Why does no one use SM3? - Page 2

Why does no one use SM3?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Fail Format is fail. Simple as that.

Time to go back to the drawing board, and abandon SM3 all together :evil:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Quanto042 wrote:Fail Format is fail. Simple as that.

Or like, fix it. Design wise it's an incredibly nice format. It's just broken.
smoth

Post by smoth »

it is a good format just broken as hell. I still maintain for natural maps sm3 is superior if it was fixed. Since so few of you make maps that require more then a tiling texture I believe sm3 will make your maps many times nicer.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Quanto042 wrote:Fail Format is fail. Simple as that.

Or like, FIXIT.
smoth

Post by smoth »

rather then just spout fixit revenge, why don't you start learning code. There is no way I am playing with code that causes my machine to have a system stop error unless you people plan to pay for my damaged hardware.
Masure

Post by Masure »

@the ones who know about map code :

Is the SM3 spring code is really hard to get ? I can't figure how hard would be that work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

there is a map on unknown files:

Masure

Post by Masure »

The author says it's 100% working. When I read the topic, I thought SM3 map code were buggy. What does it mean at the end ?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Masure wrote:The author says it's 100% working. When I read the topic, I thought SM3 map code were buggy. What does it mean at the end ?
Forb can only tell you it works for him... After all, he's forb.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Interesting I'll test it this evening.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

- no support for mapper specified decals (which is required if mappers want to feel as free as they do with SMF)

- some bad design decisions that cause bad performance and artifacts (because too many textures are used at once)

- some bug on gf8* series, probably related to vertex buffer uploading.

- no motivation/time to rewrite and fix the above.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Here is another working sm3 map beta.

http://muf.222clan.com/pass.7z

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

jcnossen wrote:- no motivation/time to rewrite and fix the above.
T_T
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

NOiZE wrote:
jcnossen wrote:- no motivation/time to rewrite and fix the above.
T_T
Agreed :(
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Q: Why doese nobody use Sm3 ?

Because you can produce Maps that - if you have really Talent with the Textures - come close to FAs, and have smaller Filesize. But as it seems, nobody cares about Filesizie ->
Battle for Eidola Prime v01 77.59 (MB) >> 1268 Dls Forboding Angel
as long as the Map is good.
Only good thing is Bumpmapping (the oiled Plastictoylook we all need ;) wish we could have that (and a better tilesystem)on standard Maps.. would let alot of Reasonsn vannish to use the sm3 thing...
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

PicassoCT wrote:Q: Why doese nobody use Sm3 ?

Because you can produce Maps that - if you have really Talent with the Textures - come close to FAs, and have smaller Filesize. But as it seems, nobody cares about Filesizie ->
Only good thing is Bumpmapping (the oiled Plastictoylook we all need ;) wish we could have that (and a better tilesystem)on standard Maps.. would let alot of Reasonsn vannish to use the sm3 thing...
now, if there was an ability to crunch SM2 and SM3 together, I.E. build 1 heightmap, 1 typemap, and X texture files, and 1 Texturemap+Alpha (alpha for bumpmapping), 1 featuremap, 1 splitmap.

now bear with me:

Layer 1- (Splitmap) I suppose we can call it (splits the map between SM2 and SM3)
-- 2 colors, black, white. black is SM2 White is SM3

Layer 2- (Typemap) Defined for both SM2 and SM3. if its the SM2 its the vehicle speed and all the what the crap, and SM3 it defines the texture used, bumpmapping, etc.

Layer 3- (Texturemap / PatternTextures) Colors the map, or uses textures to paint the map... good for drawing a road on a grassy map, I.E. 64x64 grass texture, and a well rounded fine tuned road on the map overlaying it.)

Layer 4- (Heightmap) duh.

Layer 5- (Metalmap) duh.

Layer 6- (featuremap) duh.

The coding to fuse the edges of SM2 to SM3 would be ... hard ... but the overall saves on texturespace + extra mapping quality = WINRAR!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

LathanStanley wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:Q: Why doese nobody use Sm3 ?

now, if there was an ability to crunch SM2 and SM3 together, I.E. build 1 heightmap, 1 typemap, and X texture files, and 1 Texturemap+Alpha (alpha for bumpmapping), 1 featuremap, 1 splitmap.
Essentially that's what you would have if SM3 supported decals... It's really not an effective system to have a millionXmillion pixle texture ever. But with decals you could paint all of the specialty stuff and just post them on the map wherever you feel like, effectively giving you the ability to texture SM3 maps in fine detail without acctually ever needing to use one giant inefficient texture.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Of course even if the .sm3 format implementation was completed we would still be up the creek without a paddle cos there is no editor, which is essential for placing and aligning the decals.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

mufdvr222 wrote:Of course even if the .sm3 format implementation was completed we would still be up the creek without a paddle cos there is no editor, which is essential for placing and aligning the decals.
Well, in the short term you could do it by mapscript. However, ya, hopefully someone would make an editor to do it.

The fact is the basic format needs the feature before the editor is plausible one way or another.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

hughperkins made an editor for SM3. (no clue in what state it is though)

https://spring.clan-sy.com/svn/spring/t ... pDesigner/

Return to “Map Creation”