. id be down with playing with an untouched version of 0.66 just too see how much has changed
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

but you know, im interested. id be down with playing with an untouched version of 0.66 just too see how much has changed

LOLts has changed...
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

my point is with all the LOS doubled something will in almost all battle conditions give them view of the enemy commander twice as fast as it would have before, why twice as fast? becasue of the doubled LOS of everything which undermines the need for a better plan than send rocket kbots at the commander
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

this being possibly the worst point in a thread too bring up the fact that the mod is finished and ready for beta distribution i am about too announce just that.

to the words of myg. however true your words may be, we will always try to recreate a place in time that we enjoyed, however foolish, or bleak... for that is the fate of mice and men.

however much i respect myg, there are points i dont agree with, for example, i at least dont expect or want XTA-CE to overun XTA-PE, you see, XTA-CE at this stange is merely a concept.

as its so vastly different from XTAv9.1 it will take time for people too acustom themselves to it, maybe this will help to decrease the amount of minor fixes buffs and nerfs that PE recieves.

EO and myself will continue to make these concept mods, we have another 2 in mind atm, XTA-CE 0.66 and our own mod of XTA. our own mods main aim is too add logic to the game to make it alot easier too pick up.

with all that said and done and the installer not yet uploaded i cant give you the download, but ill edit this post or post again in a while.

regards
D.R
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

I would like to try out your mod, but a windows installer won't work for me since I'm on linux. Could you provide an archived version?
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

umm yeah sure. its only the BETA we already have a long list of problems.... well not a long list.

all the problems seem to be inflicted by E0 and myself. its very nostalgic and amazing otherwise though.

i recomend any of the FFA maps.

atm we're very short on hosts for it, hopefully when i move next week ill be able too setup autohost when im in lectures or host myself otherwise.

twill be all finished in a few weeks.

p.s. ur missing out on the installer. its very pretty, lol, almost justifies all the bugs =p

D.R
EnlightenedOne

Dead

Post by EnlightenedOne »

This forum page is dead and should be deleted, I denounce all claims to Leo and to Redfox/Deadrabit along with any claims to this mod.

Return to “Game Development”