old XTA - Page 2

old XTA

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Here is the last spring version before the switch to XTAPE.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/dl/taspring_0.67b3.exe
pintle

Post by pintle »

Have fun making nothing but t1 gunships and crashers, and wondering why you cant build anything in the sea without e stalling.

edit: i forgot, op zipper/freakers
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

AND HUNGRY HUNGRY AKS!
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

and ravens can still send sumos flying off the map :-)
pintle

Post by pintle »

oh yeah and aa ships> all naval units
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Download XTA .66 here:

http://spring.unknown-files.net/file/35 ... _v066.sdz/

It's great. Wish we'd stuck with it.
Linebacker

Post by Linebacker »

By the way: is this XTA v9.1 an official release? Is there already a support for any AI?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

supported by AAI, RAI 0.55, KAI 0.12, NTAI with XTA profile.
that is, all the AIs.
EnlightenedOne

Wow

Post by EnlightenedOne »

Well the modifications are going ahead at an intresting speed weve hit afew technical hiccups but DeadRabit(mostly) and I are progressing onwards, hes had a fiddle with a fairamount of the build ques ps thanks for the much earlier versions foe suprised to see you around here as i cant remember the last time you played, anyway heres a quick leak on where were at. So far were using 0.95 as a base version, we can go further back later on possibly if were not happy with 0.95s balance when its sorted out. I know DR has run into some technical difficulties with weapon modifcations and he has rearranged the build ques into a more logical order.

Were considering afew minor changes such as removing the commanders laser and giving him a weak scout disabling after 3 shots paralyzer gun. Although changes like that happen anything were not happy with or the oldskool players arnt happy with can be changed when its experimented with. Right now were focusing on restoring arm (I personally cant wait to change the amount of health the Goliath has back to some redicuous digit).

One thing to point out that is that XTA has changed and the balance changes have been intresting and well thought out by the developers. If you have ever played a game of oldskool spring you will understand that this is not an attempt to stretch out the people playing XTA or too attack XTA but more of a means of restoring an old crowd of people in games I think had larger scale battles and albeit sometimes unfair games always very very entertaining matches.

When they come good In XTA 9.1 they get very good but when was the last time you saw 5 people on a cool map like Azures fighting over the geos in that weird ninja star type shape a 5 player match could go on for 2 and a half hours along time ago!

When was the last time you saw 4 berthas on each side of flooded desert and lasers lining the sea with goliaths and various other tanks holding the middle whilst everyone struggles to maintain themselves from nukes and storm the sides of the land with amphibious tanks? If you can relate it was probably over a year ago, damn that map is underplayed, and if there isnt something charming about how oldskool versions of xta played out then thered be alot less chatter in this forum.

I hope to see you all at least trying it out :p, controversially I feel that the map designs and amount of metal available have also changed with the mod design, very rare to have large ranged metal extractors these days, I like them makes it more territorial.

Everyone knows if you go ships you have a disadvantage in the short term

That was quite a blog, back to figuring out whats wrong with those weapons.....
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

actually when was the last time you saw multiple berthas or intimidators on both teams in XTA?
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

yesterday, also add 11 tactical nuke launchers for me and about the same number of antis on the other team, the sky was pretty much a large black cloud :]
not that I dont support you, I played a few games of 0.66 SE the other day and it was v fun :-)
pintle

Post by pintle »

BB/timmy have been buffed considerabley in newer xta.

Golly hp nerf? they have less hp/cost than reapers, which have less hp/cost than bullies.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

pintle wrote:BB/timmy have been buffed considerabley in newer xta.

Golly hp nerf? they have less hp/cost than reapers, which have less hp/cost than bullies.
Ya, but have you played with the 0.66SE golies? if you let a player get those up and have enough E to utilize them fully they are frigging monsters.
pintle

Post by pintle »

0.66SE gollies are the same as 9.1 gollies :P

Gollies are great at frontal assaulting hard porc, but in almost every situation the same cost in sumos is vastly superior, given their far higher dps.

edit: 0.66se gollies corpse is worth *far* less metal than it should, fixed in 9.1
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

also, i think the MAIN reason you dont see stuff llike endless lines of berthas trading shots with ships, bigger scale battles and 3 hour games was less to do with the mod and more to do with everyone being shit at playing it. after years of spring everyone is much better and have the ability to break porcs and end games faster. if we went back to 0.66 today i reckon games would be as short and fast paced as new xta gams are. you can still get bertha porc etc games in xta, you just have to play FFA or with noobs
Tired

Post by Tired »

Given that the majority of players online at any given time are still new to Spring, I'd say that increased skill (average player skill = potato) has little to do with the presence or absense of LRPCs, or any other unit for that matter.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Tired wrote:Given that the majority of players online at any given time are still new to Spring, I'd say that increased skill (average player skill = potato) has little to do with the presence or absense of LRPCs, or any other unit for that matter.
that isnt really the case in XTA though because its really only played by a small group of people. noobs cant really start with XTA because there is no other noobs to play with and the clans just bumrush em. ive played a few nooby games of XTA on autohosts though and i still saw endless dfens and LRPC wars.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Potato and/or desynced tomato.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

XTA used to be the primary high end competitive mod. BA currently is. XTA was played at a far higher level than it currently is now. I doubt anyone still has matched SJ in his primetime at XTA. SJ vs Min3mat games were as entertaining to watch as any of the highest end BA games today.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

SwiftSpear wrote:XTA used to be the primary high end competitive mod. BA currently is. XTA was played at a far higher level than it currently is now. I doubt anyone still has matched SJ in his primetime at XTA. SJ vs Min3mat games were as entertaining to watch as any of the highest end BA games today.
I'd say SJ vs. Red Dragon was the best match to watch.

Return to “Game Development”