TASClient (latest version available here) - Page 5

TASClient (latest version available here)

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

AF wrote:...
Lobby competition would be healthy. It drives ahead co-operation, increases the developer userbase, and gives developers a reason to actively look for and implement new features.

Look at the AI scene, for a longtime, competition was the sole factor driving AI devs to make better and better AIs for spring.

Having said that, in a system with many rival projects co-existing, merges forks and competition come naturally.
I don't think lobby competition is healthy as we have something like 5 dysfunctional lobby's for Linux. I blame the lack of teamwork and development processes for that. Competition can be a driving factor as long as all party's can "win". So you would need some rules to make it a fair competition. I think this can be done with AI's for example. But I don't think it's useful for a lobby.
Most Spring developers have other motivations then "competition" to drive them. I like to see Spring as a form of social hobby activity having to think of others as "rivals" will put me off.
Last edited by Tim Blokdijk on 07 Aug 2007, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Masure

Post by Masure »

I'm not against competition cause, as you say, it's positive. But it sounded a bit different in your post. But nevermind, I probably missunderstood.

So the only regret is the lack of Betalord's time. Hope he'll be able to merge that soon.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats the difference between all out competition and friendly rivalry, right now if a rival lobby needs a leg up to stay in the race Ill help them. My only concern is tasclient is so awkward to compile I cant do that and neither can many others.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

next updated lobby build on its way !

edit : - Run a demo replay with the right spring version if springVERSION.exe exists (eg : spring0.74b3.exe)

UBER FEATURE !!
tc-
Lobby Developer

Post by tc- »

I found a bug in TASClient when testing out SpringLobby and I'm not sure where to post it, so here will do I hope.

When server is changing to linage mode it's not updated in TASClient. This happned both when server was TASClient or SpringLobby. With SpringLobby as client the change is registerd so it's probably not a server issue.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats a bgu with TASServer IIRC. Quite a number fo bgus were fixed in TASServer but the server wasnt and hasnt been restarted since.

For example, svn is able to use the #[] channel but #[] is a bad channel name in the current server.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

tc- wrote:I found a bug in TASClient when testing out SpringLobby and I'm not sure where to post it, so here will do I hope.

When server is changing to linage mode it's not updated in TASClient. This happned both when server was TASClient or SpringLobby. With SpringLobby as client the change is registerd so it's probably not a server issue.
fixed
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

what do you think of adding a button "Related sites" or "?" or tell me what, next to Search UF that show a popupmenu with a link to the wiki, the messageboard, the bug tracker, unknown-files, spring league, spring replays, spring mark (i know some of you hates it) ...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That would be a useful feature. If you could have a secondary dropdown when the focus is on Wiki, perhaps you could have it load and display the major categories available from the main page as well.
LBPB

Post by LBPB »

I just dled the last version.
Nice you've added the lock team option. Its 100% uber useful.

Satirik wrote:what do you think of adding a button "Related sites" or "?" or tell me what, next to Search UF that show a popupmenu with a link to the wiki, the messageboard, the bug tracker, unknown-files, spring league, spring replays, spring mark (i know some of you hates it) ...
yeah just remove that shity option button
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i'll remove the springmark button if i add a Useful link button
Last edited by Satirik on 09 Jan 2008, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

should the lobby sort the players by ally team ? and put some kind of separator between them ?
Masure

Post by Masure »

Why not.

You could sort the list by ally and add a top item to the list for each ally. In this top split line, try to add ally info like player count.

This would probably mess up the code with this dummy line and the column definition wouldn't be right for it.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Masure wrote:Why not.

You could sort the list by ally and add a top item to the list for each ally. In this top split line, try to add ally info like player count.

This would probably mess up the code with this dummy line and the column definition wouldn't be right for it.
i tried but i don't like , when you have 16players + 4 lines for teams + 1 line for spectator you don't see the whole list and scrolling to see if the game is balanced, or in what team a player is ... is not good for an overall knowledge of you battle
LBPB

Post by LBPB »

One thing that would be cool now, is improving the 'disable units' fonction.

Now with the numerous mods availables it become really hard to know each single units codename. And so disabling one of them is really hard if you dont know his correct codename.

A solution to help recognize easily an units would be to show the buildpic linked with his codename.
All buildpics are stored in the same folder in the mod zip file.

Was just my 2 cents improving the lobby...
Masure

Post by Masure »

I understand the request but I never played games with restricted units. Did you ?
LBPB

Post by LBPB »

Masure wrote:I understand the request but I never played games with restricted units. Did you ?
Yes it can append
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i could add the full name of the unit instead of its code name as in the "Disable Unit Dialog" but for the icons ... i will try
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Awesome changes, but imo sorting of the playerlist by teams should be an option as Spring uses the order of players joined for start positions, and knowing who the host is is usually pretty important, and easy to find out when you know he's the one at the top of the list.

Edit: And I've played games with restriced units, weasels and snipers, when those were overpowered. And I've sometimes disabled LRPCs because I hate them and I've often considered disabling t1 air transports.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

ZellSF wrote:Awesome changes, but imo sorting of the playerlist by teams should be an option as Spring uses the order of players joined for start positions, and knowing who the host is is usually pretty important, and easy to find out when you know he's the one at the top of the list.

Edit: And I've played games with restriced units, weasels and snipers, when those were overpowered. And I've sometimes disabled LRPCs because I hate them and I've often considered disabling t1 air transports.
ill add something to show the hoster in the list and it just sort the display list not the real one

Return to “Engine”