old XTA - Page 3

old XTA

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

FoeOfTheBee wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:XTA used to be the primary high end competitive mod. BA currently is. XTA was played at a far higher level than it currently is now. I doubt anyone still has matched SJ in his primetime at XTA. SJ vs Min3mat games were as entertaining to watch as any of the highest end BA games today.
I'd say SJ vs. Red Dragon was the best match to watch.
Ya, I was trying to think of the best players way back when. I knew mat was up there, Bigsteve was good, but he only really played team games, tired was good... Red Dragon was an amazing 1v1 player, but he disappeared or something :(
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

i always admired mother. though at the time i was novice so i darnt enter 1v1 matches.

but if there was a way to intraduce game ligistics. (not in our first release) so that u can imagine the result of your actions, the idea being that XTA would be easier too learn and thus skill would become more of a factor.

i was planning on making some good tutorial videos after we've finished and my computer has been unborked.

get some naration through an experienced game.. i know that theres some replays on file universe. though ive never looked through them, i suppose they wont work on current spring?

D.R
pintle

Post by pintle »

SwiftSpear wrote:XTA used to be the primary high end competitive mod. BA currently is. XTA was played at a far higher level than it currently is now. I doubt anyone still has matched SJ in his primetime at XTA. SJ vs Min3mat games were as entertaining to watch as any of the highest end BA games today.
You don't actually play XTA.

You are stating complete untruths.
tombom

Post by tombom »

pintle wrote:You don't actually play XTA.

He played XTA and was very good at it actually.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

pintle wrote:

if anything, swift used to be one of the best XTA players around. ~_~
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

i think what pint meant is he dosnt play xta, as in play it now or recently. v0.66 balance is pretty diffrent to v9.1
nemppu

Post by nemppu »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:lol, this is BS
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

we have a basic plan of action whereby 3 versions of this shall be released. at the moment we are working on the 1st of the three.

the first release will be basically the new graphics with XTA 0.95, if we dont like it, we'll probably end up going back too 0.6 though E0 is pretty bored of modifying FBI's

the theory is that the easier XTA is too play. the faster people will learn how too play, and thus people will become good players much faster.

the second release would be a re-balance between units. most unitype specific attack powers will go. (alot of weapons nerfed/buffed against air, and all long rangers have been buffed against sea) except for the obvious (AA weapons) differences between the same units on opposing sides will go. core/arm kbot factory will be exactly the same as eachother except for differing styles/units produced. and finally intra unit balance... which is the long way of saying that all lvl 1 factories should cost the same.

finally the third release will be a grand cost evaluation. ill figure out a way of deviding units so that an arbitary cost can be worked out for each unit. this arbitary cost will then be used too balance the metal, energy and build times for all units. i.e. build time will be proportional too the units cost.
exclusions may include resource buildings, i.e. fusions may have more of their cost in metal.

well, thats about all i have to say really.

everything seems too be smoothing out nicely for first release. i can figure out port forwarding and host some XTA CE v1

Xtreme Total Annihilation Clasic Edition Version One

(does XTA stand for extreme total annihilation? that was a guess on my part.)

D.R
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

eXtended, iirc. (edit:confirmed)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Sleksa wrote:
pintle wrote:

I was good enough to get into WarC when WarC was recruiting mostly high end players. But even then, I was probably always one of the weakest WarC players. That and Mat was friggin disturbing to play against when he was at his best.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I do not intend to insult swift, or imply he is a poor player. More stating that i dont agree with someone i haven't seen playing a mod in over 6 months commenting on the skill of the people who play it almost nightly.

And tombom i have every idea of what i'm talking about, 2 years of xta not enough for me to qualify my assessment of the people who play it? Flame moar
tombom

Post by tombom »

OK.

Pretty much all of the players of XTA, and any other "niche" mods, are no better than BA players and are deluding themselves if they think otherwise. The only reason they're the "best" at the mods they play is because of a lack of competition. There tends to be a lot of elitism from people who don't play BA on these forums/lobby that's completely unfounded.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

tombom wrote:There tends to be a lot of elitism from people who don't play BA
Oh, sweet irony.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Sleksa wrote:
pintle wrote: You don't actually play XTA.

I was good enough to get into WarC when WarC was recruiting mostly high end players. But even then, I was probably always one of the weakest WarC players. That and Mat was friggin disturbing to play against when he was at his best.

THat reminds me of when me and reddragon vs krogothe and min3mat on canyons in AA. We had already lost yet they still commbombed us. SO the next game on cold place, I pwned them both singlehandedly using nothing but ak's. It was beautiful :P
tombom

Post by tombom »

Peet wrote:
tombom wrote:There tends to be a lot of elitism from people who don't play BA
Oh, sweet irony.
Well ok w/e I kind of messed up my post by saying it like that.

Still, there's too much "BA is so unskilled all it takes is SPAEM FLASH TANKS! <my favourite mod> is so much better, it requires REAL STRATEGY and TACTICS! Every battle is a delicate interplay of carefully balanced units where the only thing that matters is player skill!". It's so dumb.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

tombom wrote: Still, there's too much "BA is so unskilled all it takes is SPAEM FLASH TANKS! <my favourite mod> is so much better, it requires REAL STRATEGY and TACTICS! Every battle is a delicate interplay of carefully balanced units where the only thing that matters is player skill!". It's so dumb.
but CLEARLY mod X is superior with its intensive gameplay compared to the ba's "LOL SPAM FLASH OR DIE" or " LOL I COMMBOMB U 2 WIN " I mean, real time strategy is all about strategy happening in realtime. not "spam clicks in real time" isnt it?
pintle

Post by pintle »

tombom wrote:OK.

Pretty much all of the players of XTA, and any other "niche" mods, are no better than BA players and are deluding themselves if they think otherwise. The only reason they're the "best" at the mods they play is because of a lack of competition. There tends to be a lot of elitism from people who don't play BA on these forums/lobby that's completely unfounded.
I missed the part where i claimed to be better than anyone?

flame moar!
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

pintle wrote:

I think Swift is right about this. Check out the recent change logs for XTA - they're huge. This leads to experienced players playing poorly since their instincts are wrong, and the results of their actions aren't what they expect.

You could see this a lot back when AA was rebalanced almost daily, it seemed. No one knew what they were doing. The same thing is happening to a lesser degree in XTA because of the number of changes in recent versions.
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

what happened to my beautiful topic... and how did BA get involved?

lol

anyway we plan on not releasing any modifications after we've finished with the 3 tests and the final version is released

personally i dont regard spam porcing rushing or combombing as problems, all are valid proven stratergies and all have their respective counters.

and if everyone rushes, the community will catch on. and so everyone will build turrets/defensive units early on and start playing larger maps. then when everyone realises that rushing no longer works.. different strats come about.

D.R
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

I used to be pretty good @ the old XTA

Return to “Game Development”