Balanced Annihilation 5.61 is out! - Page 4

Balanced Annihilation 5.61 is out!

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Saktoth wrote:Yeah radars turn on and off randomly, that luarule is naff. We've become used to the 'BLOOP BLOOP BOOP' of radars going on and off all game.

Ive noticed little to no effect from the lab cost change. Its still a huge cost in lump-sum, it still presents most of the same problems of needing a comwreck or otherwise huge economy to afford. I think people need a lot of time to absorb a change like this before they begin to exploit it. The major effect would probably be on greenfields, where teching and every inch of economy matters.

As for shields, they are a wall, not a bubble. Put them between your base and the enemy bertha, and most shots fired at your base will skim off the top of the shield. Dont use them as a bubble and stick them right on top of your adv fusion (Though you can still do this, if you use 2 layered on top of eachother).

The problem with shields is that berthas can actually blow up the shield itself, if they fire directly at it. This is random chance- sometimes it only takes 3-4 shots, sometimes the bertha cant even do enough damage to overcomes the shields HP regen. A nanotower placed well behind the shield set to guard it will help to reduce the likelyhood of this happening.
That's a bug in shield code, not BA balance AFAIK. Basicly, since shields don't push projectiles up, a direct shot into the shield at the right angle can cause the shield to slam the round into the ground right infront of the structure. But:

A. it's extremely unlikely, and difficult to intentionally cause
B. Vulcans are still too inaccurate to be much of a threat in this regard, so vulcans still aren't overpowered vs shields with the new buff.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Pendrokar wrote:
Sleksa wrote: (still needing input from t2 lab costs affecting gameplay >_>)
Well t2 airports shouldn't have been changed, cause now I can quickly make a t2 airport and start bombing by building 300 metal(too cheap for t2 bomber) strategic bombers and make one bombing run that is already enough to finish off the game(afterwards players build tough AA)! Other t2 labs are fine!!!
Is it really that quick to rush those? The build time on the T2 bombers is pretty long, they've got a longer build time on each one than the factory that builds them. Are you using large amounts of nano towers or assisting build units?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

you guys gotta think about the shields in terms of vectors.

we all know that when a bertha ball enters a shield, it has an acceleration applied to it. the direction of the acceleration is the vector from the center of the shield to the ball.

if the bertha ball happens to be aimed perfectly at the shield generator, the acceleration applied to it is the exact opposite direction of the velocity of it. that means for the shield to reflect it, the plasma ball would have to completely come to a stop and then fly out the direction it came, and plasma shields don't give that much acceleration, nor should they.

bertha balls don't have to be aimed perfectly to penetrate, however. there's a relatively large zone for which a plasma ball can get inside. also worthy of note is altitude...if a bertha is on a hill and the shield it's firing at is much lower, the ball has a much better chance of penetrating the outer portion of the sphere, as the acceleration is more lateral than vertical on those portions, and if the ball has a lot of downward velocity, it's not going to stop.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

hunterw wrote:you guys gotta think about the shields in terms of vectors.

we all know that when a bertha ball enters a shield, it has an acceleration applied to it. the direction of the acceleration is the vector from the center of the shield to the ball.

if the bertha ball happens to be aimed perfectly at the shield generator, the acceleration applied to it is the exact opposite direction of the velocity of it. that means for the shield to reflect it, the plasma ball would have to completely come to a stop and then fly out the direction it came, and plasma shields don't give that much acceleration, nor should they.

bertha balls don't have to be aimed perfectly to penetrate, however. there's a relatively large zone for which a plasma ball can get inside. also worthy of note is altitude...if a bertha is on a hill and the shield it's firing at is much lower, the ball has a much better chance of penetrating the outer portion of the sphere, as the acceleration is more lateral than vertical on those portions, and if the ball has a lot of downward velocity, it's not going to stop.
Which is semi realistic. The sheild is a deflector. It can only put so much counter into the shot before it fails.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

hunterw wrote:plasma shields don't give that much acceleration, nor should they.
i disagree with swift though, it is easy to intentionally do though if you can get a spy giving LOS to the shield for the bertha to aim at 8)
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

well you can always put a small wall of t2 wall inside the plasma shield, so the shots either get repelled away or they hit the wall instead of the shield generator ~_~
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

hunterw wrote:
hunterw wrote:plasma shields don't give that much acceleration, nor should they.
i disagree with swift though, it is easy to intentionally do though if you can get a spy giving LOS to the shield for the bertha to aim at 8)
It's easy to do some damage to the shield gen... it's hard to acctually hit the gen body for the necessary 1-2 shot kill that will outpace a healing nanobackup.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

hunterw wrote:bertha balls
lulz
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Increased Ground damage of Avengers and Freedomfighters

lol I might have to start playing again
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

but they no longer get through 20 sams to kill my comm ;)
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

jackalope wrote:
Increased Ground damage of Avengers and Freedomfighters

lol I might have to start playing again
Its a sick joke, they do more damage to everythign except coms
;_;
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

noes

whar is mah commassasinations :(
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Hmm, consider giving the seaplane bombers waterbombs?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, the have Seaplane Bombers - and Seaplane Torpedo Bombers.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

neddiedrow wrote:Well, the have Seaplane Bombers - and Seaplane Torpedo Bombers.
Yeah, I think it'd be interesting and more useful to just eliminate both and put out a waterbomb dropping seaplane. Those are more useful than torp bombers anyways.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

I assume by this you mean that due to KDRS patches (Which are only SVN), we can create 'sinking bombs' that hit the ocean floor?

An alright idea (The seaplane bomber is afterall almost identical to the strat bomber) but torpedoes are still incredibly useful for their accuracy. Not having a torp bomber in the SEAplane lab would be sorta o_O.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

torpedo bombers do have a disadvantage cause you need an unbroken stretch of water a non-trivial distance away from whatever underwater target you're after. on maps with lots of islands and whatnot they drop torps on land a lot.

of course the main usage of torp bombers is to clear out whatever 5 or 6 leftover underwater mex there is at the very end of a team game so the unit really doesnt show up in many games at all until they're already won. they dont rly need a change, barring maybe some LUA that makes them fly only from a direction for which the torpedo will not just blow up on a beach.

also saktoth check pm
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Saktoth wrote:I assume by this you mean that due to KDRS patches (Which are only SVN), we can create 'sinking bombs' that hit the ocean floor?

An alright idea (The seaplane bomber is afterall almost identical to the strat bomber) but torpedoes are still incredibly useful for their accuracy. Not having a torp bomber in the SEAplane lab would be sorta o_O.
I didn't even realize we needed a patch to make this work, I just checked the units buildable by the Arm platform on unituniverse, and there is a waterbomber.

Main advantages are that they work near land edges and they can damage clusters of ships+subs at the same time.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Patch is needed, yeah. If something hits the water or not is hard coded. You could possibly fudge it with a torpedo with no speed or tracking but you'd have a hard time getting it to work.
TechnoTone

Post by TechnoTone »

neddiedrow wrote:Labs seem fine. Radar, however, are glitching. I'll have full E when constructing them and they'll switch off for some reason, though this error cannot be consistently reproduced.
I believe this is because of the following line in Licho's unit_estall_disable.lua gadget:

Code: Select all

elseif (energyUse < energyUpkeep) then -- there is not enough energy to keep unit running (its energy use auto dropped to 0), we will disable it 
Due to this line, when the unit is switched on (either when it is first created or when being re-enabled) its energy use is temporarily lower than its usual energy UpKeep.

The comment states that the energy use has dropped to zero but in fact it only has to drop below the units UpKeep value.

The script needs to ignore any warnings when a unit is powering up.

Return to “Game Releases”